NYC experts ...

We're sailing on the Horizon on July 19. I have two choices for flights. LGA arriving 7:50 am on 7/19, departing 7:00 pm on 7/23. Or, EWR arriving 7:30 am on 7/19, departing 8:30 pm on 7/23. I'm concerned because both flights inbound and outbound will be transfers during rush hour. We will have one roller bag between us and will be dropping it at Schwartz for the day on the 23rd. NYC experts, which do you think would be the best option? We are open to using a car service or public transportation, at least to EWR.

We're sailing on the Horizon on July 19. I have two choices for flights. LGA arriving 7:50 am on 7/19, departing 7:00 pm on 7/23. Or, EWR arriving 7:30 am on 7/19, departing 8:30 pm on 7/23. I'm concerned because both flights inbound and outbound will be transfers during rush hour. We will have one roller bag between us and will be dropping it at Schwartz for the day on the 23rd. NYC experts, which do you think would be the best option? We are open to using a car service or public transportation, at least to EWR.

Your public transit option by train is to and from EWR only. You will travel on NJ Transit from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station for $13/pp each way. From the luggage claim area you take the elevator or escalator up to the free Airtrain to get to the Newark Airport Station, which has no vehicle access.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

At New York Penn Station you exit to 8th Ave to get a cab to the port.

Coming back you can walk or cab from Schwartz travel to New York Penn Station.

Actual train ride is scheduled at about 25 minutes.

Your public transit option by train is to and from EWR only. You will travel on NJ Transit from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station for $13/pp each way. From the luggage claim area you take the elevator or escalator up to the free Airtrain to get to the Newark Airport Station, which has no vehicle access.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

At New York Penn Station you exit to 8th Ave to get a cab to the port.

Coming back you can walk or cab from Schwartz travel to New York Penn Station.

Actual train ride is scheduled at about 25 minutes.

Thanks for the response. We are going with EWR instead of LGA. Now deciding if we want to do car service or deal with rush hour crowds on the NJ transit.

Where will you be staying in NY?

In general, I'd never want to deal with cruise luggage on most mass transit, especially with kids. However, I assume there's a baggage area at the end of the train cars for the EWR train, and if you're staying right near Penn Station, it might be more do-able.

Personally, I find car service to be unbeatable for NY transfers to/from airports and piers. We visit annually and use Dial7 (dial7.com 800-777-7777) and others prefer Carmel (carmellimo.com 866-666-6666).

Thanks for the response. We are going with EWR instead of LGA. Now deciding if we want to do car service or deal with rush hour crowds on the NJ transit.

If your flight gets in at 7:30 am, you will be on the tail end of rush hour by the time you collect your luggage, use the rest rooms, get some coffee, etc. Many folks will get off the train at Newark to take PATH, so it will empty out and you will stay on. Put on your patience and let all the commuters rush to get off the train at NY Penn, which is the last stop. Outbound the train originates at NY Penn. You can Board as soon as the gate is posted. Many commuters will arrive at the last possible moment.

These are real trains with lots of seats.

I am leaning towards using a car service. In rush hour traffic, would allowing an hour commute time seem reasonable? So for a flight departing EWR at 8:30 pm, when do you think I should schedule the car? We will be leaving from Schwartz Luggage Storage on W 37th. I'm not so concerned about the arrival for the cruise, since we will have plenty of time with our early arrival at 7:30 am.

One hour would be the minimum, DH commuted to NYC for 15 years, 10 miles, average was an hour.

One hour travel time but don’t forget that’s the time of day the European bound flights start going out. So there will be the regular rush hour traffic and then at EWR extra traffic. Once you arrive you still need to check your luggage and go thru security. I would suggest 5:30 for the 8:30 flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums