Does Oceania honour their mistake on their website??

JK300

We are asking this from Belgium. On an Alaska cruise (Sept. 27, 2018) that we are looking at, states:

Take advantage of our Reduced Fares, Free Internet and FREE Gratuities, plus choose one of the below FREE Amenities:

- 8 FREE Shore Excursions

- FREE House Beverage Package

- US$800 Shipboard Credit

I am about to book this cruise but my TA tells me that this is a mistake and that Oceania told her that they are not obliged to give what is advertised wrong on their website.

Can they do that, not honouring what is written on their website.

The mistake is not 800$ shipboard credit but 600$ instead or not 8 excursions but 6.

Has anyone experienced this with Oceania?

For a good understanding we do love Oceania.

John

We are asking this from Belgium. On an Alaska cruise (Sept. 27, 2018) that we are looking at, states:

Take advantage of our Reduced Fares, Free Internet and FREE Gratuities, plus choose one of the below FREE Amenities:

- 8 FREE Shore Excursions

- FREE House Beverage Package

- US$800 Shipboard Credit

I am about to book this cruise but my TA tells me that this is a mistake and that Oceania told her that they are not obliged to give what is advertised wrong on their website.

Can they do that, not honouring what is written on their website.

The mistake is not 800$ shipboard credit but 600$ instead or not 8 excursions but 6.

Has anyone experienced this with Oceania?

For a good understanding we do love Oceania.

John

If this is your cruise...

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Alaska-cruises/vancouver-to-san-francisco-REG180927/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2018%7C09%23destinations%3Dalaska

I am seeing 6 excursions. :confused:

Companies regularly apologize for incorrect advertising and do not honor the mistaken price or offer. I would think Oceania would be no different. Especially if you haven't even booked it.

Being that the TS is from Europe, it is very possible that they are viewing a European Oceania website that may have different information. Sometimes Europeans are given different perks.

Being that the TS is from Europe, it is very possible that they are viewing a European Oceania website that may have different information. Sometimes Europeans are given different perks.

Very possible.

That said, if you had actually booked it already and had an invoice saying the better numbers, you'd have a legitimate complaint.

I was just in Europe looking at a cruise. It said PPG. I called my guy at Oceania and he said nope. They have different specials in different countries.

I then read the fine print at the bottom of the page and it said for European residents only.

I don’t know if the OP is a US citizen or European but if they are European they can book that right on the website. The prices do not include air.

I can only comment on Australian contract law but I am guessing it is not too different in most countries. A contract involves an Offer and an Acceptance. An advertisement is not an Offer, it is an invitation to make an offer which the advertiser can then accept or reject.

In some instances, companies who make a mistake in advertising a product honour the mistake. They do this out of goodwill, not because of any legal obligation.

Yes this is the cruise I am talking about. It is still 8 excursions what we see.

It shows differently because we are in Europe and we are European citizens. We thought that Oceania will admit that it is an error, which they do but they won't give us what is advertized.

Wishful thinking. :(

John

Very possible.

That said, if you had actually booked it already and had an invoice saying the better numbers, you'd have a legitimate complaint.

We do have an option on this cruise. But before we actually book, my TA want to sort this out with Oceania.

John

Yes this is the cruise I am talking about. It is still 8 excursions what we see.

It shows differently because we are in Europe and we are European citizens. We thought that Oceania will admit that it is an error, which they do but they won't give us what is advertized.

Wishful thinking. :(

John

Take a screen shot of the deal & push the issue

If it is still showing online where you are then they should honour it

JMO

Take a screen shot of the deal & push the issue

If it is still showing online where you are then they should honour it

JMO

That is exactly what we did (twice). Our TA is still in discussion with Oceania.

'We don't have to honour it because it's a mistake.' That is what O is telling our TA.

It is still online. :rolleyes:

Very mixed feelings.

John

That is exactly what we did (twice). Our TA is still in discussion with Oceania.

'We don't have to honour it because it's a mistake.' That is what O is telling our TA.

It is still online. :rolleyes:

Very mixed feelings.

John

then that is very bad for them

they should fix the mistake if they are not going to honour the deal before others are duped by the ad

What DeanoNorthPerth said about Australian law is also true for the U.S. But the buyer (cruise guest) would only have recourse against the seller (cruise line) if he or she relied on the false/mistaken promise and booked the cruise. If the cruise line simply withdraws the offer---with or without an apology---there's nothing you can do if you haven't yet booked the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, JK300, what if you call the Oceania booking office, and tell them what you saw online, and ask if they can book it for you? My sense from dealing with them is that they are keen to make bookings and have some room for negotiation to keep an interested caller from "getting away." You may want to stick with your TA, and I think you can -- I understand it is common that people originate a booking with Oceania and then subsequently transfer it to their TA.