Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Hoping for some help and for some contact information. We are a group of 5. My dad is going to be 89! We are bringing a wheelchair for longer distances, but usually at home, he doesn't use one. He is also visually impaired so we definitely have to assist him. I didn't want him to be stuck on a ship all day while in port. We will probably walk/wheel him around the royal dockyard for part of the first day.

As for the second day, I thought a taxi tour would be a safe bet. Can someone recommend a pre-arranged taxi tour for a group of 5? I see some recommended here, but I wasn't sure how to get contact information for these folks or how to reserve them. We are looking to do about a 3-4 hour tour. I would love to pre-arrange it as we would need to make at least or two restroom stops for my dad (medication) during the tour. So something more personalized for our group would be best.

Thanks in advance!

Lewis Foggo has a big van and he was able to take my scooter in it, but my scooter folds up and I was able to climb into the van on my own. I don't know if his van will take 5 or not. Lewis Foggo <lewis_foggo@hotmail.com>

Not sure if it was even mentioned in this thread, but be careful if arriving on a Saturday and you didn't book a driver in advance. Many are Seventh Day Adventists and don't work on Saturday. We had to wait over an hour last week in the hot sun and then our driver could only spend 2.5 hours with us because he had to pick up someone else. There were literally no taxis at the dock and plenty of upset people sitting in the waiting area.

Not sure if it was even mentioned in this thread, but be careful if arriving on a Saturday and you didn't book a driver in advance. Many are Seventh Day Adventists and don't work on Saturday. We had to wait over an hour last week in the hot sun and then our driver could only spend 2.5 hours with us because he had to pick up someone else. There were literally no taxis at the dock and plenty of upset people sitting in the waiting area.

Surprised to hear that. I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning having a problem getting a taxi on a Saturday.

On another thread, a poster who just returned from Bermuda has reported the death of popular taxi tour driver Dennis Hollis:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2648278

I am so sorry to hear this. We just took a private tour with him on May 28th. He was awesome ! [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my first official post on the cruise boards. First of all I want to thank those that take the time to post. I have made many good choices on my cruises because of your good advice.

We just came back from our NCL cruise to Bermuda 2 weeks ago. It was here that I got the idea to hire a private guide to get to know the island better and customize the things we wanted to do. It was the best decision we’ve ever made. We hired Lewis Foggo. He has been recommended on this thread. There are not enough words to describe how amazing his service was. We hired him for two days for our group of 8. From the first e-mail communication, he was great. He took us around the island, gave us a feedback and took us everywhere we wanted to see. The best part of having him, is that he is a local and he can show us things that we would’ve not known to go see. He took us to the best beaches close to the “popular ones” but they were even better because they were not crowded. My kids were able to do cliff jumping twice because of his suggestions. His car is brand new and in great shape. Lewis is nice, knowledgeable and had a great personality to interact with both adults and kids as well.

His contact is lewis_foggo@hotmail.com, phone number is 441-704-2109

The rate that we were charged was $10 per person per hour and he requires a minimum of 4 hours.

This is my first official post on the cruise boards. First of all I want to thank those that take the time to post. I have made many good choices on my cruises because of your good advice.

We just came back from our NCL cruise to Bermuda 2 weeks ago. It was here that I got the idea to hire a private guide to get to know the island better and customize the things we wanted to do. It was the best decision we’ve ever made. We hired Lewis Foggo. He has been recommended on this thread. There are not enough words to describe how amazing his service was. We hired him for two days for our group of 8. From the first e-mail communication, he was great. He took us around the island, gave us a feedback and took us everywhere we wanted to see. The best part of having him, is that he is a local and he can show us things that we would’ve not known to go see. He took us to the best beaches close to the “popular ones” but they were even better because they were not crowded. My kids were able to do cliff jumping twice because of his suggestions. His car is brand new and in great shape. Lewis is nice, knowledgeable and had a great personality to interact with both adults and kids as well.

His contact is lewis_foggo@hotmail.com, phone number is 441-704-2109

The rate that we were charged was $10 per person per hour and he requires a minimum of 4 hours.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this detailed review about your tour with Lewis! I also booked him for a 6 hour tour on our first Bermuda cruise this October so I am even more excited about my decision now! I agree he has been wonderful planning via email and receptive to everything I proposed to do (different than the ‘standard’ island Tours since we aren’t into visiting old buildings, museums, stuff like that) and I look forward to his suggestions as well on the day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your recommendations. In corresponding with a guide for a 6-hour tour, I am being advised of the $70 per hour rate identified on this board of $420 with a $200 up front deposit (of which $100 is not refundable in case of cancellation) and a suggested gratuity of 18 to 20%. Is all that in line with what you see for all private tours on the island?

