Mine to take?

I have seen a few threads regarding what is mine to take and what belongs to the ship, or airline. It always amuses me to read people's comments who think that the cashmere blankets are a gift to them for cruising. So here ya go folks...if you think that flying first class is going to help fill your linen closet at home, you'll get the answer here! The thing that irritates me is that we'll be flying Virgin Airlines first class to our next cruise and I'm going to be irritated if they had me a disposable paper blanket because all their good blankets were stolen!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/epidemic-of-thefts-by-first-class-airline-passengers/ar-AAyOH41?ocid=spartandhp

Among the papers greeting you when you enter your cabin is a price-list for the items in your cabin that you will be charged for if they are not there when you leave. The prices are exorbitant.

Indeed! Has anyone got a picture of that price list? We found it highly entertaining but forgot to get a shot of it.

Indeed! Has anyone got a picture of that price list? We found it highly entertaining but forgot to get a shot of it.

I don't have a picture but we remember a toothbrush holder...... For $125.00! We had a good laugh too. For goodness sake, don't misplace one of them...:eek:

I have seen a few threads regarding what is mine to take and what belongs to the ship, or airline. It always amuses me to read people's comments who think that the cashmere blankets are a gift to them for cruising. So here ya go folks...if you think that flying first class is going to help fill your linen closet at home, you'll get the answer here! The thing that irritates me is that we'll be flying Virgin Airlines first class to our next cruise and I'm going to be irritated if they had me a disposable paper blanket because all their good blankets were stolen!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/epidemic-of-thefts-by-first-class-airline-passengers/ar-AAyOH41?ocid=spartandhp

Ha ha! You think you're going to have a good time with VA 1st class? Hope so, but dream on! We flew to a cruise (and home again) with VA, and we paid for the 'better service' too. Both flights were unpleasant from start to finish.

One of us had a special dietary requirement at that time - but when we asked for it, (yes, we had to actually ask on the flight after it being noted on the reservation) we were told that there was no choice as the catering upload had been messed up.

There was no priority boarding of the aircraft, etc. The luggage delivery was messed up.

However, the outbound flight was the better of the two flights - on the return flight the catering upload was even worse, and there virtually wasn't any catering - so either take the awful choice on offer or go without - which meant that both of us ended up going without!

Fly with VA again - no way! Good luck, and maybe take some supplies with you.

Among the papers greeting you when you enter your cabin is a price-list for the items in your cabin that you will be charged for if they are not there when you leave. The prices are exorbitant.

One person's idea of costly might be another person's conception of ok. However, the very fact that this list is present in a cabin makes me feel that the cruise line thinks that many passengers are light-fingered. If I found such a list in my cabin, I would construe that the cruise line had thought that of me too - and that would be considered offensive.

I'd have to see it first before really judging it, and there could always be a break-down in communication due to language differences; but if I find it offensive there will be a complaint.

Additionally, after many cruises with various cruise lines, we know that quite often cabin/suite doors are wedged open during cleaning/resupplying the accommodation, and the staff are not always in a cabin when the door is wedged open - what's to prevent a light-fingered somebody from taking something (and as it's not their cabin they won't have to pay for it)?

So what is one supposed to do - do an inventory check when you return to your cabin/suite daily when you return after cabin/suite service?

We flew Virgin Atlantic from LHR to Johannesburg last month in "upper class" and it was really quite wonderful. The Virgin Clubhouse (lounge) in LHR was even better! They are definitely at the top of my list for crossing the pond. Wasn't tempted to take the blanket (or even the salt/pepper shakers, which apparently you are expected to take) – but the pajamas, maybe?

this was in a hotel room we recently visited ….

enhance

it was not an inexpensive place …..

so sad that this is necessary and had to gasp at the original story …. really??????????

this was in a hotel room we recently visited ….

enhance

it was not an inexpensive place …..

so sad that this is necessary and had to gasp at the original story …. really??????????

At these prices, I wonder if it really works as a deterrent? But, this is pretty much what Viking does.

at these I suspect they cover the cost ….. which is a deterrent in the line of "go to Walmart and buy your damn alarm clock"

but these items are not 'fancy'

and clearly you missed my point …..

OK, so this is from some sort of hotel - but if Viking put this sort of notice in a cabin or suite I would be annoyed, offended and worried.

Firstly my luggage accommodates precisely what I wish to leave home and travel with - and I most certainly have no need to pinch anything on the list kindly displayed above.

Secondly, I prefer to select the make etc of anything I wish to purchase - so I wouldn't be pinching anything.

Thirdly, I do not drink so much (or partake in any other intoxicating substance) that I would be throwing anything overboard.

So, apart from the fact that this has obviously been couched (unfortunately) in terms which are not really what my type of British traveller expects, I still find this notice worrying.

I have never noticed a charge menu for items provided in accommodation, having only ever used top-end suites (whether at sea or on land), perhaps we've been either too valued as guests or extremely highly respected. If Viking really are putting out this printed item, it makes me wonder just what is the calibre of their average guest - and do I honestly wish to mix with that sort of person?

