Keep Zaandam Cabin or change to Guarantee?

f1jon

My wife and I are booked on the Zaandam June 30 for the 14 day Alaska cruise. We have HH category, cabin 3300. It looks like all ocean view cabins are now Guarantee. Would we be better off changing to a guarantee and hope for something better or keeping what we have? We are 3 points away from 3-Star status (if that matters).

Thanks!

Jon

My wife and I are booked on the Zaandam June 30 for the 14 day Alaska cruise. We have HH category, cabin 3300. It looks like all ocean view cabins are now Guarantee. Would we be better off changing to a guarantee and hope for something better or keeping what we have? We are 3 points away from 3-Star status (if that matters).

Thanks!

Jon

That very cabin is the first one I ever sailed in, and I was very pleased. Out the door, take a left and out one more door and you are outside on the largest verandah on hte ship. As I'm sure you know it is all the way forward, so very little traffic in the passageway. The only problem I had one morning was hearing the anchor chain drop early one morning, however since they tend to use the thrusters now to hold position that is no longer a problem.

Keep what you have.

At this late date you could end up with a bad cabin.

Based on this expert opinion, I would also consider marking the reservation "do not upgrade", or else you could end up with a worse cabin. Of course, you give up the chance of a better one. Depends on how much you like to gamble.

You still might get upsell offers with a do not upgrade.

The only time I ever agreed to an upgrade was on a HAL ship many years ago. We had booked an interior, low deck, middle of ship. We were offered an upgrade to an ocean view. We were first time cruisers and took it. Turned out we were one of the last cabins near to the aft, close to the engine room. Our last night was a long cruise up the Delaware River and we hardly slept as the engine seemed to be changing speeds and using thrusters all night. Now, we select the cabin we want to have and stick with it, UNLESS they can tell us ahead of time which cabin we will be moving to.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Jon

It is a crapshoot. On our May 21 cruise I booked an HH guarantee and ended up in a DA, which for our purposes was ideally located (2661). But we were just lucky. And, BTW, it was our first time on HAL, so elevated status was obviously not a factor.