Stonehenge from Portsmouth Question

stcroixguy

In October we will be taking a cruise on Viking that includes a stop in Portsmouth. We arrive at 7:00 and depart at !:00, according to the documentation. In the pre cruise Viking had listed an excursion to Stonehenge. The excursions just came up on My Viking and that is not an option any more. Does anyone know if it is possible with a private tour (name?) to see Stonehenge in the time we will be in port?

Thanks in advance, this is an amazing group of travelers willing to share there knowledge and experiences.

In October we will be taking a cruise on Viking that includes a stop in Portsmouth. We arrive at 7:00 and depart at !:00, according to the documentation. In the pre cruise Viking had listed an excursion to Stonehenge. The excursions just came up on My Viking and that is not an option any more. Does anyone know if it is possible with a private tour (name?) to see Stonehenge in the time we will be in port?

Thanks in advance, this is an amazing group of travelers willing to share there knowledge and experiences.

Others may be able to advise you more accurately, but I would say you would be tight for time... it's about an hour and a half from Portsmouth to Stonehenge, on a good day, with no traffic problems. The day of the week that you visit will affect the traffic conditions. Good luck!

My Mother is English and family have been taking me to Stonehenge since childhood so with that preface I have to say that nowadays you can see Stonehenge just as well driving by on the road as you can from the fences around the stones. Also, last month the lot across the street was packed with tour busses and the fences all lined with crowds. Add me to the "might be tight" time wise. :cool:

St.croixguy,

Just curious, are you on the October 6, 2018 sailing of Trade Routes of the Middle Ages? We are on that cruise, and shore excursions are still not listed on My Viking Journey for me. We are in a Veranda cabin, so can't book until later that everyone else, but I am still anxious to see the final list of options.

Thanks,

Joanne

Yes we are on that cruise. We are in a DV cabin. I'm not sure why your excursions are not showing up. I'm sure they will soon. Because we are not sure of getting the excursions we want on Viking, we set up a private tour for Vigo going to Santiago de Compostela for 89eu eachand in Granada going to Alhambra for for 79eu each. My sister, (paraplugger) her husband, my wife and I already signed up but we need up to 10 people to book it, it is through Spain Day Tours.

Yes we are on that cruise. We are in a DV cabin. I'm not sure why your excursions are not showing up. I'm sure they will soon. Because we are not sure of getting the excursions we want on Viking, we set up a private tour for Vigo going to Santiago de Compostela for 89eu eachand in Granada going to Alhambra for for 79eu each. My sister, (paraplugger) her husband, my wife and I already signed up but we need up to 10 people to book it, it is through Spain Day Tours.

There is a bit of a mix-up. We are both sailing on Viking cuises that sail on Oct. 6, 2018 and both go to some of the same ports, but we don't go to Vigo. I think you are on the Iberian Explorer cruise from London to Barcelona, and we are on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, from Bergen to Barcelona. That explains why my shore excursions don't show up yet, and yours do. I just have to be patient.

We have been to the Alhambra during a land cruise of Spain two years ago. Prepare to be amazed! Have a great cruise.

HMS Warrior. Mary Rose. Portsmouth navy yard. Also Admiral Nelson's flagship Victory. Just for starters...:cool:

Decent pubs in the area too.

This makes me laugh. We paid a lot of money for a day trip from London with a guide to see Portsmouth. Arranging to see the Victory was how I got my husband to take the trip.

This makes me laugh. We paid a lot of money for a day trip from London with a guide to see Portsmouth. Arranging to see the Victory was how I got my husband to take the trip.

But did you take him to the pubs???:cool:

Depending on the day of the week your are in Portsmouth, the timing could be very tight. The M27 is usually a parking lot in the morning and you can also get traffic jams in Salisbury. On arrival Stonehenge, the stones are over a mile from the visitor centre, however they do run shuttle buses.

In Portsmouth we spent a day at the Navy Dockyard then visited one of the pubs across the road. You can also take the ferry across to Gosport. In the Dockyard HMS Warrior, HMS Victory & Marie Rose are well worth a visit.

If not into marine history they have a beach and esplanade outside the harbour entrance.