CPAP Machine

ozcruizer

Unfortunately I have had to go over to using a CPAP machine. We are cruising on the Noordam Saturday week and I am wondering whether anyone has had any issues in using one on a ship, apart from needing a long lead. We will be in a balcony cabin.

I have taken mine many times. I have a 12’ UL extension cord I carry in the bag. I usually leave my machine out all day but store the hose and mask in a drawer. If possible I leave it plugged in with no issues. You may want to either take distilled water or ask HAL to provide. Sometimes I go with ships water as it is very clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used mine on both the Maasdam and the Ooesterdam. I request and extension cord and order the distilled water from the indulgences package under the beverage package, the cost is 2.95 a gallon. You are allowed to bring your own water. For me the convience for $2.95 works for me.

The cabin Steward will set it up for you so the extension cord is out of the way as much as possible

I use the ship water out of the tap, never used distilled water and have had no issues.

I do leave the machine out but always put the hose, plug etc in a drawer out of the way-never leave it plugged in.

I travel with an extension cord but the last few cruises have had a plug right by the bed.

Both my partner and I use CPAP and have never had issues. We bring our own extension cord, plug both machines into it under the bed and plug it in either bedside or at the desk (depending on configuration). We always unplug it from the electrical in the morning (and stuff the cord out of the way under the bed) but we never disconnect our hoses. We use the ship’s tap water, but we use tap water at home too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Contact their Special Needs Dept. they will have a proper extension cord in your room on arrival. Please don’t bring your own. Use one provided by ship’s engineering dept. we also got a gallon of distilled water no charge by contacting Special Needs Dept before the cruise

Unfortunately I have had to go over to using a CPAP machine. We are cruising on the Noordam Saturday week and I am wondering whether anyone has had any issues in using one on a ship, apart from needing a long lead. We will be in a balcony cabin.

just of NA and cord was there and the gallon of distilled water $2.95......

The distilled water was $2.95 for a gallon on the Koningsdam in December. I had pre-ordered it online and it was delivered shortly after we boarded. Other times I have just called and ordered it after I got on board. I think it was in-room dining I had to call. But you can ask your cabin steward - he will know.

I always take my own extension cord. I wouldn't want to take a chance that the ship won't have one for me. Better be prepared.

The distilled water was $2.95 for a gallon on the Koningsdam in December. I had pre-ordered it online and it was delivered shortly after we boarded. Other times I have just called and ordered it after I got on board. I think it was in-room dining I had to call. But you can ask your cabin steward - he will know.

I always take my own extension cord. I wouldn't want to take a chance that the ship won't have one for me. Better be prepared.

When we first started cruising we tried on two separate cruises to use one from the ship. The first time was fine. The second time, they had to bring a cord three times until they got it right. That’s when we decided to bring our own. We just keep it in the CPAP all the time.

My late husband used his for years on the ships and never had any problems. The last machine that he had didn't require water, but when it did, he got it from the ship services and it was never a problem. Just ask your cabin steward if you need assistance finding a plug or an extension cord. Enjoy your cruise.

On the Vista class ships, the closest outlet to the bed is over at the desk. I also bring a laptop with charger. So, I use a plug adapter (not converter) for the 220 volt outlet and plug my 12 ft extension cord into it. Every electronic device made in the last 20 years will work on any voltage from 100 - 240 volts. That leaves the 120 volt outlet open for my laptop charger. I do put the extension cord and the hose/mask into the drawer in the morning. I don't want the cabin steward to have to work around it when they vacuum my room. You can place your order for a gallon of distilled water on the HAL website, under beverages. It's $2.95 for a gallon and it will be in your cabin when you board. For my machine, a gallon will last about 18 days. I have used the ship's tap water with no problems, just rinse your reservoir daily.

• Like 1

Very interesting how many folks use these wonderful machines these days and how many travel with them. I remember when I travelled in the early days with mine, the airport security folks acted like it was a small nuclear device. Told them that my wife can't sleep without it--my wearing it of course! Don't leave home without it. I have always used tap water when I take the humidifier portion (usually if I'm a bit congested or dry sinuses), seems to work just fine "au natural".

On the Vista class ships, the closest outlet to the bed is over at the desk. I also bring a laptop with charger. So, I use a plug adapter (not converter) for the 220 volt outlet and plug my 12 ft extension cord into it. Every electronic device made in the last 20 years will work on any voltage from 100 - 240 volts. That leaves the 120 volt outlet open for my laptop charger.

We always make use of the 220 outlets on our cruises. Many years ago I picked up a couple of 220 outlet 3 port adapters in Germany. Its very compact, sort of like a pyramid with the top cut off. This gives at least 2 and sometime 3 additional connections for use in charging stuff (phones, kindle, tablet, computer, etc.). Just add the standard European -> US Adapters and then we have all the outlets we need. The only item we carry these days that actually requires 120 is the DWs curling iron.

We have not been on a ship yet with the new USB ports, but I'll bet that helps out a bunch. It might even allow me to leave the 10' braided USB cables at home.

• 3 months later...
I have used mine on all our cruises without any problems. I pack a long extension cord and purchase the distilled water provided by the cruise line.

How long of a cord do you need for the older ships? i.e., Veendam, Amsterdam, Prinsendam, etc.

How long of a cord do you need for the older ships? i.e., Veendam, Amsterdam, Prinsendam, etc.

I have a 12’ cord and it works fine. I store mine during the day so it’s not in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make my DH pack an extension cord and there is no problem. It may also depend on cabin category you book. Just off the Eurodam regular balcony and no extension cord was needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring two cords of different lengths, as some cabins need more length than others. Hotels frequently have the outlet across from the bed, too, so I want to have what I need the night before boarding.

IIRC, there was one time I needed both cords!

My extension cords live in the carry-on, along with a 120 triple tap, and adaptors for a variety of 220 outlets. The CPAP goes in there, and does not count for US airlines, as durable medical equipment is exempt from the 1-carry-on rule.