Thank you for your response!

Thank you for your recommendations. In corresponding with a guide for a 6-hour tour, I am being advised of the $70 per hour rate identified on this board of $420 with a $200 up front deposit (of which $100 is not refundable in case of cancellation) and a suggested gratuity of 18 to 20%. Is all that in line with what you see for all private tours on the island?

Thank you for your response!

Is that per person or per vehicle? If per vehicle it sounds in line if you are five or more, that would be the taxi rate per hour for the vehicle. You don’t say if it is a taxi tour or a private guide. Sounds like a private guide because of the deposit. The private guide could charge any rate but I would not be surprised if it were not similar to the the taxi tour rates. Some of the private tour operators charge a flat rate per person for the day but if you do the math at the end of the day it comes out about the same for a tour as a taxi tour. As for gratuity that is at your discretion. My suggestion is to start at 15% and tip more depending on how happy you are with the tour.

This is the official Bermuda information on taxi rates:

While you can take any taxi for a tour, ideally you should look for ones that have blue flags fluttering or a blue flag insignia on their bonnets. Then you know that the taxi driver is also a government certified tour guide of Bermuda. Such taxis are known as Blue Flag Taxis and the drivers are Blue Flag Certified Tour Guides. Their tour rates are the same as any other taxis which is fixed by the government. These taxi drivers usually have a wealth of knowledge about the island. They have successfully gone through the test and certification process of Government of Bermuda.

Update May 2014: The taxi tour rates have been revised effective May 1, 2014. This is the first revision since December 2007. Up to 4 passengers, the rate is now $50 per hour (instead of earlier $40 per hour). For 5 to 7 passengers, the rate is $70 per hour (instead of earlier $55 per hour). Note that if a larger taxi agrees to carry 4 or less passengers for sightseeing tour, they should charge the lower rate (i.e. $50 per hour). This rate is fixed by the Government. The Blue Flag taxis should also charge the same.

Unlike the case when you take metered taxis, the rates for taxi tours do not change even on Sundays or public holidays, or at night. The above rates are excluding gratuity or tips. A 15% tips is appropriate. You can also book a taxi for half-day or full day. But remember that the taxi drivers in Bermuda are all self employed. So they usually work based on their own convenience.

Taxis in Bermuda come in two sizes - the smaller ones can carry up to 4 passengers and the larger ones up to 7 passengers. Taxi tours operate by hourly rate.

Some taxis in Bermuda are wheelchair accessible and are suitable for persons having physical challenges or disability. Taxi drivers in Bermuda are not allowed to charge any extra for the persons with disability. Some of such taxis may be suitable for electrical wheelchairs and some for manual, but usually not for both.

Taxis will wait when you take time to visit an attraction or plan to take your lunch. However this waiting time will count as part of the total time for which you book the taxi. While having lunch or snacks during your tour, you can invite the driver to join you, although it's not necessary. But if you invite him, then a general courtesy would be to pay for his bills.

The taxi tours take place on an hourly rate. You will need to book the taxi minimum for 3 hours. Typically island tours by taxis last for about 4 hours.

While you can get taxis (including Blue Flag Taxis) at the taxi stands like in Dockyard, but it is advisable to book one in advance in case you want to ensure the tour. Blue Flag Taxi drivers are usually busier than the others.

Here are some of the popular taxi tour operators in Bermuda who have been serving the tourists since several years in the island and have made good names for themselves (also read the reviews below):

Millard Lightbourne of Mills Taxi Service

Millard, known as Mills, has over 50 years of experience in the tourism industry. He worked in the 5-Star Elbow Beach Hotel in Paget for 55 years before retiring as the Assistant Chief Engineer. However he has also been a certified Tourist Guide and a driver since many years. Very well behaved, polite and having awesome knowledge of the island and its flora & fauna, Mills is one of the great drivers in the island for taxi tours. Phone: (441) 238 5690; Email: millarda@northrock.bm

Lewis Foggo

He is the owner and operator of Reliable Taxi Services. He has had his taxi license since 1993 and has been driving part time up until 2001, and full time ever since. He specializes in island tours of Bermuda, and also offers services for corporate, weddings, parties and street pick-ups. Lewis is a Bermuda Government certified Blue Flag Tour Guide. Email: lewis_foggo@hotmail.com; Call: 441/704-2109

Access Bermuda (For physically handicapped)

Keith Simmons of Access Bermuda organizes tours and airport pickups for people with disability or special needs. He has a custom built van with side entrance and an attachable ramp to make it easily wheelchair accessible. This purpose built vehicle also has auxiliary services for ventilators and recharging of electric wheelchairs.

