Favorite Regent Ship

mrlevin

Which is your favorite Regent ship?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Regent ship?

• Seven Seas Navigator
    • Seven Seas Mariner
    • Seven Seas Voyager
    • Seven Seas Explorer

I’m finding this thread very enlightening. I’m learning much by reading each poster’s reasons why a particular ship is a favorite. What is a deal breaker to one, doesn’t even register on the radar of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got2Cruise,

That is very true. A serious flaw in the eyes of some may not even be a consideration in the eyes of others. We have cruised the Mariner more times than I can count, and only on our last two cruises did we find the size of the lowest five or six categories of suites seem too "tight" to us. So not only do preferences differ from person to person, but a given person's preference may change over time.

I’m finding this thread very enlightening. I’m learning much by reading each poster’s reasons why a particular ship is a favorite. What is a deal breaker to one, doesn’t even register on the radar of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with what you say but one's perspective can be different depending upon the suite that the person stayed in. For instance, Mariner has the absolute worst "bathtub" suites in the fleet. However, if you stay in a "shower only" suite, you would likely love it. The same can be said for Explorer if you stay in anything less than an F1/F2 suite.

One thing that has not been mentioned (likely because some of the posters have yet to sail on Explorer) is the dining issues. Explorer is the only ship where you can dine in P7 or Chartreuse at lunch and is also the only ship that has a spectacular buffet on Sundays that are sea days. In my opinion, this is a major difference between Explorer and other ships (plus Explorer has an extra dining venue). Explorer also has double sinks I the bathroom - a large tub and separate shower and more storage space than most people could use.

Although I voted for Explorer, the lower category suites on Navigator and Voyager are larger and better appointed than the lower suites on Mariner. I find it interesting that people vote for the Mariner's public spaces and not do mind the small suite, bathroom, closet, safe and the fact that suites have either a bathtub (dangerous as it may be) OR a shower). Voyager's regular suites have closets that are large enough to be a dressing room. In my opinion, the public spaces on Explorer and Mariner are the best in the fleet and, although different, I could not really say which ship has better public spaces (except that on our 10 or 11 Mariner cruises, Stars Lounge was empty 90% of the time so it is wasted space. The Boutique(s) are tiny on Mariner and at one time there was consideration given to moving the Boutiques to part of Stars Lounge.

So, yes - there are differences of opinion and what is important to one person is not important to another. Having said that and after 31 cruises on Regent, I would understand if Voyager scored higher than Mariner but having Mariner score so high has me shaking my head due

Travelcat2,

Yes, the bathtub/shower suites on the Mariner are hideous. On our last Mariner cruise, my wife had had major back surgery a month before -- which we did not know would be needed when we booked. She would have been unable to enter the tub or shower in her condition. We raised this through our TA, and the only way we could get a guarantee of a shower only was to pay $1K more PP for a Conceriege suite, which was no larger than the Cat. H guarantee we had booked. I paid, but wished I had cancelled the whole thing under the travel insurance we had bought. The upgrade to concierge brought us none of the benefits like pre-cruise hotel and transfers it should have. I feel that Regent ignored (in this case) the ADA. I know there is a controversy about how foreign - flagged cruise lines need to comply with ADA or not. But if they do not, I won't take them anymore. Like, voting with my wallet. The bathtub/suits on the Mariner require one to step up about 1' to get into the tub. And, once in, the headroom is only 6' 2", which is a problem for taller people. (I have tape measured it, so I know.) Later, I discovered that I could have booked the Conceirge suite for less than $1K pp more had I done this when booking, and had additional benefits as well.

This whole situation has soured me on Regent, which used to be my favorite cruise line. That is why I am in search of a luxury cruise experience on other lines.

Dolebludger, sorry to hear about your experience on the Mariner and with Regent not acknowledging your upgraded status. Even without back or other issues, the Mariner bathtub is dangerous.

rcandkc, I do feel that the special brunch should be on every cruise that has a sea day. Explorer became our favorite ship after doing three cruises on her and then returning to the Mariner and the Voyager a few months later. We really missed Explorer and decided to book future cruises on Explorer and Splendor.

I question whether or not there are issues with G2 suites on Explorer. I could be wrong but think that John G (and yourself) might feel differently if you stayed in a F1/F2/Concierge suite on Explorer.
Jackie, on these suites on the Explorer, the space of which JohnG speaks, on the side of the bed, is indeed very narrow, room for 1 person at a time only. On the Voyager, that space, which is on the foot of the bed is much wider, no traffic jams occur. a1a1ef02cb22980db8343edd1157d735.jpg

The Explorer on the top. Taken at different angles, but trust me, the space is much better.

Also, if memory serves, the window in the Explorer suite has a large bar in the middle. In all other respects, we prefer this category on the Explorer. The suite is gorgeous has a fabulous bathroom, and cavernous storage space. On the Voyager, (and if I'm not mistaken , the Mariner and Navigator as well, someone please correct me if I am wrong) the drawers in the living area have been removed. This is one of the most bizarre design decisions that I have ever seen. We are making do on a 10 day cruise, not sure how we would manage on a longer one.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this on this thread yet, the design of the showroom on the Explorer is poor compared to the others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Concierge suite on Mariner has a tiny desk drawer in the middle of the counter in the living area, and on the end opposite the fridge are two drawers and a cabinet. Maybe Regent got the message after hearing complaints about the missing drawers on Voyager and Navigator.

This month was our first cruise so I can’t compare the refurbished Mariner to any other ship or the old suites on Mariner.

YMMV but between the storage in the living area and the drawers in the closet, we actually had a couple of empty drawers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jackie, on these suites on the Explorer, the space of which JohnG speaks, on the side of the bed, is indeed very narrow, room for 1 person at a time only. On the Voyager, that space, which is on the foot of the bed is much wider, no traffic jams occur. a1a1ef02cb22980db8343edd1157d735.jpg

The Explorer on the top. Taken at different angles, but trust me, the space is much better.

Also, if memory serves, the window in the Explorer suite has a large bar in the middle. In all other respects, we prefer this category on the Explorer. The suite is gorgeous has a fabulous bathroom, and cavernous storage space. On the Voyager, (and if I'm not mistaken , the Mariner and Navigator as well, someone please correct me if I am wrong) the drawers in the living area have been removed. This is one of the most bizarre design decisions that I have ever seen. We are making do on a 10 day cruise, not sure how we would manage on a longer one.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this on this thread yet, the design of the showroom on the Explorer is poor compared to the others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Now that I look at the photos, that area is narrow. I also remembered by looking at the photo that if one person is exiting the bathroom while the other person is opening the front door, they can get their fingers slammed in between the two doors (my DH did that). You're also right about the showroom (In my opinion the Voyager has the best one). Thankfully, the theater will not have the same issues on Splendor. I guess I love the Explorer in spite of the few issues that she has.

I understand that the Mariner has more drawers than the Navigator and Voyager after the refurbishment but the upper suites were not refurbished. Our 20 night stay in the Grand Suite (Mariner) was lovely but even with a suite that large, there were no drawers except in the closet (and the nightstands). It was very difficult to find places for things on that cruise.

Voyager is still our second favorite ship and we have one more cruise on her before we switch back to Explorer. Thanks for posting those photos!

Our 20 night stay in the Grand Suite (Mariner) was lovely but even with a suite that large, there were no drawers except in the closet (and the nightstands). It was very difficult to find places for things on that cruise.

What

were

they

thinking ?????

I haven't replied because we've only been on two of the ships (though a number of times each). It doesn't seem to me that my vote would be relevant. Do you really want it anyway? I don't think that it would be very telling (though I strongly suspect that even if I'd sampled the two others, my favorite would remain the same).

Our first Regent cruise was on Voyager. Since then we have sailed many times on all their ships except Navigator - our first cruise on Navigator is booked for next March.

Our recent comparison of Mariner & Explorer may be found here (conclusions in post 15).

We like all the Regent ships on which we have sailed but our vote in this poll goes to Mariner by a very small margin.

Although many have commented that the basic suites are smaller on Mariner than on Voyager (and Navigator), we love the size & layout of the Penthouse & Horizon Suites on Mariner which are much better than Voyager.

Generally, itinerary and price are the deciding factors for us as to which Regent ship we choose.

PS: We were glad to see that the small safes on Mariner were replaced with much larger ones (same size as Explorer?) during the recent refurbishment.

Although I voted for Explorer, the lower category suites on Navigator and Voyager are larger and better appointed than the lower suites on Mariner. I find it interesting that people vote for the Mariner's public spaces and not do mind the small suite, bathroom, closet, safe and the fact that suites have either a bathtub (dangerous as it may be) OR a shower). Voyager's regular suites have closets that are large enough to be a dressing room. ...

