Luggage - 1 Bigger Bag or 2 Carry-On?

katmu

This will be only be 2nd cruise ever and last time many years ago I remember feeling like it was hard to manage with a big bag, and that was before airline restrictions were as strict but my kids came with on that cruise as well. I definitely need to buy at least 1 new suitcase in the next 6 months as my son and I have another land-based trip to Italy before my cruise to the Caribbean in December. The cruise will be a 7 night cruise out of Port Canaveral on Oasis plus 2 nights before at Universal and 3 nights at Disney after so 12 nights in total. I will be flying on Delta, and I get 1 free checked bag because of status. I'm an experienced traveler and can normally pack carry-on only even for 2 weeks in Europe but for some reason the cruise is making me feel like I'm going to need an extra /bigger bag. I'm planning to bring 2 black cocktail dresses for formal nights with 1 pair of sandals that work with both dresses. I'm trying to keep the rest of my clothes to be mix and match, and limit my other shoes to sneakers (wear on plane), flip flops and walking sandals.

My core question is will it be easier to manage 1 larger 24" or 26' suitcase and a tote or small backpack, or should I stick to a smaller carry-on size roller bag and another carry-on of some sort? My friend that is going on the cruise with me will be flying from a different airport than me so at least some of the time I will have to manage my bags myself. Thank you.

Be aware that the “standard” international carry on size is slightly smaller than the US domestic market. In addition, each carrier may have their own size and weight restrictions.

If you’re just doing US and back, it shouldn’t be an issue.

We are taking a 21" rolling bag each & a small carry on

I have also taken 26" rolling bag each

How much do you really need on a 7 day cruise ;)

I can manage either on my own the carry on I do need help putting in the overhead bin on the plane the other bags are checked

I would do what works best for you

We prefer a large bag each that we check in.....absolutely hate those people carrying (dragging down the narrow crowded aisle) on multiple heavy bags ... shoving them into spaces no where near their seats...Sorry for the rant just one of my pet peeves :eek:

We check a 21" and we each have a carry on - where we put a change of clothes and essential things like meds in case our luggage gets lost. Our first cruise was to Alaska and I bought a suitcase as tall as me. My poor hubby lugged that thing everywhere. Never again. We stash a draw string back pack in the suite case so we can use that on excursions. I pretty much do all black and white clothes with jewelry and scarves for splash. I also use laundry service for underwear and tshirts midway through so I don't have to pack so much.

For Italy, we will be visiting 4 cities and traveling by train so I'm definitely going to limit us both to carry-on only. My son would pack a suitcase just of books if he could so that will be the biggest challenge. At least we aren't flying any budget airlines this trip, just Delta there and back so that helps a bit.

I normally check my carry-on roller and only bring my underseat tote and my crossbody purse on the plane but I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to manage that for the cruise. I have an Eagle Creek fold-up backpack I was going to use for excursions and the theme parks as it doesn't really take any space. Like ricew001, most of the clothes I'm going to pack seem to be black or white plus I have a few wraps in other colors. I think I'm going to do a test pack with the carry-on and see how if I can figure out better exactly how much space I'm really going to need for the cruise based on my packing list.

Take only one on the plane. Take only one on the ship. Check a bigger bag and be done with it.

Also, think about weather conditions in Florida while you are here. And, what will weather conditions be like at home after you are ready to take your flight there. Dress for the weather. And, carry some extra stuff just in case.

Jim

Take only one on the plane. Take only one on the ship. Check a bigger bag and be done with it.

Also, think about weather conditions in Florida while you are here. And, what will weather conditions be like at home after you are ready to take your flight there. Dress for the weather. And, carry some extra stuff just in case.

Jim

From past trips to Orlando at that time of year, a light jacket at least will be a good idea as will something for rain. Weather at home is going to be cold but I won't wear my heavy parka to and from the airport. Layers will have to do.

My husband and I share a big checked bag and each take a small carry on that will fit under the seat. This cruise I am taking a bigger carry on that will need to go overhead. Keep in mind, if your boarding group is near the end you may have to gate check it if they run out of room. Be prepared, if you have anything of real value in that bag.

We normally travel for 4+ months, so probably have more baggage than most. The carry-on is used for cameras, laptop, meds, electronics and DW's CPAP & walking sticks. For checked bags we have 4 - 26" light weight Samsonite spinners, with 4 wheels on each case. In 5+ years and extensive annual travel we have never had an issue with wheels being knocked off and they are easy to manage.

Once you get to check-in, it is most certainly a benefit to drop the bags and not carry them to the gate and then fight your way down a narrow aircraft aisle.

If we did a short cruise I will definitely use a 26" checked bag and minimal carry-on, even if I had to pay for the checked bag.

Flying non-stop or changing planes somewhere determines what I check or carry on. Having flown to Rome for a cruise a few years ago, where my luggage did not arrive until 3 days later as we were heading for the ship, I have learned to pack much more to carry on than just an outfit or two. Of course, on a non-stop the probability is much more reassuring that my luggage will make it on the plane and to my final destination. So then, I take a larger check on and smaller carry on.

Just something to think about.

Three large checked luggage and two small carryon's.

This is usually us too. We recently managed with only two large checked bags and one carryon backpack and my large travel purse...that was downsizing for us. When we've traveled to China I have at times had to buy an additional large suitcase just to bring home my shopping goodies. :'):D

What is going to be easiest for you to manage?

I did 3 weeks in Europe, including a one week river cruise, with a carry-on and a messenger bag because that is what I could manage on trains and buses by myself. Porters are not always available, and elevators don't always work.

If one larger suitcase is easier to manage, go with that.

My past experience with elevators not working in European train stations is why I really try to do only a carry-on roller and a small backpack or tote over there.

When I took my mom to Rome and London, the elevators at the station from Gatwick to our hotel weren’t working so carrying her 26” and my roller plus a tote up multiple flights of stairs was not an experience I want to repeat.

I’ve ordered a 25” suitcase. I’m going to do a test pack of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We only travel with 20" roller carry on each because that is all we can each physically handle. We keep the weight down to 8kg.

Same issue as the OP in train stations, etc. In the past we have passed on formal night in the MDR in favour of alternate dining venues since they no longer hold much attraction to us.

We travel frequently. We meet an increasing number of seniors who are traveling in the same manner for the similar reasons. It is not for everyone and it takes a few trips to get it down to where it works very well. After five or six years of doing this for pleasure we cannot imagine going back to our larger cases. In fact, we have given most of them away.

I have found that with careful planning for a 30+ day cruise, I can get by with one 25" suitcase to check, a 21" to carry-on, and a tote (that also holds my travel purse) to put under the seat. I'm 78.and can manage that much luggage without assistance. (One rolling bag for each hand and the tote stacked on the 21" bag works well for me.)

I used to check a 28" bag, but found that it was much more unwieldy than the 25", and I learned that I can get almost as much in the 25" as the 28".