Seven Seas Suite on Explorer vs Concierge Suite

SeaQue

I haven't been able to find out much about the Explorer's Seven Seas Suites, located forward (701, 702, 801, 802). The only thing I found is about the bathrooms; apparently forward Seven Seas suites have 1 bath and midship Seven Seas suites have 1 & 1/2 bath. Someone eluded to small closets; low ceilings; and wind... but they didn't reference suite # or ship.

Considering the most expensive suites are forward suites, I don't think the complaint about too much wind is a viable point of negativity. But maybe? Especially for a January cruise??

We very much enjoyed our previous cruise on the Explorer; so we booked another!

Our Concierge Suite #752 was great; no complaints! The curtain between the bed and sitting area was nice; but a separate room would be better (and yes, more expensive). But we're considering it. Any information about Seven Seas Suites in the forward part of the ship would be appreciated!

I haven't been able to find out much about the Explorer's Seven Seas Suites, located forward (701, 702, 801, 802). The only thing I found is about the bathrooms; apparently forward Seven Seas suites have 1 bath and midship Seven Seas suites have 1 & 1/2 bath. Someone eluded to small closets; low ceilings; and wind... but they didn't reference suite # or ship.

Considering the most expensive suites are forward suites, I don't think the complaint about too much wind is a viable point of negativity. But maybe? Especially for a January cruise??

We very much enjoyed our previous cruise on the Explorer; so we booked another!

Our Concierge Suite #752 was great; no complaints! The curtain between the bed and sitting area was nice; but a separate room would be better (and yes, more expensive). But we're considering it. Any information about Seven Seas Suites in the forward part of the ship would be appreciated!

Hi, we have booked 752 for our next cruise. Nice to know it was great. What do you mean by 1 and 1/2 baths?

Suzez, Some suites have a full bathroom in addition to a half bathroom (toilet & sink only) = 1 and 1/2 baths.

We don't really care about the half-bath powder-room. I'm wondering how low that slanted ceiling is in the bedroom of the Seven Seas Suite. It appears to be dangerously low :-o But surely that's an optical illusion?!?

We will be in a forward Seven Seas suite that does have 1 1/2 baths so it may be helpful if you ask you TA about which suites have the extra 1/2 bath which we find very important.

I'm not that tall (almost 5' 4") and can touch the ceilings on all Regent suites. I've toured the Seven Seas suite on Explorer and did not find the ceiling lower than in any other street (exceptions are those ceilings in the front or back of the ship that slope -- it appears that the linked view of the suite has that type of ceiling).

The bedroom in the suite featured looks very similar to the bedroom in suite 901 where we recently stayed, at the front of the ship. The suite was originally an Explorer Suite, reclassified as a Grand Suite. My husband is over 6 feet tall and had no issue with the sloped ceiling as the area around the bed is not sloped at all. The bedroom does not have a particularly expansive feel, but it was extremely well appointed and quite comfortable. We had no issue with the wind although it often made the balcony unusable. In all other aspects we loved the suite and would not hesitate to book again.

SeaQue,

IMO, the four forward Seven Seas Suites are inferior to 922 and 923, which I believe are the two best Seven Seas Suites. Compare the virtual tours on the website for the Seven Seas Suites and the Explorer Suites. The Explorer Suite virtual tour will show you what 922 and 923 look like inside the suites.

SeaQue,

IMO, the four forward Seven Seas Suites are inferior to 922 and 923, which I believe are the two best Seven Seas Suites. Compare the virtual tours on the website for the Seven Seas Suites and the Explorer Suites. The Explorer Suite virtual tour will show you what 922 and 923 look like inside the suites.

I agree!!!! We were just in the Explorer suite (918). Loved it. The Seven Seas suites 922 and 923 are identical except a narrower balcony. But it is still huge. Go for it, if available.

Enjoy!

Sheila

We were in a SS suite forward and would never book it again. The slant of the windows make it uncomfortable to stand or sit to look out the windows. The bed area is not affected so you can stand up there. The sliding glass doors to the balcony whistled constantly even though the wonderful suite attendant tried to remedy it each evening. There is a door to the separate bedroom, but it is glass, so if one person stays up late, the light may be bothersome. It has to be propped open with a plastic wedge. The suite had many maintenance issues..both the tub and shower faucets leaked and were replaced. Wood paneling falling down in living area, and 2 of the window shades were broken the entire cruise. We are booked in a penthouse for our next explorer cruise and hope we are happy with the “downsizing”. This is my opinion, and perhaps others have had better experiences with these forward suites. BTW, the Mariner aft SS suites are exquisite!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in a SS suite forward and would never book it again. The slant of the windows make it uncomfortable to stand or sit to look out the windows. The bed area is not affected so you can stand up there. The sliding glass doors to the balcony whistled constantly even though the wonderful suite attendant tried to remedy it each evening. There is a door to the separate bedroom, but it is glass, so if one person stays up late, the light may be bothersome. It has to be propped open with a plastic wedge. The suite had many maintenance issues..both the tub and shower faucets leaked and were replaced. Wood paneling falling down in living area, and 2 of the window shades were broken the entire cruise. We are booked in a penthouse for our next explorer cruise and hope we are happy with the “downsizing”. This is my opinion, and perhaps others have had better experiences with these forward suites. BTW, the Mariner aft SS suites are exquisite!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the detailed review of the SS suite forward. Would you mind letting me know the number of the suite that you were in? We have toured the SS suites but not specifically the forward ones. We are used to slanted windows and that does not bother us at all. Did the suite that you were in have 1 1/2 baths? Just curious.

