Seabourn Ovation - High Speed WiFi???

SEABOURN - PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR LOYAL GUESTS - WE WANT HI SPEED WIFI AND INCLUDED! So the Carnival Corporation (Seabourn parent) is rolling out high speed WiFi on Princess ships. They will have a band width that can accommodate 6,000 guests at once with ability to stream video, have Face Time calls etc. I really hope at least with the launch of Ovation that Seabourn uses this technology to ensure high speed WiFi is available on Ovation - soon to be newest ship - and launches on all other ships. Seems crazy to me that a mass market product like Princess should have hi speed WiFi before a ship of only 500-600 passengers with it's luxury relative Seabourn. Perhaps akin to Chevrolet offering a high tech feature before it becomes available with Cadillac. Makes no sense. Here's a link:

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Carnival-Corp-Tests-New-High-Speed-MedallionNet-WiFi-on-Princess-Cruises

Somehow some people think that posting on CC is a direct link to the administrations of cruise lines. That's not what CC is for. CC is for complaining about dress codes and kids on board.

And in the days of yore, smoking.

• 2 months later...

It is time to discontinue the negative comments on Seabourn wi-fi ---- at least regarding Ovation. We just disembarked Ovation on June 9. After 35 days aboard, I can unequivocally state that the wi-fi was SUPERB every single day. A wonderful change from prior experience. My connection at all times was immediate and without lagging... even when everyone was on board and at the typically most busy access times.

As I mentioned in another thread the internet on Ovation is as good as on land. We had no problem streaming a football game for 2 hours.

We were using an iPad so needed an HDMI cable to watch on Samsung TV.

I’m sure they will roll out fast internet across the fleet but it will take time.

As I mentioned in another thread the internet on Ovation is as good as on land. We had no problem streaming a football game for 2 hours.

We were using an iPad so needed an HDMI cable to watch on Samsung TV.

I’m sure they will roll out fast internet across the fleet but it will take time.

Yes, better wi-fi is inevitable on ships but will it be included on Seabourn? The included wi-fi on Viking Oceans is the best we encountered on ships but could not stream content. It was fine for email, surfing, checking bills, downloading kindle books but not streaming ESPN.:eek: Seems a luxury line like Seabourn would include wifi.

I also just left the Ovation on June 9 and had a great time. The wifi was adequate for my limited purpose of sending emails and downloading documents. However, I did not make a deposit for another cruise and one major factor was due to the high cost of wifi. I realize the internet cost is insignificant when you factor in the cost of the cruise but it really does have an effect on me.

I also just left the Ovation on June 9 and had a great time. The wifi was adequate for my limited purpose of sending emails and downloading documents. However, I did not make a deposit for another cruise and one major factor was due to the high cost of wifi. I realize the internet cost is insignificant when you factor in the cost of the cruise but it really does have an effect on me.

What was the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for replies everyone! I have been in contact with a few of the officers on Ovation and they confirmed WiFi speed is much faster than other Seabourn ships. However, no word as to whether and when other ships in the fleet will get the upgrade. Seabourn still remains my favorite! A very special experience indeed.

If 'included' internet is going to cause slower speeds because of more user demand then it would be best for Seabourn to not introduce it until they are able to offer high speed internet fleetwide.

Having been one of the unfortunate guinea pigs on the Odyssey holiday cruise in 2015 in which they had an expert on board before the ship departed Port Everglades whose job was to 'tweak' the network to improve it, I dread to think how bad the internet as it is currently would be with more users.

I've now heard several very positive reviews about the speed on the Ovation. Hopefully SB will roll out the same system across the fleet before considering offering it for 'free'.

SB would also need to consider Diamond members and their benefits too. Perhaps unlimited free usage of the Retreat?:evilsmile:

Hopefully the Ovations hispeed connection is't one thats only hispeed when within LOS/near of land.

Well yes, exactly. Hard to tell at this stage given Ovation's itinerary so far. Probably several months until it can be tested properly.