Veteran's Day Departure from San Diego

vms

I read in another thread that San Diego really celebrates Veteran's Day. I'm leaving on 11/11/18 on the Eurodam and wondering what do I need to know about departing on that day? Will there be road closures/detours/parades/events in the morning that could make getting to the ship on time more complicated than normal? Are there interesting things to do that morning before I board, or since it's also a Sunday, will there be many things closed?

Good question and it's smart to plan ahead. While there haven't yet been announcements about 2018 events, the 2017 Veterans' Day Parade took place from 11:00am - 1:00pm. The parade route is along Harbor Blvd. which means it goes right past the ship. Here's a link to information about the 2017 parade:

http://www.kpbs.org/events/2017/nov/11/31st-annual-san-diego-veterans-day-parade/?et=84021

This means traffic will be a nightmare all morning and probably until 2-3pm. It's possible that the ship will delay boarding and departure to allow all passengers to get aboard. I'd try calling Holland America and asking if they plan any special boarding procedures. Harbor Blvd will be closed at some point and you can't get to the pier without driving on or at least crossing Harbor Blvd.

One possible solution: Fly in a day early (which I hope you're doing anyway!) and book a room at the Wyndam San Diego Bayside. It's on Harbor Blvd, right across the street from the pier. You should be able to walk your luggage across the street around 10:00am, before it closes for the parade. You can then either find a spot along the route to watch the parade or board the ship as early as they'll let you and watch the parade from the ship!.

As to your other question, no businesses will be closed - they'll all be happy to take your money. Within a block of so of the pier you can tour the Midway (though it will also probably be packed on Veteran's Day) or visit the Maritime Museum and the Star of India. It sounds like an exciting day if you can get the logistics right!

There's also a Spring Hill Suites very close to the pier if the Wyndam is full or too expensive.

Edited by Kartgv

Agree that there might be a parade along the harbor front. Nothing will be closed. The Midway usually has a special event that day so there may be more people than usual there.

There are tons of hotels since the pier is right in downtown San Diego.

The Wyndham is the closest but there are many more within a few blocks.

The parade will not be all day long.

I beg to differ that nothing will be closed. On Federal holidays, it's not unusual for banks, post offices, state and local government offices, possibly schools, and of course Federal offices to be closed.

Roz

I beg to differ that nothing will be closed. On Federal holidays, it's not unusual for banks, post offices, state and local government offices, possibly schools, and of course Federal offices to be closed.

Roz

Since Veteran's Day is on a Sunday, those places would be closed even without a holiday. Some places may be closed on Monday but by that time the ship will be at sea!

Since Veteran's Day is on a Sunday, those places would be closed even without a holiday. Some places may be closed on Monday but by that time the ship will be at sea!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. In that case, the traffic due to Veteran's Day celebrations shouldn't be as big a factor.

Roz

<sigh>-Usually when cruisers ask about things closing they mean stores, restaurants and places to go sightseeing, They don't usually ask about government offices!

Since it is a Sunday I doubt if the Post Office or bank closing would have any affect at all on visitors.

Veteran's Day is always honored on the 10th no matter what day of the week. Some business (private, local, state) give Friday or Monday as a day off. But there's no hard rule. So Monday shouldn't be an issue any more than any other day in San Diego. I am guessing all the parades etc will be on Sunday. Sunday should be a great day to be in San Diego to honor our Veterans.

Veteran's Day is always honored on the 10th no matter what day of the week. Some business (private, local, state) give Friday or Monday as a day off. But there's no hard rule. So Monday shouldn't be an issue any more than any other day in San Diego. I am guessing all the parades etc will be on Sunday. Sunday should be a great day to be in San Diego to honor our Veterans.

Again, excuse my stupidity and ignorance. Veteran's Day commemorates the WWI Armistice, which was signed at the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month. Why then does SD, a city with a big military presence, celebrate it on November 10???

Roz

Mom sailed on Veterans Day out of San Diego. Allow extra time to get to port. She said it was horrendous getting to port from airport parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, it's November 11th and always will be. I got it confused with another important holiday DW birthday is the 10th.

Thanks for the correction. History was one of my best subjects in school, and something I'm still very interested in. I was really starting to question my mental status. :D

Roz

I agree the best plan would be to fly into San Diego the day before your departure, and either stay in a hotel that is easy walking distance to the pier (there are a number) or is a trolley (light rail) ride away from the train station, which is 2 blocks to the pier. I would not consider taking a cab/Uber/Lyft as streets will be closed to motor vehicles.