Orion

roothy123

SWEET!!!

Quoting the June 7 article: Viking Orion was handed over to Viking Ocean Cruises during a ceremony today at Fincantieri's Ancona yard. The 47,800gt, 930-passenger ship is scheduled to be named June 14 in Livorno, Italy.

I'd like to note that this will be the fastest delivery to naming so far. For the other ships, it was a couple of months between taking delivery and the naming.

Wow! That's wonderful. Thanks for posting the information and link!

I love this part:

"Anna Fisher, American chemist, emergency room physician and retired NASA astronaut, will serve as the godmother during the Livorno festivities. The ship’s name was inspired by the prominent constellation and Fisher’s work on NASA’s Orion exploration vehicle project." :hearteyes:

How awesome is that! Now I'm looking forward to our cruise even more.

Now all you folks scheduled to be on the Orion in the next few months please identify any bugs so they can be fixed before my sailing in November. :p

Here’s Viking’s press release about today’s naming ceremony. Also has news about the explorers dome, a small planetarium on the upper level of the Explorers Lounge.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/vikings-fifth-ocean-ship-named-by-nasa-astronaut-dr-anna-fisher-in-italy.html

Thanks for sharing that! I found it very informative and it answered some of my questions.

I am anxious to know how much of the second level of the explorer's lounge has the planetarium experience.....that is such a peaceful quiet place to sit and read I would be sorry to see it re-purposed. I love the idea of a resident astronomer .....we struggled to find the southern cross even with the App on the phone!!!

The secret is out and Viking Orion does indeed have the most advanced 3D Planetarium in the World on board! I am very pleased to have been appointed as Resident Astronomer on this wonderful ship and look forward to delivering iconic lectures, planetarium shows and stargazing nights for all the guests. See you on board!

The secret is out and Viking Orion does indeed have the most advanced 3D Planetarium in the World on board! I am very pleased to have been appointed as Resident Astronomer on this wonderful ship and look forward to delivering iconic lectures, planetarium shows and stargazing nights for all the guests. See you on board!

AstroExeter,

We are very excited to be cruising with you. See you in Venice on August 12.

Jerry and Kris

What a wonderful addtion to Viking Orion, resident historian and now a resident astronomer with a 3D planetarium to experience!

OH MY, I do need to book a cruise on the Orion in the future.

Alll you lucky Orion cruisers, be sure to post a report.

:hearteyes:

Thank you so much, sir!

We look forward to meeting you on the Komodo & Australia Coast cruise that starts the end of November.

When cruising around South America we were disappointed that we never could get a good view of the stars (too much upper deck light on that Celebrity ship). We'd already been talking about how much we hoped to be able to successfully star gaze on this cruise. Imagine how thrilled we were to find out that YOU would be aboard along with a planetarium! Whooohoo! [insert happy dance emoji here]

Thank you, in advance, and happy sailing until then!

Kind Regards,

Karen

We are on the Orion in Feb/Mar 2019 from Auckland to Bali. The planetarium sounds like a great thing...we are looking forward to it..but does it take up the entire second story of the Explorer's Lounge? It was one of our favorite places to sit and look out, relax, and read a book. Nice peaceful quiet place with an outside deck great for taking pictures.

See you on board Tuesday in Barcelona. Looking forward to experiencing all that the ship has to offer including the very first Planetarium!