He operates several sightseeing tours including a 3 hour east end tours of the island, 3 hour scenic west end tour, and 5 hour full island tour with certified blue flag tour guides. All tours start and end at the Visitors Center near Hamilton Ferry Terminal. On request, he can also organize glass bottom boat tours for the physically challenged. Address: 1 Loyal Hill, Devonshire.

Phone: (441)295-9106; Email: keithsimmons@logic.bm

Bermuda Island Taxi

A popular large taxi service in Bermuda operating for over four decades. While they have a number of taxis which are engaged in transfers between places, they also offer great island tours and have knowledgeable drives who are excellent tour guides. They also have wheelchair accessible taxis. Their main office is in Hamilton City although they have operations in St. George as well.

Phone: (441) 295-4141; Email: info@bermudaislandtaxi.com

$70.00 per hour sounds high, but I guess it could have changed since we went in 2016 and it also depends on how many you have going.. When we went with Arthur Wade he charged a flat rate of $50.00 per hour for 1-4 passengers. He didn't require any kind of deposit.

If you want you could send him an email and see what his current rates are. his email is aruthurstaxi@hotmail.com and his webpage is calypsocowboy.com. He met us right at the dock and we left as soon as we got off the ship.

He was a great guide and he took us anywhere we wanted to go! We even had him leave us in St. Georges, so we spent the rest of the day there and took a bus to Hamilton for the harbor nights and then the ferry back to the ship.

Jo

$70.00 per hour sounds high, but I guess it could have changed since we went in 2016 and it also depends on how many you have going.. When we went with Arthur Wade he charged a flat rate of $50.00 per hour for 1-4 passengers. He didn't require any kind of deposit.

If you had 5-7 passengers your rate would have been $70 per hour.

I don’t think enough information has been given to say the quote is high. Is it a Blue Flag taxi tour, shared minibus tour or a boutique private tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Yeah, that's why I said it depends on how many you have going. I don't think the original poster said how many were going. One other thing Arthur would do is count two children under 12 as one person. So you could have 4 adults and 2 children under 12 for $62.00. Again, his rates may have changed, but I'd definitely recommend him if the original person is looking for a very flexible tour.

Jo

Yeah, that's why I said it depends on how many you have going. I don't think the original poster said how many were going. One other thing Arthur would do is count two children under 12 as one person. So you could have 4 adults and 2 children under 12 for $62.00. Again, his rates may have changed, but I'd definitely recommend him if the original person is looking for a very flexible tour.

Jo

He is doing a taxi tour. Those rates are regulated and have not changed since your taxi tour.

Jo

Two children and three adults under that system would be $50/hour plus $10.00 tip (20%) which would be $60/hour. If you had two children and four adults that would be 5 people and it would up the rate to $70/hour, unless it was long enough ago that it was before the rates changed.

Apparently you can rent a little two passenger electric car at the Hamilton Princess for $85.00/day.

More than apparently Rosalee. There have been several threads about the vehicles and actual reviews. Look for Twizy in the topic title. They rent for $99 a day plus $30 a day for insurance. Not on topic for this thread.....

Thank you all for your information. Yes, I have a party of 6 adults and I am looking at a private tour booking in advance a blue flag taxi recommended guide. I am checking with two and have found a $70 and $75 per hour pricing/vehicle for a tour of 5 to 6 hours, one requires a $200 deposit with $100 nonrefundable in case of cancellation and I am waiting to hear back from the other guide for their deposit policy. If rates are set by the Government, why are they different for the same thing? Anyway, I will compare both offers and take the one that appears to be the best since both guides seem to be highly recommended. I understand a deposit because of the risk they are taking, but I was surprised at the amount. Thank you.

Edited by Edgewater601