Dining alone in Britannia Club

CarrollQuinn

I am taking a "memorial" Atlantic Crossing on Cunard and prefer to dine alone (I have a confirmed table for two). I realize another solo might be seated with me--but I can handle that.

My question is: if I am dining alone would it be acceptable if I were to read while dining? I've cruised quite a bit but not on Cunard (and never alone), and I accept that this line has protocols other may not.

Thank you.

• Like 1

We seen solo diners. Reading, writing in journals or just gazing at the sea.

As soon as get on the ship go to the dining room and instruct the room captain that you want to dine alone. They can usually accommodate you and note it on the table chart so that another solo traveler doesn't get assigned to that table.

• Like 1

I am just back from my 4th World Voyage. Have been at a table for 8 in Britannia Club for more than 100 days! Decided on my return crossing back to NY I would have a fable for two. I loved it! Took my kindle with me and just enjoyed the peace! Enjoyed visiting with those around me but not all the time. Highly recommend it and it is NOT rude. Those around you also have single tables so may not want to visit. If you request a table for two, a stranger will not be seated with you. Happy sailing!

• Like 1

I am taking a "memorial" Atlantic Crossing on Cunard and prefer to dine alone (I have a confirmed table for two). I realize another solo might be seated with me--but I can handle that.

My question is: if I am dining alone would it be acceptable if I were to read while dining? I've cruised quite a bit but not on Cunard (and never alone), and I accept that this line has protocols other may not.

Thank you.

Basically, you've paid for your table for 2. If you wish to read a book/kindle/magazine by all means do so. If you do not want to "share" your table, again do so! Just let the Maître D know you wish to dine solo. They will not have more pax than tables, so your choices should not be a problem. Enjoy your cruise & pleasantly reflect back on fond memories.

• Like 1

Our TA has dined alone in Britannia. He sometimes does some work on his smart phone and no one seems to mind. I've had lunch alone and worked on puzzles and no one gave me the evil eye, at least as far as I could see.

• Like 1

Surely there's nothing "wrong" with dining alone at a table for two? Indeed, it's "right" enough that I remember more than a few passengers on that exemplar of proper ocean liner travel.. S/S FRANCE... doing just that in the First Class dining room. And reading, too, at any meal. We too often assume people who travel alone are... lonely... when in fact many are quite content with their own company and where else better to enjoy that than in a proper setting like an ocean liner dining room? I'd rather chat with the staff than engage in endless small talk at a succession of "open sitting" tables and last time I cruised alone (Holland America's EURODAM) I was happy to alternate between a table for one and a group table. I opted, mainly because I like the food, to "dine" in the lido one evening for their Dutch/German menu and found myself at a table for one and the Captain, also, alone, at the adjoining table.

• Like 1

Why not?

Lunch is more casual, dinner is more formal.

But I have found over the years cruising with Cunard the American males are not to keen on formality, but their ladies love it, and the men, in the main do not.:rolleyes:

But I have found over the years cruising with Cunard the American males are not to keen on formality, but their ladies love it, and the men, in the main do not.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't understand your logic. :confused:

• Like 1

What does formality have to do with reading alone at one's table? Is it more formal to stare blankly at other passengers while they dine with companions?

What does your generalization of American males have to do with anything?

• Like 1

You have lost me too. On board ship (as a solo) I personally always go for a table of 8.

On land, when I travel alone, I would always take some form of reading material along with me when I dine, whether it be a very formal or more casual restaurant.

• Like 1

I think if dining alone, as in being the only one at a table, I would be very comfortable reading my Kindle or a book, perhaps not a newspaper because of the space it takes.

And I have seen this done on dozens and dozens of occasions.

• Like 1

Have you ever eaten in a restaurant on your own ? As in you are the only person sitting at your table ?

This will be my last comment on this subject, I think it all boils down to what we think the correct etiquette is when having dinner?:rolleyes:

This will be my last comment on this subject, I think it all boils down to what we think the correct etiquette is when having dinner?:rolleyes:

Judging by you answer it seems to me you are confusing correct etiquette when dining alone as opposed to being alone at a table with others (they are not the same thing).

If I found myself alone, but sharing with others then clearly no, I'd not get my newspaper/book/whatever out and read it - that would be very rude.

But what are you supposed to do if sitting on a table all alone ? Sit and stare into space ?

• Like 1

Guest ccpm
But what are you supposed to do if sitting on a table all alone ? Sit and stare into space ?

Precisely. I tend always to eat alone and for my first solo cruise sat staring aimlessly into space for nearly 2 hours. I felt awkward and unhappy. Since then I have my kindle and read unless eating or others speak to me. Rather that then sit there again for 2 hours feeling hateful.

Dining at a table for one...

Reading a book, that seems to meet with general approval. A Kindle too. Doing puzzles also.

What about ...

Using a lap top at dinner?

Having a phone conversation at dinner?

Views please.

MM

I've often seen people reading as they dine alone aboard ships and on land. In nice restaurants.

In my mind the prime considerations are respecting others' space and hearing.

- reading a book or tablet, sure.

- doing a puzzle on said book or tablet, okay

- reading a newspaper - recommended only for those who can master the origami of unobtrusive newspaper management in a confined space. (Test - if you can read a paper while standing on a crowded subway train, you pass)

- doing a crossword puzzle on that newspaper - only if there is no sprawl. Preferably the newspaper should be folded to the puzzle page in advance and kept there.

- using a laptop - again, sprawl. It's not a desk. If you need to rearrange the table setting, it's too much.

- phone conversation - NO - rude and noise intrusion

- game or app with sound - NO for the same reasons

- headphones - NO rude and antisocial.

...also fine - Daily Programme planning, trivia sheet completion, letter writing, needlework, and other quiet, confined pastimes.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

I completely agree with no laptop, definitely no telephone conversations, no music, headphones etc but personally I think sewing/knitting inappropriate as well, if nothing else, because of the risk of it becoming stained with food.

• Like 1