Can't and won't comment on Explorer--will probaby never sail this ship.

In my world, Navigator has the best standard suites and walk-in closets. Voyager comes second, those suites are just a titch tighter. And Mariner comes third, although we had the handicapped suite last year, and other than the shower flooding the floor in the bathroom, we liked it--of course roomier probably because it did NOT have a walk-in.

Public spaces, for me, Mariner wins hands-down, at least before the latest retrofit. As much as I love little Navigator and its "intimate" meeting spots, it gets pretty cramped at times, especially in bad weather.

As for stability and vibrations, well, Mariner wins, no vibration at all. Navigator is a bouncy little thing, and it's tough to stand upright aft in a big sea.

Can't and won't comment on Explorer--will probaby never sail this ship.

In my world, Navigator has the best standard suites and walk-in closets. Voyager comes second, those suites are just a titch tighter. And Mariner comes third, although we had the handicapped suite last year, and other than the shower flooding the floor in the bathroom, we liked it--of course roomier probably because it did NOT have a walk-in.

Public spaces, for me, Mariner wins hands-down, at least before the latest retrofit. As much as I love little Navigator and its "intimate" meeting spots, it gets pretty cramped at times, especially in bad weather.

As for stability and vibrations, well, Mariner wins, no vibration at all. Navigator is a bouncy little thing, and it's tough to stand upright aft in a big sea.

Unless the Regent website is incorrect, it is the Navigator that is "just a titch tighter" (by only 5 square feet) and the Mariner is smaller than Voyager by 50 square feet. Explorer is 26 square feet larger than Voyager so Mariner is definitely the smallest (if you don't count what I consider the very few mini-suites on Explorer that are better suited for singles). Since most suites on the ship are the regular (or deluxe) suites, these are the ones that the majority of Regent passengers stay in.

In terms of upper suites, Explorer has the largest PH suites (448 square feet) with the Mariner being second at 376 square feet. Last, both Voyager's Master Suite (1216 sq. ft.) and Mariner (1204 sq. ft.) beat the Explorer (1064 - 1114 sq. ft.) by not only size but also has two bedrooms. We have not stayed in a Master suite on Mariner but have on Voyager and Explorer and prefer Voyager's 11th deck Master suite over Explorer (and also over Voyager 7th deck Master suites).

In my opinion, when you are making comparisons - particularly of Regent's ships that are not the same, seeing ratings or preferences for different categories would help more than just preferring one ship over another - especially when not everyone has sailed on all four ships. Rating the suites, public areas, restaurant locations and sizes as well as lounge locations and sizes. The number of restaurants are also interesting since Explorer has the most and Navigator has the least.

Edited by Travelcat2

Unless the Regent website is incorrect, it is the Navigator that is "just a titch tighter" (by only 5 square feet) and the Mariner is smaller than Voyager by 50 square feet. Explorer is 26 square feet larger than Voyager so Mariner is definitely the smallest (if you don't count what I consider the very few mini-suites on Explorer that are better suited for singles). Since most suites on the ship are the regular (or deluxe) suites, these are the ones that the majority of Regent passengers stay in.

In terms of upper suites, Explorer has the largest PH suites (448 square feet) with the Mariner being second at 376 square feet. Last, both Voyager's Master Suite (1216 sq. ft.) and Mariner (1204 sq. ft.) beat the Explorer (1064 - 1114 sq. ft.) by not only size but also has two bedrooms. We have not stayed in a Master suite on Mariner but have on Voyager and Explorer and prefer Voyager's 11th deck Master suite over Explorer (and also over Voyager 7th deck Master suites).

In my opinion, when you are making comparisons - particularly of Regent's ships that are not the same, seeing ratings or preferences for different categories would help more than just preferring one ship over another - especially when not everyone has sailed on all four ships. Rating the suites, public areas, restaurant locations and sizes as well as lounge locations and sizes. The number of restaurants are also interesting since Explorer has the most and Navigator has the least.

Travelcat2, this thread is for people to vote for their favourite Regent ship, the one that they enjoy the most when onboard, for their own varied reasons. Jean.

We've sailed on 3 so far but not on Navigator. Further cruises booked on Mariner & Explorer.

All 3 have been exceptional experiences and it is all about very fine margins, bar a couple if significant issues, in my view. Hard to be too critical if any of the ships, the service, dining and general facilities are all superb.

Mariner is probably the overall favourite, loved the SS Aft suite and particularly liked the deck space, public areas and enjoyed all the dining venues. Explorer excels because of the opulence, grandeur and suite/balcony sizes - plus, it has Pacific Rim, which is an exceptional restaurant by any standards and amongst the best at sea. In the final analysis Mariner just edges it for us due to the forward deck space and soft facing Horizon lounge, something sadly lacking on Explorer, which also has the poorly designed & inadequately sized aft spa area.

Voyager is similar to Mariner but just feels more confined in some areas. The external part of La V/Sette M is very restricted and the SS aft suite was a poor second to the Mariner equivalent.

This will be short, to the point, and on-thread. Everything that possibly could have been opined already has. No need to retrace.

Currently aboard Navigator.

Have sailed, numerous times, on all four.

Vote No. 1 goes to Explorer. Again, just reinforce previous comments as to suite size, general ambience, and availability of alternative restaurants.

That is it, as it time for a cocktail prior to another Compass Rose dinner before departure from Cartagena, Columbia.

Best.

GOARMY!

Having sailed on all 4 ships we are definite Navigator fans - for us, it's just the intimacy of this small (and to us) elegant ship. Just enjoyed the 2018 WC & will rejoin the ship 8/1 in Copenhagen. We do enjoy the other ships especially the size/layout of the F suites on Explorer (35 more days booked on that one next year) and have the first 2 voyages of Splendor booked in '20. Spent 90-some days in a standard suite on the Mariner in '16 and probably will select a Penthouse next time around for space/comfort. Will look into another Voyager sailing for next year as we haven't been on her since late '15.

As others have said....first world problems.

Travelcat2,

I refer to your post 31 above. Last spring, my wife took our 5 year old granddaughter on a Disney cruise. I chose to stay home as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck have slipped out of the memory of this 75 year old man!! My wife booked a concierge suite. When she and granddaughter returned, my wife reported that this is the first time (of many) in a concierge suite that the concierge did much of anything! And that includes Regent. Now, I am not suggesting that anybody switch from Regent to Disney, as Disney is not "my bag". What I am saying is that concierge service on other lines (including Regent) isn't what it should be.

My last experience on Regent has sent me in search of other lux cruise alternatives, though the Mariner remains my favorite Regent ship (no vibration and no tiny Cat H rooms). Not saying I'll find a better alternative, but I hope I do. I love competition!

Travelcat2,

I refer to your post 31 above. Last spring, my wife took our 5 year old granddaughter on a Disney cruise. I chose to stay home as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck have slipped out of the memory of this 75 year old man!! My wife booked a concierge suite. When she and granddaughter returned, my wife reported that this is the first time (of many) in a concierge suite that the concierge did much of anything! And that includes Regent. Now, I am not suggesting that anybody switch from Regent to Disney, as Disney is not "my bag". What I am saying is that concierge service on other lines (including Regent) isn't what it should be.

My last experience on Regent has sent me in search of other lux cruise alternatives, though the Mariner remains my favorite Regent ship (no vibration and no tiny Cat H rooms). Not saying I'll find a better alternative, but I hope I do. I love competition!

I had not thought about concierge service much. For us, the Executive Concierge is there when you need them but they don't seek you out to see if you need assistance. Having said that, when our luggage was lost for 10 days (along with 30 other passengers), the Executive Concierge went out of her way to find our luggage (which included going to airports and searching through hundreds of pieces to see if they could find the missing ones. Note: A bit off topic, Regent gives us a lot of luggage tags. Even though they could get messed up if you put them on before you fly, they are great identifiers if your luggage becomes lost.

A "concierge suite" on Regent is a different thing. As you may recall, Regent (when it was owned by PCH) had difficulty selling some of the lower since since they are all the same size and configuration (this was before the Explorer and, of course, excludes the non-balcony suites on Navigator). During the turn of the economy, several changes were made and the addition of the concierge suites was one of them. With the added benefits (early booking of excursions and dining reservations, etc.) those suites were selling. However, In my opinion, the "Executive Concierge" is not related to the suites and the suites do not have butlers so the service is the same as in the non-concierge suites (lower categories).

Hope that made sense. When I was typing it, it started become as clear as mud - sorry :halo: