Overpowering perfume and cologne.

Anyone else have an issue at any RSSC dining venue...when someone sits near to you...reeking of perfume or cologne? Do you just sit there and not taste your food? Move to another table? Just leave? What if it is the server who overdosed on the smelly stuff? This may seem trivial to some, and please don’t bash me, but this happens quite often at dinner, and I truly would like some suggestions other than breathing through my sleeves. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I, too, can't tolerate perfumes/aftershaves. Normally I can detect that stuff far enough away that I can request a different table before we're even seated. If it's a crew member I would discreetly talk to the supervisor in charge of that area. Sometimes folks don't realize how overpowering these scents can be.

I, too, can't tolerate perfumes/aftershaves. Normally I can detect that stuff far enough away that I can request a different table before we're even seated. If it's a crew member I would discreetly talk to the supervisor in charge of that area. Sometimes folks don't realize how overpowering these scents can be.

I agree.

As often as it is the passengers, I find that many crew overdo the the colognes. IMO this is a relatively recent phenomenon; it is only the younger male crew members. I think that one of the causes is the current prevalence of so called "body sprays." I have never gone so far as to mention it to a supervisor, but may in the future.

J

This is an interesting subject. I thought that perfume was a thing of the past (I gave up wearing it several years ago). It is even more interesting that it is the crew that are the biggest offenders. Given that fact, I would let Regent management onboard the ship know that the wearing of cologne/perfume by the crew is creating issues. I have no doubt that Regent would ask crew member not to wear it.

If we were seated next to a passenger with heavy perfume, I would discretely ask to be seated at another table. So far, this has not been an issue.

It would be a good practice that no staff or crew member wear fragrances. On my last Regent cruise, a female crew member (who was the supervisor in that department- a lounge) wore an abundant amount of perfume. I did make a note on my final evaluation about it. I do like the idea of informing the supervisor so the "offending" crew/staff member can be contacted directly.

I agree.

As often as it is the passengers, I find that many crew overdo the the colognes. IMO this is a relatively recent phenomenon; it is only the younger male crew members. I think that one of the causes is the current prevalence of so called "body sprays." I have never gone so far as to mention it to a supervisor, but may in the future.

J

I thought I was the only one! I had to open our suite slider every time the butler left.

Several years ago we learned that many of today’s fragrances contain chemicals that can cause health risks. Back in the day, fragrance was very expensive and used sparingly because it was made from natural floral essence but today its synthetically created.

At first I missed it, but in time as my olfaction returned, I started to actually become intolerant to scent. Gradually our household products became plant based too and we noticed small health improvements which we attribute to previous allergic reactions to the chemicals

The problem for me today is that since I live a mostly scent free lifestyle, I can not tolerate being around scented people. It’s almost akin to cigarette smoking and I know that may sound extreme but it pollutes my air. If someone else can smell you, you’re wearing too much. I don’t even understand why it’s necessary. It certainly isn’t a remedy for bad hygiene

Air travel is the worst. Why does a traveller wear perfume on a plane anyway [emoji848]

Air travel is the worst. Why does a traveller wear perfume on a plane anyway [emoji848]

A few years back we were on an Areoflot flight, Moscow to Rome; woman in front, (I swear she was using one of those backpack tanks that the lawn guys strap on), started spraying clouds of perfume all over herself........(perhaps she'd been locked up in the gulags for decades and this was a 'refresher).

My Wife and I both have allergies to almost all perfumes that gives us both instant headaches and breathing is also compromised. There are many people that ware way to much perfume, you know it is two much when they walk by you and the sent does not go away for 8 minutes. We have also found many staff members with way to much perfume. We have turned away from the elevators many times because it is full of perfume with no one in it. The problem at dinner is that we will be seated and then someone is seated next to us with a gallon of perfume and we don't want the server to have to relocate us which is a hassle. We would love if they did a no perfume cruise but We doubt it will ever happen.

Not sure that there is a way to keep men and women from wearing cologne or perfume. I gave it up a long time ago but it pretty much has to be a voluntary thing (except for crew members that can be asked not to wear it).

swansong - while not a fragrance/odor, it seems that the next thing on ships is the removal of straws. On a cruise that we took last week (sister company to Regent) there were no straws on the ship except in Starbucks. What was particularly ironic about the situation is that some drinks were served in 5 ounce plastic cups. It made me wonder how many straws it would take to make 1 plastic cup. Anyway, I know this is off subject but related to how things are changing and the changes do not aways make sense.

My Wife and I both have allergies to almost all perfumes that gives us both instant headaches and breathing is also compromised. There are many people that ware way to much perfume, you know it is two much when they walk by you and the sent does not go away for 8 minutes. We have also found many staff members with way to much perfume. We have turned away from the elevators many times because it is full of perfume with no one in it. The problem at dinner is that we will be seated and then someone is seated next to us with a gallon of perfume and we don't want the server to have to relocate us which is a hassle. We would love if they did a no perfume cruise but We doubt it will ever happen.

I have allergies as well and this insures an instant headache.

Thanks to all (well almost all) who responded. It appears that most of us want others to be considerate. Hopefully swan song will never develop allergies. And BTW, I do have a great grip. Always choose kindness.

First it was cigarette smoke, now it’s perfume....get a grip...what next...smell of leather!

Actually I love the smell or leather but I don’t enjoy rude posters

The real point of this is that cruise critic is about cruising and not the personal habits or allergies of customers. We all come across issues we don’t like such as smoking, aromas of all sorts etc. but that’s life. Let’s get back to discussing Regent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The real point of this is that cruise critic is about cruising and not the personal habits or allergies of customers. We all come across issues we don’t like such as smoking, aromas of all sorts etc. but that’s life. Let’s get back to discussing Regent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greetings from South Beach, Swansong. I like your attitude. This is CruiseCritic, after all. I wear cologne, and intend to keep doing it. It is a quality product with a long history. To me. a cruise is a party on water, a festive occasion. If pax are so sensitive to such things, perhaps cruise lines should set aside scent free areas. It is done for smokers.

Mary

Although I don't want to get in the middle of an argument, it seems to me that there is not anything that one can do to prevent passengers from wearing perfume/cologne. I do understand allergies as I was allergic to grass for years which kept me out of the backyard, parks, etc. After years of allergy shots, I am not longer allergic to these things.

On the other hand, In my opinion, peanut allergies must be the the most dangerous as it can kill someone rather quickly while other allergies only cause very miserable side effects. As much as I hate to admit it (as a former smoker that hates to be around smoke) that even second hand smoke is not as dangerous as someone with a peanut allergy. Still, I do not expect Regent or other cruise lines to be able to cater to peanut allergies as well as people that are vegan, vegetarian, glucose and perfume intolerant.

I would suggest that those of you with perfume/cologne allergies to speak with an allergist and see if you can have shots to overcome the allergy as it must be horrible to attempt to keep away from everyone that wears it. In a perfect world, no one would smoke or wear perfume but since we don't live in a perfect world, I hope that there are treatments for these allergies.

Not an issue for me and I do wear perfume. Not clouds of it though. But I totally agree that it is far superior to BO. And some people have that. I would not want to have dinner with someone who has... I don't even like workmen coming to my house who have it and occasionally one does. (Most noticeably and most memorable - a tekkie who managed to make my desk chair stink for days!!)

Maybe a good argument for never sharing tables with unknowns?