Feeling Wobbly After A Cruise

This happened to us as well after our our first and second cruises - it was weird, as we had never heard of it before! We did not get seasick during the cruise, but back on land we were very wobbly and felt like we were still at sea. It goes away after a few days, and in our experience it never happened again after our 2nd cruise. Hope you feel better soon!

It's called getting your "Sea Legs", only to return to dry land....imagine being in the navy on not being on dry firm earth for 4-6 months.....

And if the time spent at sea is relatively motionless - calm, it won't happen.....

Edited by B-52

I have never gotten sea sick and it happens to me after every cruise. Most of the time I would be at home in the shower and suddenly I feel a slight sway. I don't worry about it because I know it goes away and I kinda look forward to the weird feeling.

I found it to be much worse if I wore the patch for motion sickness during the cruise. I felt so sick after I got home. Now I just take something as needed. I also find that chewing ginger gum helps' date=' even after the cruise when that "sway" sets in.[/quote']

I usually take one Bonine daily for two or three days after the cruise to smooth out the transition back to land. That works really well for me. (I must wear the patch--home remedies don't work for me).

Teddie

We used to get sea legs after all our cruises. Sadly, we no longer get it.

That's how we are! The first couple of cruises we loved what we called "Boat Moments" every time we'd get out of the vehicle and try to walk into a convenience store looking like we were drunken sailors. LOL We, too, miss our Boat Moments.

I arrived back in Sydney after my 5 night cruise on the Radiance this morning. Although I didn't get sea sick during the cruise, I'm now feeling dizzy and wobbly. Has anyone felt this way and what's the remedy to alleviate this problem?

Your inner ear and everything that helps you with balance thinks you're still on the water and moving with the motion of the ocean. It can cause nausea due to what your brain thinks is happening and what your eyes are seeing don't exactly match up.....

When I was a kid, in New Jersey, I would go out on my uncles' commercial fishing boat (90 feet long). At that time I thought that was a huge boat, coming from land locked Kansas (16ft bass boat is the norm.). One trip we had 10'-15' swells (waves) and I couldn't eat for fear calling "Ear!l". After three days of this, when I got back on land, I was literally doing standing sqauts when standing in place because my brain/equilibrium thought I was still on that non-stop roller coaster:eek:.

Edited by fuelerdude
left out a q..........probably more, but I fail at grammar

This sea leg thing sure is weird. It's like having jet lag without getting on a plane. Like most of you have said, I will get used to it once I do more cruises (this was only my 2nd cruise). I remember getting bad jet lags but I don't get it anymore even on long haul flights.

Just as well I didn't have to go straight back to the office after disembarking from the ship yesterday morning. My girlfriend said sitting on her office chair was like sitting on a rocking horse!!!!

My mom used the Bio-Band and it was the only thing that helped. She could have issues for weeks after the cruise. Once she started using the Bio-Band, she never had problems.

She would put it on as she was leaving home before the cruise. Leave it on thru the cruise, then not remove it until she was home for 24 hours.

http://www.biobands.com/

I've never been seasick either, but I get the dizzy/motion thing when we return too. For me what helps is to take Meclizine HCl25 mg. When I had Benign Positional Vertigo this is what they gave me. RX was the exact same as over the counter. It is a motion sickness med that can be bought over the counter too ... so now I just purchase it that way before any cruise "just in case". I take it at night as it can cause you to be sleepy and by the morning I am not groggy. Works for me.

Walgreens Motion Sickness Relief 25 mg Chewable Tablets Raspberry Flavored

NOTE: Do not take ginger in any form without doctor's OK if you are taking any form of blood thinner or daily aspirin treatment. Ginger can thin your blood too.

Edited by MilliesMom