NYC port

Issyalex

If you are talking about the West Side of Manhattan, then virtually everything that you say is untrue.

That neighborhood is still fairly industrial, i.e. not very safe, particularly at night.

The hotel selections are sparse and expensive.

Walking to the port is inadvisable with luggage as there is a twelve lane highway separating the piers from the rest of Manhattan.

98-large-33ddb3e19a4c133ed93511d5df14bb67.jpg

Aside from the safety factor — it’s really not as bad as it used to be — I do confirm this. There’s not many hotels, and you really don’t want to cross Twelfth Avenue with a lot of luggage on a muggy summer day!

...you really don’t want to cross Twelfth Avenue with a lot of luggage on a muggy summer day!

Or just as bad: a rainy day.

Note that there are cross-walks at the traffic lights so you could walk if you had to. I've walked to the port, in the rain unfortunately, but wouldn't want to do it again.

Yes. It is an easy walk.

And a safe area to walk around in at night.

Lots of good budget hotels in the area. If only to sleep in, for around $150-$200 (not including taxes) per night gets you a room not unlike an inside stateroom on the ship.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest re my hotel booking and area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are talking about the West Side of Manhattan, then virtually everything that you say is untrue.

That neighborhood is still fairly industrial, i.e. not very safe, particularly at night.

The hotel selections are sparse and expensive.

Walking to the port is inadvisable with luggage as there is a twelve lane highway separating the piers from the rest of Manhattan.

98-large-33ddb3e19a4c133ed93511d5df14bb67.jpg

Really? A 12 lane highway? You make it sound like it's a freeway or expressway. The West Side Highway (actually called 12th Avenue at that point) is 3 lanes in each direction, so it's 6 lanes (not 12) and there's an island in the middle should you get stuck between lights. The speed limit is 35 MPH and there are traffic lights on every corner. It's two blocks from the Intrepid and people definitely walk there all the time. It's certainly safe to walk in during the day and likely even at night. Take an Uber if you're concerned about walking in the area at night.

I'd suggest going into Google Maps and expand and zoom in move around to see the area. Here's the link for the terminal. There are a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Inn at 47th Street and 11th Avenue that you can see if you move around in the map. That's a fairly short walk to the terminal, even with a reasonable amount of luggage (assuming it has wheels). Or once again, use Uber or a cab.

I can't believe that you live in Stamford and post stuff like that. I'd expect that someone in the area would be better informed.

Edited by MisterBill99

Really? A 12 lane highway? You make it sound like it's a freeway or expressway. The West Side Highway (actually called 12th Avenue at that point) is 3 lanes in each direction, so it's 6 lanes (not 12) and there's an island in the middle should you get stuck between lights. The speed limit is 35 MPH and there are traffic lights on every corner. It's two blocks from the Intrepid and people definitely walk there all the time. It's certainly safe to walk in during the day and likely even at night. Take an Uber if you're concerned about walking in the area at night.

I'd suggest going into Google Maps and expand and zoom in move around to see the area. Here's the link for the terminal. There are a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Inn at 47th Street and 11th Avenue that you can see if you move around in the map. That's a fairly short walk to the terminal, even with a reasonable amount of luggage (assuming it has wheels). Or once again, use Uber or a cab.

I can't believe that you live in Stamford and post stuff like that. I'd expect that someone in the area would be better informed.[/quote

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. Although we fled NYC, we lived there for many years and return as happy tourists. I also lived on the Hudson River on a cabin cruiser, and really got know the port area. With luggage, it is best to arrive at your cruise gateway in a vehicle. As far as hotels are concerned, we are Marriott credit card holders and use its hotels. All price ranges. There is so much to do and see, you will not be bored. Enjoy yourself.

Mary]

Mrbill thank you for the link. We’re staying at the comfort inn for 2 nights pre cruise. Looking at the map we should be able to walk to the pier. [emoji3]

Really? A 12 lane highway? You make it sound like it's a freeway or expressway. The West Side Highway (actually called 12th Avenue at that point) is 3 lanes in each direction, so it's 6 lanes (not 12) and there's an island in the middle should you get stuck between lights.

bbddf19e18cb849a5126fef095b139bf.jpg

Please count the lanes of traffic in front of the Cruise Terminal in the photo above.

Please count the lanes of traffic in front of the Cruise Terminal in the photo above.

I've never been to the NYC cruise terminal (I've driven by many times) but I can't believe that the lanes of traffic passing in front of the entrance even remotely resemble a highway. And I'd be shocked if there weren't pedestrian walkways leading to the entrance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

For us in Scotland any road with three lanes going each way is a motorway/freeway oh and sometimes two lanes each way roads are also called a motorway! Lol

Mind you we have one lane/track roads with ‘passing places’. Now they can be scary if the car coming towards you doesn’t go into their passing place and you don’t have one! [emoji33]

I've never been to the NYC cruise terminal (I've driven by many times) but I can't believe that the lanes of traffic passing in front of the entrance even remotely resemble a highway. And I'd be shocked if there weren't pedestrian walkways leading to the entrance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

And you're absolutely right. It's a wide avenue, not a highway, there are traffic lights and pedestrian crosswalks, the center median is wide enough for you to safely wait there if you can't complete your crossing in a single traffic light cycle, and there are police officers directing traffic on days when cruise ships are in port.

And you're absolutely right. It's a wide avenue, not a highway, there are traffic lights and pedestrian crosswalks, the center median is wide enough for you to safely wait there if you can't complete your crossing in a single traffic light cycle, and there are police officers directing traffic on days when cruise ships are in port.

Perfectly described, it's just not a road which I would feel comfortable crossing with Cruise Luggage in tow. YMMV

We’ve crossed 12th Avenue with and without luggage. There is a traffic light with a well marked pedestrian crossing, I believe it is at 50th.

Sometimes it is difficult for a driver to maneuver to be on the terminal side of the street. Traffic, road closures happen. We often tell the driver to just let us off nearby and we will walk the rest of the way.

When disembarking we always cross the street to get a taxi or await a pickup. If a port day we love to walk the city.

I can't believe this. If you can afford to go on Crystal, you can stay at a Marriot and take a cab to the terminal. It is really close.

To me close means walkable. Is it takes us 5-10 mins pushing our suitcases to the terminal we’ll do that. We will check out how near the terminal while we’re staying in NYC prior to the cruise on Oceania.

We walk to places not jump into our car or take a taxi for a five min journey.

To me close means walkable. Is it takes us 5-10 mins pushing our suitcases to the terminal we’ll do that. We will check out how near the terminal while we’re staying in NYC prior to the cruise on Oceania.

We walk to places not jump into our car or take a taxi for a five min journey.

FWIW, I can absolutely guarantee that there are no hotels in Manhattan which are a five minute journey from the Cruise Terminal.

FWIW, I can absolutely guarantee that there are no hotels in Manhattan which are a five minute journey from the Cruise Terminal.

Agree 100% No place to walk within 15 or 20 min. with luggage no matter how fast you can walk. Probably closer to one half hour.

Plus, big streets -- as in wide streets -- and long distances between Avenues ... lots of car traffic to deal with.

NOT a pleasant walk!

We live in Brooklyn Heights so for us it's not a question of a walk TO the ship, but several times we've left the ship in Manhattan. Then we schlep our luggage across the street for a cab ...

Mura

Agree 100% No place to walk within 15 or 20 min. with luggage no matter how fast you can walk. Probably closer to one half hour.

And you're both wrong. There are two hotels on West 48th St., Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn, that are a five minute or less walk to Pier 88. For a more upscale hotel, Kimpton Ink48 at 11th Ave. and 48th St. is also 5 minutes or less to the cruise terminal.

As an ex-NYC commuter and current park-cheap-walk-to-hotel/friends NYC visitor, I think we might all consider agreeing that the "walk to cruise terminal from hotel" is a personal choice and not a universal truth lol.

I can say from experience that carrying a week's worth of bags typically slows me down by at least half from my brisk "get to my desk/train on time" pace - so that a 5 minute distance becomes 10 minutes for me. About 5 short blocks or 1 avenue block and 2 short blocks is my personal limit for "sure, let's walk with the bags" (I am an active but not super-fit 52yo female whose personal lift-and-carry no-wheels weight limit is roughly 30 pounds, plus up to 50 pounds in a 2-wheeled suitcase.)

My personal advice, your mmv - walking with bags to the Manhattan cruise terminal from a nearby hotel is not impossible, but unless you are quite fit (and/or are a super-light packer) it may well be as much exercise as you wish to do for the day. If you want to try it, consider a dry run at home with appropriately weighted bags. If you try it and decide it was a bad idea, you can always get a Lyft/Uber or hail a cab :)

And you're both wrong. There are two hotels on West 48th St., Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn, that are a five minute or less walk to Pier 88. For a more upscale hotel, Kimpton Ink48 at 11th Ave. and 48th St. is also 5 minutes or less to the cruise terminal.

We are staying in the comfort inn pre cruise. We will do a trial run....or should that be walk [emoji848]...........to the cruise terminal without our suitcases to see if it’s walkable. Our cases are hard bodied with 4 sturdy wheels which we have walked 15-20 mins with before. Mind you hubby said a few choice words while walking. Lol [emoji23]

As an ex-NYC commuter and current park-cheap-walk-to-hotel/friends NYC visitor, I think we might all consider agreeing that the "walk to cruise terminal from hotel" is a personal choice and not a universal truth lol.

I can say from experience that carrying a week's worth of bags typically slows me down by at least half from my brisk "get to my desk/train on time" pace - so that a 5 minute distance becomes 10 minutes for me. About 5 short blocks or 1 avenue block and 2 short blocks is my personal limit for "sure, let's walk with the bags" (I am an active but not super-fit 52yo female whose personal lift-and-carry no-wheels weight limit is roughly 30 pounds, plus up to 50 pounds in a 2-wheeled suitcase.)

My personal advice, your mmv - walking with bags to the Manhattan cruise terminal from a nearby hotel is not impossible, but unless you are quite fit (and/or are a super-light packer) it may well be as much exercise as you wish to do for the day. If you want to try it, consider a dry run at home with appropriately weighted bags. If you try it and decide it was a bad idea, you can always get a Lyft/Uber or hail a cab :)

We will make sure the walk with our suitcases is doeable before we set off to the port. We won’t be in a rush so that will make it easier. We have walked 15-20 mins with our full suitcases before. I’m 62 but strong hubby will just have turned 52. [emoji3]

We will make sure the walk with our suitcases is doeable before we set off to the port. We won’t be in a rush so that will make it easier. We have walked 15-20 mins with our full suitcases before. I’m 62 but strong hubby will just have turned 52. [emoji3]

FYI, one thing to consider is depending on the day of week and time of day and where in Manhattan you are, street corners in Manhattan can get congested making it hard to maneuver even when you are carrying nothing.

FYI, one thing to consider is depending on the day of week and time of day and where in Manhattan you are, street corners in Manhattan can get congested making it hard to maneuver even when you are carrying nothing.

embarkation is a Monday. We have all day to walk to the port. [emoji3]