Private areas

Whitefox62

I know Carnival has a private are on Vista and Horizon called the Havana but does any other cruise line offer a private area like this Where the number of guest are limited to those who book that particular stateroom category?

Princess have the Sanctuary, which costs extra per day ($40) or half day ($20). It's not restricted to any cabin class, anyone can book sun loungers in that area. On most ships it's on the top deck forward so is very peaceful and relaxing. There are a limited number of very comfortable sun loungers spaced well apart. Some ships also have cabanas in the Sanctuary. We often book an inside cabin then book the Sanctuary on sea days.

I know Carnival has a private are on Vista and Horizon called the Havana but does any other cruise line offer a private area like this Where the number of guest are limited to those who book that particular stateroom category?

Cunard is often maligned for maintaining a "class system" yet today almost every ship has areas that are exclusive for passengers who book a certain category or higher. Typically only those passengers can use it: e.g. somebody booked in an inside cabin who offers to pay extra for the use of that facility won't be allowed to do so. (Much like the "Concierge Floor" in major hotels.)

When you find a sailing that interests you, I'd suggest that you post on the board for that cruise line. There will be those who have sailed on their ships and they will know first hand how spacious and private the exclusive areas might be.

• 2 weeks later...
The Haven is not private. What do you mean by private?

Cunard is often maligned for maintaining a "class system" yet today almost every ship has areas that are exclusive for passengers who book a certain category or higher. Typically only those passengers can use it: e.g. somebody booked in an inside cabin who offers to pay extra for the use of that facility won't be allowed to do so. (Much like the "Concierge Floor" in major hotels.)

When you find a sailing that interests you, I'd suggest that you post on the board for that cruise line. There will be those who have sailed on their ships and they will know first hand how spacious and private the exclusive areas might be.

No more so than airlines with Business and First Class, or special floors in hotels with privacy and perks.

Some people choose to label this, pejoratively, as a class system, but that is ridiculous because access to these things is based on willingness to PAY for them, not who your parents were and whether you speak with a posh accent. The class system assigns status based on birth, whereas the system all over the hospitality industry assigns status on being willing to pay for status - a huge difference.

Regent has no such private areas, no class system at all. Everywhere is open to all. Cunard is like the Titanic with first and steerage. What cabin you book is then determining where you dine. Equally no gratuities on Regent or DSC, which again goes up with class of cabin. All adds up in the end and makes Regent nowhere near as expensive as some think, as you pay nothing else.

Likewise with hotels , what room you book determines what sort of room you get and what sort of amenities come with it. Club room gets extras, etc. And with airlines, what ticket you buy determines what lounge area you can wait in and what seat you get and what extras come with those seats.

Do not confuse class with wealth. If someone pays for the extras, do not begrudge them those extras. If someone doesn't pay for the extras, why should they get them.

The newest Princess ships have a concierge lounge for suite passengers. They also get to eat breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants instead of having to suffer with the common folks.

Likewise with hotels , what room you book determines what sort of room you get and what sort of amenities come with it. Club room gets extras, etc. And with airlines, what ticket you buy determines what lounge area you can wait in and what seat you get and what extras come with those seats.

Do not confuse class with wealth. If someone pays for the extras, do not begrudge them those extras. If someone doesn't pay for the extras, why should they get them.[/quote]

I wish this could be understood on some other threads too:(

Do not confuse class with wealth. If someone pays for the extras, do not begrudge them those extras. If someone doesn't pay for the extras, why should they get them.[/quote]

I wish this could be understood on some other threads too:(

Yes, I find perspective changes greatly and it unfortunately it seems it mainly depends on which side of the ribbon/cordon or security door that the people commenting are on.

When ocean liners gave way to air travel and ships converted to “cruising”

you could go on former liners like NORWAY ex NORMANDIE and CARIB ex OLYMPIA

and still see where the class division gates were as late as the 80’s.

“Cruising” opened the ship to everyone .... you could buy better cabin –

better usually meaning more square feet – but everything else was available

to EVERYONE.

And now we see a return to the first model .... the return of a class based

ship. As before CLASS IS determined by what you are willing to pay for. The

industry has slid into this over time but today, on some ships, not every

optional extra cost restaurant is available to any passenger willing to pay.

On others there are again dining rooms available only to “those” who were

previously sailing in ‘first class’ but today is called suites or concierge

or haven or The Grill

“If someone pays for the extras, do not begrudge them those extras.” I

don't .... but their waving the differences in my face annoys me ....

special seats in the theaters, blocked off areas at the pool seating, to ME

this is a display of discrimination .... let me wave what I have in your

face!

I could pay to enjoy any of these things on a main stream cruise ship. More

and more I choose not to but rather, to sail where we're all similar

to the lines building these walls I'll say you lost my $ .... rather than

spend $ to get to 'top class' on your class based ship, I'll sail on an 'all

first class ship'

does that make me MORE snooty???? Welll, I'm not waving mine at the have nots ….