Anyone done Viking’s “In Search of Northern Lights” itinerary?

TravelSmith24

We did a Nothern Lights cruise in February 2012, with the Fred Olsen cruise line (British based). It was absolutely amazing. If there are any specific questions, I might be able to help.

Thanks for joining the conversation. How rough was the water during your sailing?

Having spent over 40 yrs working at sea, while I haven't sailed along the Norwegian Coast, I have crossed the N Atlantic too many times. The weather is at best un-predictable. What weather was experienced on a short cruise is not indicative of the average weather/sea conditions.

In open waters, in winter, you can expect reasonably calm to storms with 20' + seas.

Thanks for joining the conversation. How rough was the water during your sailing?

We experienced some pretty rough seas. The ship had been scheduled to sail up the Atlantic coast of Norway (we left from Southampton, UK) but because the seas were bad, the decision was made to sail the Inside Passage, which is more sheltered and gives absolutely breathtaking views. So the initially poor weather benefitted us! It calmed down later in the cruise and we enjoyed sailing along fjords with clear skies and the aurora performing in the skies over our heads. I also loved sailing whilst it was snowing.

It is VERY cold up there in the winter. Do not underestimate the type of clothes you need. Think 'Arctic Explorer' and you will be fine!

Jammy Bun I would never have thought a man would call himself Jammy Bun but I wonder if people who read the blog got confused because your husband wrote the blog and you post here. The blog is great and very funny (but I am still watching 30 year old British comedies for the humor). My favorite comment was on the old entertainment by people who never got off the ship. We were just on a river cruise in Germany that had very good entertainment but of a sort that would have been popular 30-50 years ago. Have these people just lived along the Moselle and Rhine for all those years practicing old instruments and songs?

On another note, your description about the weather seas, and viewing way up North in the winter are excellent. If I were younger, I would consider such a trip but with the realistic knowledge that weather, clouds,seas and auroras might never cooperate.

Jammy Bun I would never have thought a man would call himself Jammy Bun but I wonder if people who read the blog got confused because your husband wrote the blog and you post here. The blog is great and very funny (but I am still watching 30 year old British comedies for the humor). My favorite comment was on the old entertainment by people who never got off the ship. We were just on a river cruise in Germany that had very good entertainment but of a sort that would have been popular 30-50 years ago. Have these people just lived along the Moselle and Rhine for all those years practicing old instruments and songs?

On another note, your description about the weather seas, and viewing way up North in the winter are excellent. If I were younger, I would consider such a trip but with the realistic knowledge that weather, clouds,seas and auroras might never cooperate.

Thank you Dhsamso for your nice comments. Both my OH and myself write for the blogs, but my contributions tend to be more factual than his. And his use of photoshop can sometimes be a tad overenthusiastic!

I guess the nickname might have different connotations in different parts of the world... Here in the UK a bun is generally recognised as a small cake, or sometimes a bread roll, and jam is what Americans would call jelly - but 'jammy' can also be used a slang word, meaning lucky. My name dates back almost 60 years, when I was part of a little group of girls who all had the first initial 'J', so we had our own secret names for each other - everyone was called Jammy, combined with a cake name corresponding to the initial of their surname. Haha - complicated huh?

All my knowledge of UK buns etc come from watching the Great British Bake-Off-I knew it was a bun with jam but very interesting that you got that nickname from being Janet B! I am enjoying reading all these threads while I wait impatiently for our end of July Midnight Sun (not so much by then) cruise. The blog is good reading. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:54 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Roll calls are in a separate forum and then subdivided by ship. Viking Ocean Roll Calls. Using the "Find Your Roll Call" tool can be hit or miss and the best way to find a roll call is still to navigate to the correct forum and then use the search function or even just read down the list of roll calls until you find what you are looking for.

Viking Sky - March 14, 2019 - "In Search of the Northern Lights"

Viking Sky - March 2, 2019 "In Search of the Northern Lights"

Search for Northern Lights - Jan 13 2019

Viking Sky ~ Jan 25 - Feb 6 2019 ~ In Search of the Northern Lights

Viking Sky Feb 6, 2019 "In Search of the Northern Lights

In Search of the Northern Lights, March 2, 2019

In Search of the Northern Lights February 18, 2019 - Mar 2,2019

Krisval, there are two March 2 roll calls. If you report it to the moderators, they will combine them into one

We are doing the first cruise on Jan13th. Keep looking in for updates.  Staying in the Ice Hotel while in Alta. Need to buy some wool clothing. 

Mark