So far, pandemonium ....

kjbacon

Its 10:30am in London/Greenwich and they can’t seem to complete the disembarkation process and they are being short with those of us hoping to register or board sometime. Not off to a good start, Azamara. No one knows what’s going on.

That just adds to whatever confusion is taking place when people try to show up early. Maybe booking a day room at a hotel would’ve been a better option, and then Azamara could clear the disembarking passengers first 🤷🏻*♂️

Michael

Sorry to learn of your early discomfort, kjbacon. Long intercontinental flights are rarely the best set up for a vacation. Please trust that after you're finally onboard, Azamara's crew and ambiance will make everything better. And don't bypass the Welcome Aboard Chocolate Cake in Windows, I've seen it generate everything from smiles to swoons to seconds.

We arrived at 12.30 and walked straight to the queue for the tender. Five minutes waiting and then ten minutes later we were on board and in the cabaret lounge. Thirty minutes later we were having lunch on the sunset deck. Sadly no sun or sunset in Greenwich but everything else is fabulous.

When we boarded in Costa Rica, after a last minute change of embarkation port, we checked in in the Cabaret Lounge too. It worked very well there and we were very impressed with Azamara’s organisation of the embarkation process. They had had to change port to one 20 minutes away due to high seas and wind - they moved to a more sheltered port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The staff was confused, the port workers were confused, the past and future passengers confused and so unhappy ... a complete mess. No one knew anything and the staff contradicted one another - a rough start. We spoke with several people, most Azamara repeaters, who had never seen such pandemonium. Best to put it behind us!

To the poster who thought this was because I didn’t book a hotel for the hour or two that I was going to be early, you actually made me laugh so thank you.

We were in Greenwich yesterday to see Journey and felt sorry for the Thames Clipper staff who were clearly dealing with a challenging situation.

Greenwich Pier is not a "proper" Cruise Port, ie smaller ships can dock but there are no terminal facilities.

The Journey was tendered from the same pier that is being used by the Thames Clipper Riverboats (basically a form of Public Transport) and Tourists Boats and is busy at most times.

It has only a single - 2 lane - gangway, which had to service all these passengers plus the Azamara ones.

Also, unfortunately, due to the lay-out of the area next to the pier, there is only limited space available for queueing.

Given the nice weather, there were lots of tourists visiting Greenwich, most of whom were unfamiliar with the area - so this all added to the general confusion.

Thames Clipper staff (and Port Staff - bussed up from Southampton) had to deal with a constant stream of tourists and passengers asking questions and standing in wrong queus (the tourists mainly, we did notice the Azamara passengers were better in "sticking" to their queue area :) )

I am only mentioning this as I though I can understand the frustration and confusion encountered by those embarking on the Journey yesterday, I think it is fair to keep in mind that docking at Greenwich will always be challenging due to its limitations.

I think there are plans to build a cruise ship terminal but unclear when - and if - this will go ahead.

Lastly, can I just recommend that anyone embarking or disembarking at Greenwich takes some time to explore Greenwich itself. It is a very pretty area with loads to do & see.

No one said anything about early boarding and no, it shouldn’t require flying in two days early or booking hotels for an hour or two. Sorry, Faithfuls, Azamara dropped the ball ... big time.

They seemed to have disembarked late and were having difficulty securing taxis for those leaving for the airport and such so most of their efforts and attention was away from the luggage tent and it the street hailing cabs.

From what we gathered, Azamara changed the plan to register passengers in the tent and tender them to the ship to tender passengers to the ship and then register them. No one told anyone that though so the Azamara reps didn’t know, were frustrated, and were in the wrong place, dock workers were quite disgruntled and chain smoking ... no signs, no info, nowhere to sit, no water bottles, nothing but mass confusion. Another water taxi company was operating out of the place and no one knew who was with who, all the lines intermingled, as I said: pandemonium!!

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived at 1 30. Got on board with no delays. Had lunch and unpacked and then left ti explore Greenwich.

Missed the CC get together as met family.

Trip on Thames clipper was a bonus !!!!!! No complaints and all the staff who had been brought up from Southampton to deal with passengers were helpful anf organised. Getting off in Stockholm not so smooth today.

We arrived at 1 30. Got on board with no delays. Had lunch and unpacked and then left ti explore Greenwich.

Missed the CC get together as met family.

Trip on Thames clipper was a bonus !!!!!! No complaints and all the staff who had been brought up from Southampton to deal with passengers were helpful anf organised. Getting off in Stockholm not so smooth today.

Sorry to hear that debarking in Stockholm wasn't smooth. Can you share any particulars. We board there Aug 19.

Several queues emerged for local taxis and so while some people patiently waited their turn others just leapt in the next cab which arrived and were rude to staff who were trying to police the line fairly.