American queen elvis cruise

Jet2727

Hi

We are an Australian/New Zealand couple booked on the 5 dec elvis American queen cruise. We are in cabin 521. We are 50 and 45. My husband is in the military. Any comments on the cabin or the premium shore excursions would be appreciated. We are both history buffs and love food and wine so please recommend shore excursions.

Any advice on tipping is also appreciated given we want to do what's right but it is not generally approached in the same way in Aust/NZ.

Thanks in advance ☺️

Hi

We are an Australian/New Zealand couple booked on the 5 dec elvis American queen cruise. We are in cabin 521. We are 50 and 45. My husband is in the military. Any comments on the cabin or the premium shore excursions would be appreciated. We are both history buffs and love food and wine so please recommend shore excursions.

Any advice on tipping is also appreciated given we want to do what's right but it is not generally approached in the same way in Aust/NZ.

Thanks in advance ☺️

While I haven't taken that specific voyage, I have traveled all the ports with AQ except Greenville, MS. Because the premium tour to Graceland is included in your fare, the one premium excursion I would recommend is the Vicksburg Battlefield, especially as your husband is in the military. In all the other stops, we were more than satisfied with the included hop on-hop off service. Many of the towns are small enough to walk from stop to stop; in St; Francisville you'll want to take the Ho-Ho bus at leat to the first stop and pick it up at the last stop, as the boat lands some distance from the town. In St. Francisville there is a small specialty stop which uses antique buttons to make incredibly pretty jewelry; I picked out my wife's Christmas present there, and she was pleased.

Regarding tipping, you will have gratuities of $16.50 per day, per person added to your account automatically. On our recent cruise (the same length as yours) the boat was nearly full at 399 guests, so the total amount was at least $52,668, which I believe is adequate for the crew of fewer than 160, some of whom may not be on the gratuity recipient list. If we were to receive very special care from a room attendant or serve we might add a small amount, but we did not on our last couple of AQ cruises.