FAO Bonnie re Azamara Best Price guarantee

MIKESCOTLAND

My wife & I have booked 2 Azamara back/back cruises for March 2019 and see the Azamara prices have come down. I have asked our UK travel agent to submit a claim under the Best Price Guarantee but the agent has responded "it seems that the price Guarantee offer only applies to onboard bookings.Therefore if you want to take advantage of the new promotion, we would need to cancel at loss of deposit and rebook at todays price. If this was to be done .....there is also a chance we may not be able to get the same cabin number we already have booked"

I note there is nothing on the Guarantee which shows it is restricted to onboard bookings.

Bonnie is it correct that the Best Price Guarantee only applies to onboard bookings?

My wife & I have booked 2 Azamara back/back cruises for March 2019 and see the Azamara prices have come down. I have asked our UK travel agent to submit a claim under the Best Price Guarantee but the agent has responded "it seems that the price Guarantee offer only applies to onboard bookings.Therefore if you want to take advantage of the new promotion, we would need to cancel at loss of deposit and rebook at todays price. If this was to be done .....there is also a chance we may not be able to get the same cabin number we already have booked"

I note there is nothing on the Guarantee which shows it is restricted to onboard bookings.

Bonnie is it correct that the Best Price Guarantee only applies to onboard bookings?

Unfortunately that’s correct the Best Price Guarantee only applies for the North American market or bookings made onboard. In fact on Journey last month we were told U.K. customers have to pay a £75 admin fee to change an onboard booking.

It’s something that has been discussed on here before about the penalties we have against the US market.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also found out that the best price guarantee does not apply to U.K. customers. When we found a much better price for our booking we had to cancel, lose our deposit and rebook. It was still worth it as we saved £1000 even having lost our deposits. Your TA may still be able to get you the stateroom you want or a very similar one.

I also found out that the best price guarantee does not apply to U.K. customers. When we found a much better price for our booking we had to cancel, lose our deposit and rebook. It was still worth it as we saved £1000 even having lost our deposits. Your TA may still be able to get you the stateroom you want or a very similar one.

This needs some clarification, we have recently booked a 2020 Cruise onboard and were advised by the LCV host Joao that the Best Price Guarantee does now apply to UK guests if booked onboard. There are of course some T&C’s which we have had confirmed by the UK office.

•1 Free price change up to 91 days prior to sailing on a confirmed booking created onboard

•The change excludes a price reduction to our Guarantee rates and special travel agent rates

•You will forfeit all promotions currently sitting on the booking, this also includes onboard promotions

•Not applicable to bookings created from Open Passages

•For the price change, the booking will be refreshed in the same category only. If you wish to change cabin category then an administration fee of £35pp will be charged.

•You are required to pay an additional £125pp deposit (to total £250pp on the booking)

•Standard booking conditions apply within 90 days prior to sailing

•Applicable to new bookings created on or after 18th April 2017

Hope this clarifies the current policy.

Edited by Azamarajunkie

This needs some clarification, we have recently booked a 2020 Cruise onboard and were advised by the LCV host Joao that the Best Price Guarantee does now apply to UK guests if booked onboard. There are of course some T&C’s which we have had confirmed by the UK office.

•1 Free price change up to 91 days prior to sailing on a confirmed booking created onboard

•The change excludes a price reduction to our Guarantee rates and special travel agent rates

•You will forfeit all promotions currently sitting on the booking, this also includes onboard promotions

•For the price change, the booking will be refreshed in the same category only. If you wish to change cabin category then an administration fee of £35pp will be charged.

•You are required to pay an additional £125pp deposit (to total £250pp on the booking)

I have a feeling that there was a thread that stated this earlier in the year, although we were surprised that a change fee had been introduced. I thought the figure of £75 for the booking was mentioned when we booked but I wasn’t really listening so the £35pp is probably correct.

Last year we changed an onboard booking that we had made for later this year, we kept all the benefits of the original booking and there was no fee, so there has been a significant reduction in our t&c’s.

Due to the prices shifts we no longer book our Azamara cruises directly with them, or in advance with a TA when new brochures come out (unless it's a must go, bucket list trip). Instead we wait for third party sales and book. Our last 2 bookings (Caribbean Dec 2017 and Miami to Lima Nov 2018) were deeply discounted with free air, 1 night hotel, and health insurance all free add ons, resulting in thousands of CAD in savings. Same fantastic experience, just much cheaper. :cool:

I have a feeling that there was a thread that stated this earlier in the year, although we were surprised that a change fee had been introduced. I thought the figure of £75 for the booking was mentioned when we booked but I wasn’t really listening so the £35pp is probably correct.

It’s always applied to onboard bookings for U.K. customers. Last year we changed an onboard booking made in 2016 for later this year, we kept all the benefits of the original booking and there was no fee, so there has been a significant reduction in our t&c’s.

Edited by Riocca

We booked a cruise onboard in April and were also told a 75 pounds pp fee would apply to any change to the booking.

We were also told by the sales staff that if we changed the booking to a later cruise the final payment date would remain the same has the original booking.

Even I’m getting confused reading this! :eek:

Let me ask our U.K. office for a clear explanation.

I confuse myself sometimes [emoji16] maybe it would have helped if I’d listened properly.

Thank you for asking for a clear explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hope this clarifies the current policy.

Thank you & others for the helpful comments. I still await Bonnie's reply to my original question but it seems to be a very unfair practice that if one does not book onboard or in North America then one is not covered by Azamara's "best price guarantee". This conflicts with the policy of e.g. Oceania Cruises who in similar circumstances, without any argument, allowed us to fully benefit from a 30% price reduction on an undersold cruise, from Lisbon to Cape Town, again sold to us through a UK travel agent. Azamara's apparent stance makes me question our loyalty to Azamara (7 cruises so far & 3 more booked).

Hi Mike,

I’ve had it confirmed that the Best Price Guarantee for the UK market is only applicable to guests who have made a confirmed booking onboard. This does not include Open Passage bookings.

Please note, the BPG applies to staying on the same voyage...simply requesting a lower available fare. If one wishes to change ship and sail date, there is a transfer fee of £75pp.

9k=

9k=

Due to the prices shifts we no longer book our Azamara cruises directly with them, or in advance with a TA when new brochures come out (unless it's a must go, bucket list trip). Instead we wait for third party sales and book. Our last 2 bookings (Caribbean Dec 2017 and Miami to Lima Nov 2018) were deeply discounted with free air, 1 night hotel, and health insurance all free add ons, resulting in thousands of CAD in savings. Same fantastic experience, just much cheaper. :cool:

I see a lot of merit in your approach but we often have other reasons for booking early

e.g. we can using our Avios (air miles) book our flights 11.5 months before sailings when it is possible to secure 1st/ Business class flights & we can also optimise stateroom choice especially on backs to backs. This has been an important lesson for us and we now expect to book primarily with cruise companies other than Azamara , such as Oceania, which have effective price guarantees for early bookings.

Edited by MIKESCOTLAND
error

Clearly it's all about being an educated consumer, especially considering regional differences. My brother and his wife booked a Venice to Nice cruise while on our Norway cruise. My husband and I couldn't book at that time since I had yet to retire. When I did retire and booked the trip there was virtually no difference in the price despite us booking through a TA 10 months later. My sister-in-law was livid and will not book with Azamara again. I do find it unusual that any booking direct with Azamara (using any method) isn't cheaper than third party. Most hotels certainly guarantee the best price when booked directly with them.

No matter - my husband and I have figured out an approach that suits us. We love Azamara and look forward to our Panama Canal adventure this November!

Thelma600, my wife and I were on the Caribbean trip in Dec over Christmas. I wonder if we crossed paths? It was a great trip. We will be just missing you. We get on the Pursuit in Lima just as you are getting off. Bon Voyage.

Even I’m getting confused reading this! :eek:

Let me ask our U.K. office for a clear explanation.

I can relate. Our TA has been tearing her hair out trying to finalize a South American B2B. We have had random changes to reservation ids and cabin assignments. Just tonight, we received a booking confirmation form with 3 cruises on it and not 2.

Azamara has an opportunity to improve the client experience by updating and modernizing its back office processes.

You are doing a great job, Bonnie. It can be made easier if the back office could be consistent in how it processes cruise reservations. It is Azamara's greatest weakness.

Clearly it's all about being an educated consumer, especially considering regional differences. My brother and his wife booked a Venice to Nice cruise while on our Norway cruise. My husband and I couldn't book at that time since I had yet to retire. When I did retire and booked the trip there was virtually no difference in the price despite us booking through a TA 10 months later. My sister-in-law was livid and will not book with Azamara again. I do find it unusual that any booking direct with Azamara (using any method) isn't cheaper than third party. Most hotels certainly guarantee the best price when booked directly with them.

No matter - my husband and I have figured out an approach that suits us. We love Azamara and look forward to our Panama Canal adventure this November!

Not unusual at all that direct booking is the same as thru TA's. To my knowledge, all cruise lines protect their TA's by not undercutting prices. In fact, most actual cruise prices are identical whether booking direct with the cruise line or thru a TA. That said, the final amount actually paid is often lower thru a TA thru the use of the TA paying for amenities as well as cash rebates all of these coming out of the TA's commission.

There are also reported cases of TA's and consolidators offering significantly discounted cruises at the last minute when cruises are undersold and the cruise lines use specific TA's to sell unbooked cabins/suites. Compared to hotel bookings, commissions paid to TA's are much higher allowing large TA's to use part of their commissions to reward customers and increase their overall sales and profits.

Thelma600, my wife and I were on the Caribbean trip in Dec over Christmas. I wonder if we crossed paths? It was a great trip. We will be just missing you. We get on the Pursuit in Lima just as you are getting off. Bon Voyage.

Hey we may have!..We are from Whitby Ontario - and spent a lot of time on the ship doing very little! Most evenings were in the Living Room listening to great guitar music. Having done Norway and a Mediterranean cruise where we were jumping off the ship all the time for exciting excursions, we really appreciated the merits of the ship and a slow relaxing vacation.

We are very much looking forward to our November cruise :D