Scenic Eclipse. Any Seabournites interested?

Isklaar

I'm seeing a couple of interesting itineraries upcoming on Scenic Eclipse (Arctic).

The website I'm finding rather clunky (.co.uk version) and not terribly informative. I did request a brochure some time ago but haven't received it. Looking forward to when the ship actually launches to read the reviews etc.

I didn't sail on the triplets so this would be the smallest cruise ship I've sailed on (228 guests), which is quite appealing.

Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about Eclipse. Anyone tempted? Does the smaller size appeal given the similarity to the triplets?

Already booked and really looking forward to it.

That's great, I know you don't do trip reports as such but I hope you'll be happy to share your thoughts with us about the overall experience.

Did you get a brochure from Scenic or did you find the website adequate?

We’ve booked the Buenos Aires - Tenerife via Rio transatlantic next March.

Beware Scenic’s non-refundable $1000 deposit and extra $250 to alter/transfer your booking. I know a couple of people who’ve been caught out by this mean spirited policy on river cruises. If Scenic wants to attract more customers I would urge them to adopt a more flexible deposit policy in line with their competitors.

We’ve booked the Buenos Aires - Tenerife via Rio transatlantic next March.

Beware Scenic’s non-refundable $1000 deposit and extra $250 to alter/transfer your booking. I know a couple of people who’ve been caught out by this mean spirited policy on river cruises. If Scenic wants to attract more customers I would urge them to adopt a more flexible deposit policy in line with their competitors.

I was just looking at that one. 9 sea days after Rio, sounds great.

The deposit for me is likely even more than yours - I'm in the UK where it's the norm to pay a sizeable non-refundable deposit - but a good heads up for those in the US.

Edited to add - I checked UK Ts and Cs - deposit is 25% for 'early bird offers' and 10% for other bookings. ( Seabourn requires 25% non-refundable deposit. )

Edited by Isklaar

I'm also booked on Buenos Aires-Lisbon in April 2020.

Was on the Myanmar Irawaddy Dec. 2016, lovely and new ship but a bit small (less than 40 as I remember)for me as a solo, not very welcoming, all tables 2 or 4-tops. I guess I enjoy ocean rather than river voyages.

I've been looking at the Scenic Eclipse, looks lovely, but twice the price of Seabourn.

Also, I'm always wary of a ship carrying helicopters; say 4 pax at a time, that's a lot of noise with the coming and going, especially in the peace and quiet of Antarctica (if allowed of course)

I've been looking at the Scenic Eclipse, looks lovely, but twice the price of Seabourn.

Also, I'm always wary of a ship carrying helicopters; say 4 pax at a time, that's a lot of noise with the coming and going, especially in the peace and quiet of Antarctica (if allowed of course)

As I have said, my wife and I are booked on the Scenic T/A and the cost for the 21 day cruise is $871 per day. That is less than any Seabourn cruise we have taken over the last three years. All inclusive with excursions also. The helicopters and submarine are not a major factor on this cruise.

I am also really looking forward to Cruising Kirby's opinions on Scenic. I have been on their River Cruises and felt they were very good, staff were equal to Seabourn....almost.... I tried Ponant earlier this year, really enjoyed it, but would still prefer Seabourn.

I'm interested in their River Cruises too.

I'd be happy to just sail with Seabourn but this year and the first two quarters of next year they just don't have anything at the right time that interests me. So I'm open to trying others.

That's great, I know you don't do trip reports as such but I hope you'll be happy to share your thoughts with us about the overall experience.

Did you get a brochure from Scenic or did you find the website adequate?

I will indeed offer my views, but as always my views are mine and I do not pretend that they speak for everyone.

I have been following the Eclipse since Scenic's announcement of its build. The idea of a two hundred passenger ship intrigues me more than anything as I hope it will rekindle my fond memories of the triplets.

I will indeed offer my views, but as always my views are mine and I do not pretend that they speak for everyone.

I have been following the Eclipse since Scenic's announcement of its build. The idea of a two hundred passenger ship intrigues me more than anything as I hope it will rekindle my fond memories of the triplets.

I look forward to reading your views.

Having never experienced a two hundred passenger ship it's something I'd like to try.

I followed the plans for this ship right from the beginning, paper brochures and onward, and though interested at first, (spent many hours researching details and routes) I realized that to get a suite with a bath tub I would have to pay several thousand dollars more to go to a higher level suite (I really like bubble baths while cruising, for my sore muscles and arthritis, especially in cold weather). The clunky and unprofessional website, the non-refundable big deposit, and the stated priority given to upper suite holders for the helo and sub excursions made my leery, and did not inspire confidence to help convince me to go with it just yet, will wait and see reviews before splurging for a spa suite, where you also have ocean view from a big whirlpool tub.

I would also look forward to cruising with many Aussies, as they have consistently been very pleasant, unpretentious, and sociable tablemates on cruises we have done.

At least on SB, Crystal, SS, HL, and even Regent, a tub is usually not a high-priced hard to get option.

being from Oz we are unfortunately used to these big, non refundable deposits, When Scenic first started advertising about their new Ocean ships, I thought at the time they are going to have to change that policy or they wont attract the American market. Doesn't seem like they are going to!