Chair Hogs

seaknots

I really don’t think this is much of an issue with luxury lines. Yes, maybe a very few but have never had an issue on Regent, Crystal, SIlversea. Plenty of space for everyone. Mass market lines with thousands perhaps.

I really don’t think this is much of an issue with luxury lines. Yes, maybe a very few but have never had an issue on Regent, Crystal, SIlversea. Plenty of space for everyone. Mass market lines with thousands perhaps.

I beg to differ. We were on a Caribbean cruise on the Explorer this February and it was definitely an issue on sea days.

There were major issues on the Explorer in the Caribbean last year as well. Regent does have a policy and a table with a sign to hold the belongings of passengers that are hogging seats ....... they just don't use them.

This was my favorite article from the link:

"Remove the Chair

If you'd rather not be responsible for moving someone else's things but still don't want to involve a crew member, simply take the chair instead. Remove the items on the chair, place them on the ground underneath, then pick up the chair and take it with you to your sunny (or shaded) spot of choice. The chair hog will find his belongings where he left them, but will only have hard deck rather than a comfortable chair for seating."

"Remove the Chair

If you'd rather not be responsible for moving someone else's things but still don't want to involve a crew member, simply take the chair instead. Remove the items on the chair, place them on the ground underneath, then pick up the chair and take it with you to your sunny (or shaded) spot of choice. The chair hog will find his belongings where he left them, but will only have hard deck rather than a comfortable chair for seating."

+1

Sheila

I agree with ronrick, Regent does have a problem with this and they make no attempt to correct it. Just posting a request doesn't do it. Perhaps all cruise lines experience this issue because many passengers simply have no regard for others. If staff would clear the chairs,much of the problem might go away.

I agree with ronrick, Regent does have a problem with this and they make no attempt to correct it. Just posting a request doesn't do it. Perhaps all cruise lines experience this issue because many passengers simply have no regard for others. If staff would clear the chairs,much of the problem might go away.

I totally agree here - if the cruise line actively (key word) enforced their polices, there would be zero issues!

There were major issues on the Explorer in the Caribbean last year as well. Regent does have a policy and a table with a sign to hold the belongings of passengers that are hogging seats ....... they just don't use them.

Travelcat, youve mentioned this before , but I never saw such table anywhere in my Caribbean Explorer cruise this February ( or my Explorer Transatlantic, although there it wasnt an issue). Chair hogs were an annoyance in this cruise. I talked to an officer walking around the pool area about this and she was apologetic , but said she couldnt do anything . The only thing they did was put a note on the daily newspaper not to "reserve" chairs. No consequences, therefore, no change in behavior.

"Remove the Chair

Sorry, paying too much money to risk encountering an irate passenger catching me in the act of moving their things( plus I dont want to touch their things!). This should be the cruise line responsibility. I will not put up with this in future cruises, will raise it as high as I have to go.

I have encountered two experiences of chair hogs. One where a Seabourn crew member saw I was looking for a lounge chair and removed a passengers belongings and gave me their chair. About 20 minutes later the passenger returned (after having lunch) and started her march towards me. The crew member intercepted her (I assume he was reiterating the lounge chair rules) and she marched off with a very unhappy look on her face.

The second time was on Seabourn on deck 5 at the rear of the ship where they had the bali type round pool chair with the cushions. I noticed that the chair had be unattended for over an hour. I removed the passengers belongings and placed them near the towel stand. About 30 minutes later a man approached saying that is my chair. I kindly explained the rules to him also adding that the rules were posted for all guests to see. He became belligerent saying he had only gone to the toilet and was only gone for 10 minutes! I corrected him on his timing and said that he should be more courteous to other guests and not hog the pool chairs. He became more unpleasant and at that point I ignored him but it was awful being on such a lovely cruise and having to have this sort of interaction. I would not involve myself it that way again. In future I would approach a crew member and ask them to remove the passengers belongings. Unfortunately at the rear pool deck on Seabourn there is never a crew member around.

I have not had a problem finding a pool lounge on Regent but I imagine this happens on all cruise lines luxury or not.

Travelcat, youve mentioned this before , but I never saw such table anywhere in my Caribbean Explorer cruise this February ( or my Explorer Transatlantic, although there it wasnt an issue). Chair hogs were an annoyance in this cruise. I talked to an officer walking around the pool area about this and she was apologetic , but said she couldnt do anything . The only thing they did was put a note on the daily newspaper not to "reserve" chairs. No consequences, therefore, no change in behavior.

I should have explained myself. This was a one time thing. A poster was complaining about chair hogs and stated that she was told to go and sit on her balcony because there was nowhere to sit that was not saved. While I rarely write to the Jason Montague I did in this case (wish that I hadn't because the poster wasn't telling the truth but that is another story). Anyway, a table for belongings and a sign went up and photos were taken and posted on CC. Wish that they would do this on every cruise where the weather is warm enough to be by the pool.

Agree with you -- I wouldn't want to upset a passenger by moving their chair but think it was a good idea (and also think that they deserve it). On one hand I understand that Regent does not like to upset their passengers by enforcing rules, however, they don't seem to understand that they upset even more passengers by not enforcing them!

I stick to my original statement. If you have a policy as Regent does they should enforce that policy. If someone came to the dining room in shorts they wouldn't be allowed in that dining room. If Regent enforces one policy they should enforce all policies equal or do away with policies they aren't willing to enforce. In my opinion it should never be the responsibility of a guest to enforce a policy---after all you pay to enjoy your vacation and Regent should everything possible to make that happen. Within reason.

"Sun Lounger reservations"????? Have never known Regent to take reservations for their lounges.:rolleyes:

Sorry to have confused you. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have said “...... guidance / rules / policy on not reserving sun loungers ......”

Sorry to have confused you. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have said “...... guidance / rules / policy on not reserving sun loungers ......”

I understood what you were saying. Didn't think it was that complicated. Hope all is well with you.

I understood what you were saying. Didn't think it was that complicated. Hope all is well with you.

I also understood it but there are people on CC that are not familiar with Regent. Making reference to a "sun lounger reservation" to someone that has not sailed Regent indicates that one can make a reservation! Remember...... we really aren't posting to other Regent customers but to posters that are new to Regent and/or do not yet know all of the policies. As strange as the term "Lounge Hogs" is, most people understand it (vs. having the ability to reserve a lounge in advance which would be held for you).

On one hand I understand that Regent does not like to upset their passengers by enforcing rules, however, they don't seem to understand that they upset even more passengers by not enforcing them!

I think your right about this, Regent are afraid to upset their guest and know that if they where to enforce this rule they would be involved in a lot of infected discussions about how long the guest had been gone from the chair and then it is word against word, a sort of discussion Regent want to avoid as long as possible!

Some rules are easier then others to enforce, as for the shorts in dining room situation someone mentioned, Regent can just say -you have shorts, no shorts in the dining room, the guest can not claim he has no shorts! It´s not that easy with the pool chairs I´m afraid!

Thank you. Yes, everything is good for us and we are experiencing an excellent summer in the UK :cool: Hope you are keeping well.

Not sure why anyone could misinterpret my post and thereby introduce the concept of Regent bringing in official pre-reservation of sun loungers .................. but maybe this could be Regent's next offer for those booking upper level suites - I have a vision of Butlers scurrying around early morning pinning reservation cards on the positions chosen by their clients ;):eek:

I think your right about this, Regent are afraid to upset their guest and know that if they where to enforce this rule they would be involved in a lot of infected discussions about how long the guest had been gone from the chair and then it is word against word, a sort of discussion Regent want to avoid as long as possible!

Some rules are easier then others to enforce, as for the shorts in dining room situation someone mentioned, Regent can just say -you have shorts, no shorts in the dining room, the guest can not claim he has no shorts! It´s not that easy with the pool chairs I´m afraid!

Enforcement of the rules does need to be done sensitively but firmly.

On the occasions that we have seen the issue addressed, e.g. by the introduction of a table to which people's belongings are moved, there has always been a senior member of staff on hand rather than just leaving junior crew to deal with any disgruntled guest.

I should have explained myself. This was a one time thing. A poster was complaining about chair hogs and stated that she was told to go and sit on her balcony because there was nowhere to sit that was not saved. While I rarely write to the Jason Montague I did in this case (wish that I hadn't because the poster wasn't telling the truth but that is another story). Anyway, a table for belongings and a sign went up and photos were taken and posted on CC. Wish that they would do this on every cruise where the weather is warm enough to be by the pool.

I'm going to take exception to this, because I was a (the:confused:) poster who said that it was suggested to me (BY THE GM) that if there were no available chairs in the shade why not sit on my balcony - the relevant word being "sit" as there is no space for even a single lounger on the balcony.

This was on Explorer in February 2017 and there were many, many instances of totally selfish people hogging both a lounger in the shade AND in the sun - moving when they got too hot or cold.

I'd like to know why and how you believe this was a lie - IT WASN'T!!

Thank you. Yes, everything is good for us and we are experiencing an excellent summer in the UK :cool: Hope you are keeping well.

Not sure why anyone could misinterpret my post and thereby introduce the concept of Regent bringing in official pre-reservation of sun loungers .................. but maybe this could be Regent's next offer for those booking upper level suites - I have a vision of Butlers scurrying around early morning pinning reservation cards on the positions chosen by their clients ;):eek:

Hehe that’s too funny nicely written Flossie :D Jean.

Not sure why anyone could misinterpret my post and thereby introduce the concept of Regent bringing in official pre-reservation of sun loungers .................. but maybe this could be Regent's next offer for those booking upper level suites - I have a vision of Butlers scurrying around early morning pinning reservation cards on the positions chosen by their clients ;):eek:[/q

Mistake in posting sorry--didn't want this one---but funny.