Not trying to be negative but the PH suites on Explorer are the only ones that we won't book. After touring them twice on the christening cruise, we knew someone in a PH suite last year and looked at it again. The closet is probably 1/3 the size of the closets in the F1/F2/Concierge suites - there is no bathtub -- just a weird suite. Just want to give you a heads up. Our friend did a B2B (christening cruise followed by the maiden voyage on Explorer). She was in a concierge suite on the christening cruise and a PH suite on the maiden voyage and preferred the concierge suite (they really are great suites).

The only reason that we booked the SS suite (even though it is forward) is because my DH feels rather strongly about having the 1/2 bath.

Hello, Travel Cat. We were in Suite 801. There is only one bathroom. The forward SS Suites do not have the extra 1/2 bath. That is a reason we love the Mariner SS aft. I am sorry to hear that you don't like the PH's on the Explorer, as I value your opinions. I did not tour any of these suites while aboard last June, and cant really tell from the virtual tours and photos, so...are there pocket doors between the sleeping and living area, or just the blackout curtains to draw in the evening? We really are not concerned much about the closet, and can just pull our suitcases out if we need to store items there. Most of our clothing is travel worthy...knit and almost wrinkle free. Although we do take advantage of the free pressing and laundry.

BTW, I will ask this question again, as I think you missed it the first time: How is your temperature control wrist band working? Does it really make you cooler or warmer? Our son-in-law is an attorney working on the patent, and he says they are to be for sale later this year, and has already ordered one for our daughter. I would love to forward what you have to say about this product to him....unless you are not allowed to reveal anything yet.

BTW, I will ask this question again, as I think you missed it the first time: How is your temperature control wrist band working? Does it really make you cooler or warmer? Our son-in-law is an attorney working on the patent, and he says they are to be for sale later this year, and has already ordered one for our daughter. I would love to forward what you have to say about this product to him....unless you are not allowed to reveal anything yet.

Sorry that I missed the question. I just received the production version of Embr Wave (the cooling/heating band) this month. I've been using it for months (the prototype - as a beta tester) and tried it both in Alaska and the Amazon. How interesting that your son-in-law is working on the patent. They are for sale now but there is a significant wait-list (months). Yes - it does work but not in extreme temperatures. It works well onboard the ship for instance. When it feels too warm (I always feels too warm) in Compass Rose, a couple of clicks of the band will have me feeling comfortable in a few minutes. In Alaska the heat setting also was helpful. For people that feel cold when everyone else is fine (I see that on the ship a lot) or feel hot when most people are not, this is the perfect solution. I sound like an advertisement for the product but I really like it and it solves the too hot/too cold issues when I'm onboard a ship. While not exactly a fashion statement, I wear it all the time when on the the ship.

Back to the subject. I have to double check that the suite that we are in has 1 1/2 bathrooms. My TA said that it does. In terms of the PH suites on the Explorer, if the closet doesn't matter much and you don't need a bathtub, it should be fine!

How much closet space do we really need?? We bring two large suitcases. Only evening dresswear and jackets are hung in the closet. Everything else is stored in drawers. And, We never use a bathtub, at home or at sea. .

We have been in the Conceirge suite and the Explorer suite (918- 1 1/2 baths). We loved them both. So for our next Explorer cruise, we are trying the PH suite. We like the layout of 2 separate rooms and a real table for breakfast. And, the butler. It's in the middle category of the two we have sailed so far. We have seen it. Yes, the rooms are a bit narrow, but better than just one open room. Obviously, can't compare it to Explorer suite. But it offers some extras over Conceirge suite, which IMO is one of the best designed cabins on the seven Seas. Isn't it sometimes just a matter of what we choose to spend for each cruise? Our choice of suite is also influenced by the number of sea days. If the itinerary is port intensive, the suite is totally unimportant.

Just my two cents!

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

We toured a penthouse suite while onboard last year. We normally book a penthouse suite but on Explorer last year we opted for a concierge as to be honest I wasn’t sure of the layout in the photographs and that was prior to the virtual tour option.

We liked the tour we had onboard and would definitely book that.

The bathroom was lovely, huge shower, and a bath was not something we would have used in any case.

We liked the concierge suite but found the living area couch too small and uncomfortable. Yes the wardrobe was huge, but the one in the penthouse suite would be plenty room, and I am not a light traveller by any stretch of the imagination. In reality it’s a very well appointed suite with butler service. Jean.

We toured a penthouse suite while onboard last year. We normally book a penthouse suite but on Explorer last year we opted for a concierge as to be honest I wasn’t sure of the layout in the photographs and that was prior to the virtual tour option.

We liked the tour we had onboard and would definitely book that.

The bathroom was lovely, huge shower, and a bath was not something we would have used in any case.

We liked the concierge suite but found the living area couch too small and uncomfortable. Yes the wardrobe was huge, but the one in the penthouse suite would be plenty room, and I am not a light traveller by any stretch of the imagination. In reality it’s a very well appointed suite with butler service. Jean.

Well said!

Sheila

Grandmommy, Pocket doors divide the living area from bedroom in the PH suites on Explorer. We do not use bath tubs frequently so loved the large walk-in shower. We also really liked the veranda, many evenings enjoyed with appetizers and friends.

• 4 months later...