It begs the question - just what sort of dump would put a notice like the illustration in a room?

Parsley Cruises, I think most people on cruise critic would agree with you, unfortunately there appears to be people who fly first class and stay in suites that do not live by the moral code the rest of us live by. I think we are all used to hearing about this in $$ hotels or economy class, but don't realize that in there are those in first class and $$$$$ hotels that for some reason feel compelled to take home, drop overboard, or otherwise leave things missing in their room, or airline seats. Indeed it feels like we who chose to use upper end hospitality are disrespected in that regard, but after reading that article I realized there are those who are paying higher prices for a higher level of comfort, yet ripping off airlines, cruise lines, and hotels. I think we can all just say, "shame on them" for forcing signs like that to go up in rooms.

Believe me, I've seen them - busy buying stuff on their on board accounts in the jewellery shop and then returning it for a refund the last evening of the cruise! Oh yes, busy bent over their on board accounts with their calculators trying to work out how to settle their bill! I find that sordid and distasteful, and take care not to get involved.

I thought the misconception that one’s class or level of wealth corresponded in any way to one’s ethics died out at least a century ago. Of course people in top-end suites are just as likely to nick things as anyone else. That’s how some of them got into those top-end suites in the first place.

Some hotels no doubt turn a blind eye because they want the high rollers’ return business. Good for Viking for dealing with it directly.

I think that knowing something is for sale can actually be a nice thing. I was at a restaurant recently that had the cutest little pottery pigs on the table to hold toothpicks. The menu mentioned they were for sale and I ended up buying one. Another place had fabulous creamers and when I asked the waitress about them, she told me we could purchase one.

Here is a price list that was inside of the leather binder on our coffee table on the Sky last month. I don’t recall seeing this last year when we were on the Viking Star, maybe passengers were thinking items were for them to take 🤣aa97bc3ab118d8b578b4fc3b1494d9f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been on the Star and the Sea and never saw this list. (We've been in DV1, PS1 and PV1 cabins.) In fact, I don't even know what some of the items are -- "felt magazine bag," "magazine tag," "portfolio," etc., were nowhere to be seen in our cabins. Maybe new additions with the Sky? Guess we'll find out when we board on July 7th. Can't wait to experience the $280 tissue box! :)

Sorry to repeat, was this in a suite (as opposed to a cabin)?

2017 was in a penthouse junior suite, didn’t see the pricing list, May 2018 was in a penthouse veranda where I saw this list. I don’t think it matters, maybe it’s SOP now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to repeat, was this in a suite (as opposed to a cabin)?

We had this list in our DV stateroom both times on Viking Sky (in the hotel directory folder).

We certainly didn't take offence or thought much of it to be honest, as this is the sort of "list" that appears in most hotels, high-end included, these days. We would certainly not take it as a personal reflection on our integrity nor our value as a guest! And has nothing to do with the calibre of Viking guests, so fear not. Anywhere you go there will always be a tiny minority of scallies who will pinch stuff - that's life. It is a real and costly problem in hotels (and cruise ships) when these guests will "pack" anything - towels, kettles (yes, kettles!), bathrobes, duvets, wall pictures etc etc. I could tell you lots of stories - airline crew who regularly swap out the hotel's bedlinen. They take a set of clean bedlinen home from the hotel and next visit take the dirty stuff back, put it on the bed, take the clean home and so the routine continues! The mini toiletries are fair game - I admit freely I take the small tube of the Freya body lotion home with me as I do love it!

It does look like this list covers everything for all types of stateroom and suite, so you may not have certain items but I wouldn't worry about that as the stewards will know exactly what is in each stateroom/suite category. e.g. we didn't have the large binoculars in a DV.

People do want to buy "stuff" - Just look at the Oceania board for how many enquire about purchasing their mattresses!

The top suites on Oceania are given a largish towelling bag which contains useful bits and pieces for using on your verandah - brand new logo'd towels, sunscreen, sun visors, baseball cap - which is yours to take home. The first time we had this "gift", I left it all, not even crossing my mind that it was "ours" to keep! Second time around, same "gift bag" and then the steward came with another "gift bag" (we were on a Grand Voyage - 2 cruises) and that was when we found out they were for us to take home if we wished. The towels have come in very handy for going to the pool!

To get back to Viking - they have sourced many, many beautiful and high-end pieces for their ships, all of which can be admired and used during your cruise, but quite rightly if you want them for home, then buy them. When the stewards are "in" cleaning staterooms, we noticed that they always left the bathroom door open so that folk walking past could not see into the room. Well they did on our deck anyway so I imagine its SOP.

Host Jazzbeau - You should definitely take the PJs from Virgin Upper Class (no first class on Virgin Atlantic if that is the airline you will be flying Sunflower and the Scientist, so lower your expectations somewhat ;)) - or any other airline PJs (Emirates are the best) and the salt and pepper shakers - now plastic and you are "encouraged" to take them. But if you do take them put them in a bag as the salt and pepper will leak everywhere in your bag! They go well with the Virgin mugs! Ha ha! No I didn't pinch them but was given a couple. But the bedding and blankets - NO NO!