Average Passenger Age?

Lightngsvt

Hello everyone, my wife and I are booking the Nov. 20, 2018 sailing to Cuba. This will be our first cruise on Azamara, our preferred line is Celebrity. What are the demographics of a cruise like this sailing from Miami? I know on Celebrity you have all age groups from kids to seniors, but 40's - 60's seem to be the most common. FWIW we are 44/45 years old, will we be out of place?

For the evening attire, are khaki type pants and a polo acceptable, or would dress slacks and a button-down be more appropriate?

I'm looking forward to trying a new line, and a small(er) luxury ship. I love Celebrity but think this will be a great experience. Oh, and one more question: how is the motion onboard compared to a large ship like the Celebrity Equinox where you fell almost no movement whatsoever?

It does vary each cruise but around 50 to 70 the norm. Plenty of 35 and above in many. Cruises.

Pants with polo or dress shirt. Many men wear polo seven nights a week and other men only dress shirts. Mix it up l

Just no jeans and T-shirt’s at night buffett

Hi....I am 70 years old and spent my last cruise on Journey dancing with a 14 year old...amazing dancer!

There were a couple of babies and children onboard but this was the first time we have cruised with children. In the main 30's to 80's and a lovely mix.

At dinner it is smart casual and most people dress well...in Asia where it was very hot it was a little more casual but ladies still have a few sequins in their T shirts!

Which itinerary you are looking at? On the long reposition voyages, people seem to be older. I would say average about 65 to 70.

I have seen people being not allowed in the main restsurant because of jeans and sandals hawaina style. There is always the option of eating at the buffet in which the dressing code is more relaxed.

Ivi

My experience has been variable, but when comparing to Celebrity I’d say the average age is slightly older, but more active with less scooters and other mobility aids around. I think this is because the ships are destination focussed with less to do onboard. Depending on your cruise there may be a couple of younger children, often officers kids and a smattering of younger age too. I don’t think you will feel out of place. I never have and started on Azamara when I was 45.

Phil

Thank you, everyone, for your input! Sounds like a nice mix of age groups, it sounds like the destination focus and more casual atmosphere contribute to a fun cruise. We are looking at a short 4- night cruise from Miami to Key West, then an overnight in Havana Cuba. It'll be our 3rd cruise this year which is hard to do with work and all, but everything lined up so we're going to do it. I have been wanting to go to Cuba since the ban was lifted, I'm excited! It was our Future Cruise Concierge on the Equinox who suggested Azamara as Celebrity doesn't sail to Cuba.

Im really looking forward to the service on Azamara, I've so many great things about how amazing the crew is.

On Celebrity, I usually wear khaki pants and a button-down shirt, or nice jeans with a button-down shirt and a blazer. I see alot of guys now tend towards khakis or dress pants and Tommy Bahama type Hawiaan shirts. WIll my dress code translate? My wife gernerally wears light weight dresses with a light sweater or shawl.

Hello everyone, my wife and I are booking the Nov. 20, 2018 sailing to Cuba. This will be our first cruise on Azamara, our preferred line is Celebrity. What are the demographics of a cruise like this sailing from Miami? I know on Celebrity you have all age groups from kids to seniors, but 40's - 60's seem to be the most common. FWIW we are 44/45 years old, will we be out of place?

For the evening attire, are khaki type pants and a polo acceptable, or would dress slacks and a button-down be more appropriate?

I'm looking forward to trying a new line, and a small(er) luxury ship. I love Celebrity but think this will be a great experience. Oh, and one more question: how is the motion onboard compared to a large ship like the Celebrity Equinox where you fell almost no movement whatsoever?

We have traveled on both Journey and Quest and the age can be pretty much the same as you experienced on Celebrity (40-60+). It’s not often to have children on the ship; but if you do, we have found them to be very polite and well behaved.

One of the best things I find on Azamara is the dress code is very casual. Wear what you feel suits you...it is your vacation after all and that is what Azamara is all about. Khaki pants and polo shirts are great outfits for Azamara.

We have done about 6 Azamara Cruises with no issues on motion sickness and one of them was to Antarctica and another up to Norway.

Hope this helps.

On a short cruise like this, is it worth trying to book a dinner in Prime C?

I would go the first night out of Mia. After Key West you could be full from eating in town. In Havana you will be out wandering around listening to music.

So far even with new rules thst change weekly guests have done a ships tour or not..me. Thrn wander on their own. Some good places to eat and some fair. Most have music.

My wife and I have been Aqua class on Celebrity Equinox, and I can say that Azamara is less formal, if you want it to be. Bring a sports coat if you want to jazz it up. I found that the MDR can be hot with a jacket, but I am Canadian and we tend to run cooler.

Did see people in formal wear, but it was their choice. So if you like to dress up that will be fine as well and you will not be alone.

Personally, I would not drop below resort casual for the main venues. Wear what is acceptable in the dining room of any mid-level golf course.

It is a smaller ship so it rolls more than the Equinox. However, it is not a tall, so the effect of a roll is diminished. My wife is sensitive to rolling at night and it was not a problem. Usually rules for cabin selection apply. Stay amidships and on the lower decks if you have a sensitivity to motion sickness.

Great info! But of course, I have a few more questions: Speaking of food, how does the food in the MDR compare to food on Celebrity, MDR or Blu? Or Prime C vs. Tuscan Grill (big fans)?

More things to do in Cuba, I was thinking of doing a tour with Azamara the first day. On the overnight will there be an Azamazing Evening given its only 4 nights? The 2nd day I was thinking of doing the convertible tour with old car tours http://www.oldcartours.com/classic_car_tours_in_cuba . I assume this covers the "educational" requirements for the Visa, correct? And will a short sailing like this have a White Nights party?

DH and I cruised to Cuba on Azamara over last Thanksgiving. We are also mid 40's. We were among the youngest people on board, but since we normally cruise luxury lines, we are used to that. It has never bothered us, though it is funny that someone comments on it on every cruise. We made some new friends, as we do every cruise on every line. I would agree that this seemed a more active group than on Celebrity. We haven't dined in Blu, but ate our meals in Luminae when we did our Celebrity cruises. We thought the food was much better in Luminae than in any venue on Azamara including specialty restaurants. But the service is fabulous on Azamara. Very genuine.

As far as attire, your go to outfit of khakis or nice jeans with a button down will fit right in on Azamara. And your wife sounds like she will be perfectly attired as well. You might want to throw in a couple of Tommy Bahama shirts, as it is hot in Cuba and those short sleeves served my husband well.

We toured with Blexie (blexie100588@gmail.com) and couldn't recommend him more. $130 CUC for a full day with a guide and driver and a classic car. Our guide wound up being George, as Blexie was sick that day, and he was so knowledgeable and eager to show us every thing we wanted to see and answer all of our questions. He really made the trip for us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't dined in Blu, but ate our meals in Luminae when we did our Celebrity cruises. We thought the food was much better in Luminae than in any venue on Azamara including specialty restaurants. But the service is fabulous on Azamara. Very genuine.

That is slightly disappointing to hear actually. I personally found the food in Luminae on par with Blu and in some instances not that much of a step up over the MDR. Sure the presentation was a bit nicer and the service better but the overall quality of the food wasn't leaps and bounds. I don't mean to sound too negative as Im sure we will really enjoy ourselves.

I did book today, cabin 4050 on the Journey for the Nov 20th sailing. We're excited for a new adventure.

That is slightly disappointing to hear actually. I personally found the food in Luminae on par with Blu and in some instances not that much of a step up over the MDR. Sure the presentation was a bit nicer and the service better but the overall quality of the food wasn't leaps and bounds. I don't mean to sound too negative as Im sure we will really enjoy ourselves.

I did book today, cabin 4050 on the Journey for the Nov 20th sailing. We're excited for a new adventure.

Food is extremely subjective. Don't get your hopes up or down on what strangers tell you about it. Easier said than done, I know. We were probably more disappointed in the food because the rave reviews it gets here weren't reflected on our cruise for us. I will say that the breakfasts were very good both in the main dining room and the buffet. I'm not much of a breakfast eater so I'm not the toughest critic. But I am a stickler for a properly poached egg, and they never failed to deliver.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

The average passenger age question always seems to come up when looking at cruise ships. The answer shouldn't be based on the number of candles on a persons birthday cake. I know many young folks that are really old and not much fun to be with. My father who lived into his 90s when asked what it was like being old liked to respond by saying, "I don't know? I've never been old". He got it right.

There are cruise ships dedicated to youth and endless entertainment and they do very well serving that demographic. Azamara isn't that kind of product but it certainly isn't a rest home with propellers either. Those 1,000 foot long floating resort/amusement parks fill a very specific need but after you've seen a bit of the world from something other than a rock climbing wall, zip line or water slide it doesn't take long for those kinds of adventures to loose much of their appeal. There's no shortage of "older folks" aboard them either. :cool:

I think you'll enjoy this type of cruising so don't be worried that cursing on a smaller ship will be like cruising on a hospital ship.

Dinner dress codes have been beaten to death on Cruise Critic for years but think of this, would you want an invited guest at your daughters wedding to show up in jeans and t-shirt?

Have a little respect for your fellow passengers who made the effort to be presentable at dinner and dress like your cruise is something a lot more special than a visit to a fast food restaurant. A nice pair of [unwrinkled] trousers and a polo or dress shirt (bonus points for a blazer!) should be a gentleman's minimum standard for dinner when seated in the dinning rooms of a quality ship. Having a little self pride and cleaning up for dinner (it's not fair to have your wife stuck with the job of making you look good because she dressed nicely) only takes seconds.

I'd bet that anyone reading this thread might be a little upset if their server presented them their multi course dinner wearing shorts and a Azamara logo t-shirt. Save the "well he's getting paid" line - please.

I agree. The food is good in Luminae, but honestly we have never seen the fawning level that some seem to find over the cuisine there. And if it is so wonderful, you wonder why one of the benefits that so many tout about Luminae is that "the MDR menu is available every night."

I think you will find the food on Azamara a definite step above the MDR on any =X= ship. And I know you are a fan of Tuscan (we are not) but I think you will find equal or better throughout on Azamara.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the info Magnum60. However, I hope my natural curiosity did not offend you in some way.

Better late than never with my followup post Lightngsvt.

Your natural curiosity was hardly offensive to me or likely any Forum member. Your wanting to know what to expect when booking any type of expensive vacation sure beats being blind sided and having to say, "I wish I'd known that before hand".

On a short cruise like this, is it worth trying to book a dinner in Prime C?

On a short cruise I wouldn't bother with specialty restaurants. The main dining room is excellent! Having said that, Prime C is excellent too, jus why pay extra?:cool: