should I switch from Princess to AZ for Alaska 2019?

susiesan

I am currently booked on Coral Princess Alaska 7 day Seward to Vancouver June 19,2019 in a balcony. There is a very attractive price on AZ Quest 8 day Vancouver to Seward July 30, 2019 in an inside for not much more than the balcony on Princess. I have sailed on AZ before so I know lots of amenities are included that are extra on Princess. I prefer smaller ships, booked Coral as thee smallest ship Princess has.

Should I switch the booking?

If you haven't done an Alaska cruise before, I would push to Princess because they do both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. OTOH the June sailing is too early to see bears active, so that would push back toward Azamara in late July.

If you do stay with Princess make sure you go to the right port to start your trip [Coral leaves from Whittier, not Seward]

I am a fan of Azamara, so I will take Azamara at comparable prices and itineraries.

Seward is a very difficult port to arrive or leave for us international guests. I am looking at Azamara for Alaska but I would like something ending in Vancouver.

Ivi

If you haven't done an Alaska cruise before, I would push to Princess because they do both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. OTOH the June sailing is too early to see bears active, so that would push back toward Azamara in late July.

If you do stay with Princess make sure you go to the right port to start your trip [Coral leaves from Whittier, not Seward]

Yes, I do know that Coral leaves from Whittier. She makes only 3 port stops where Quest makes 5, Sitka and Icy Straight Point being extra. We would pay extra for gratuities on Princess, incl on AZ. We are not big drinkers of alcohol, but do drink coffee incl on AZ. I know the food will be better on AZ than on Princess. At this point there are no OBC or offers on the Princess cruise.

Part of this vacation will be spending a week in Alaska driving to Denali and other parks either before or after the cruise. So we would be in Alaska from around June 12-18 with the Princess and in Alaska Aug. 8-15 with AZ.

I am a fan of Azamara, so I will take Azamara at comparable prices and itineraries.

Seward is a very difficult port to arrive or leave for us international guests. I am looking at Azamara for Alaska but I would like something ending in Vancouver.

Ivi

The problem is that unless I am wrong, Azamara does not do Glacier Bay. If so, the itineraries can never be comperalee. As has been stated by someone else, in Ak the decision factor should always be the itinerary and not the ship.

DON

Tough call. Personally, I’d have a tough time being in an inside cabin - couldn’t do it.

Have you also checked into Viking Oceans? They’ll be cruising Alaska too. Their ships are stunning and I’d rate the food much better than Azamara or Princess. Lovely promenade decks on Viking. Holland America does Alaska quite well too, but I’d rate the food as the lowest of the ones I’ve suggested. Love their promenade decks though (on their smaller ships). And they have the edge on access to Glacier Bay.

Second the suggestion of looking at Viking. Great ship for a cruise that might be on the cooler side with more expansive indoor/outdoor spaces and two indoor pools and an amazing spa. We were on Viking Star in the Med in January and enjoyed it very much. Also included shore excursions were a plus for us.

Getting INTO Glacier Bay is the tipping point for me.

It seems the consensus is Glacier Bay is so spectacular that diehard fans of Azamara would choose Princess for an Alaska cruise.

I did get pricing from my TA to compare and here's the breakdown:

Coral Princess aft balcony 7 days $2034 each all in, no OBC, no prepaid grats, $291/day

Quest Cat 8 OV 8 days $2409 each all in, $50 OBC, grats incl., $301/day

It seems the consensus is Glacier Bay is so spectacular that diehard fans of Azamara would choose Princess for an Alaska cruise.

Coral Princess aft balcony 7 days $2034 each all in, no OBC, no prepaid grats, $291/day

Been on Princess and Celebrity. If I went a third time back on Princess. I lucked out and had a sunny day, but had rain in Hubbard. Plan on rain and enjoy the sun.

Many loyal cruisers of any line switch due to ports in AK. Times in ports,the glaciers etc. I have onky gone in July. You must read the AK. boards

I still insist that in AK, it is what is outside and not what is inside that counts. However, if the dollars are important, remember that all drinks are included on Azamara. This means that if you buy one drink per day on Princess, you have equalized the price. Two drinks which includes sida, wine, bottled water, etc and Azamara comes out cheaper.

Also, in general the Azamara captains are much cooler and more flexible than Princess captains.

DON

I still insist that in AK, it is what is outside and not what is inside that counts.

Unfortunately, the Azamara ships lose on this count as well. Coral Princess has a larger Promenade Deck [full wrap-around] plus multiple public balconies both fore and aft [where Azamara has only suites]. As a Panamax design Coral is long and narrow, which means lots more rail space per passenger. [i'm discounting the top decks on both ships because they aren't covered and it is likely to be rainy, cold and windy for glacier viewing] For Alaska I would book a Club-class Mini-suite on Coral Princess to maximize dining and amenities. For anywhere else, Azamara in a NY minute!

Unfortunately, the Azamara ships lose on this count as well. Coral Princess has a larger Promenade Deck [full wrap-around] plus multiple public balconies both fore and aft [where Azamara has only suites]. As a Panamax design Coral is long and narrow, which means lots more rail space per passenger. [i'm discounting the top decks on both ships because they aren't covered and it is likely to be rainy, cold and windy for glacier viewing] For Alaska I would book a Club-class Mini-suite on Coral Princess to maximize dining and amenities. For anywhere else, Azamara in a NY minute!

I think I am now convinced to stick with my Coral Princess cruise. I do have an excellent cabin reserved, E736, the very last balcony. It is completely covered and appears to have a view both to the side and aft. I am also steps away from an aft viewing deck on the stern. Princess calls this a premium balcony. This cabin comes highly recommended by people who frequent Princess in Alaska.

Hopefully over the next year and a half Princess will have some specials or offers, show in some OBC or other benefits to help bring the cost down. I will return to AZ someday with another itinerary.

I think I am now convinced to stick with my Coral Princess cruise. I do have an excellent cabin reserved, E736, the very last balcony. It is completely covered and appears to have a view both to the side and aft. I am also steps away from an aft viewing deck on the stern. Princess calls this a premium balcony. This cabin comes highly recommended by people who frequent Princess in Alaska.

Hopefully over the next year and a half Princess will have some specials or offers, show in some OBC or other benefits to help bring the cost down. I will return to AZ someday with another itinerary.

I would suggest you sign up with one of the cruise price monitoring websites [which we can't name]. Princess does run sales on Alaska cruises, and often the sale price doesn't stay up long. Our TA has been able to rebook us in the same cabin at the lower price.

I would suggest you sign up with one of the cruise price monitoring websites [which we can't name]. Princess does run sales on Alaska cruises, and often the sale price doesn't stay up long. Our TA has been able to rebook us in the same cabin at the lower price.

I never knew there was such a web site but I think I found it (crxxxxxine.com) and signed up for an alert on the Coral Princess cruise. I do know how to set up an alert for airfares, on skyscanner.

Sounds like you've made your decision and I think it's the right one. I love Azamara, but for Alaska, I would never choose an inside...there's non-stop scenery and you can't be up top all the time. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...
Sounds like you've made your decision and I think it's the right one. I love Azamara, but for Alaska, I would never choose an inside...there's non-stop scenery and you can't be up top all the time. Enjoy your cruise!

If your Alaska cruise is a one way northbound journey try to book your [balcony] accommodation on the starboard side of the ship because 90% of the things you'll want to see on an Alaskan cruise going north are on starboard.

When choosing a cruise line keep in mind that Princess and Holland America pretty much own Alaska. All port talks, other than the one or two hosted by a local forest ranger, tend to be disguised invitations to shop in their stores when you're ashore (don't even think about buying "discount" vouchers for use in "select" stores :rolleyes:).

If you're traveling on to Denali by train (a place you don't want to miss (y)) guess who owns most of the accommodations in Denali?

These 'Lodges' are staffed by some of the most wonderful seasonal staff you'll ever be served by but to me the lodges themselves reminded me of large 'Motel 4s' - if there were such a thing as a 'Motel 4'.

Should I decide to do another Alaska cruise (very likely) I'd bite the ($) bullet and let Azamara or Viking do the 'driving' this time. Regardless of what you choose, enjoy your adventure!