Balcony or Aqua/Concierge Class? Summit

Steelers0854

DW and I are very excited to have booked our very first Celebrity Cruise. We have wanted to try Celebrity for a while and after falling in love with San Juan a couple of weeks ago we found a great cruise next November on the Summit.

We always stay in a balcony and have never stayed in anything above one. Since we have never been on Celebrity we don’t know the value for the money to move up. Concierge is about $200pp more and aqua class a little over $300pp more.

Thanks for all your insight!

Depends on where you like to be on the ship. Aqua class rooms (A2) are under the pool/spa/restaurant, or (A1) on 11 aft (which is where my wife and i have stayed twice). I think the rooms are about the same size (Aqua may be slightly bigger). On the Summit, the big advantage is the Blu restaurant. We think it is a good upgrade over the MDR, and worth the extra money (versus paying extra for the specialty restuarants). Aqua class also has unlimited access to the Persian Gardens, which on the Summit seem to be nothing too special because it is a pretty small area (but if you like a steam room, cool mist room, etc., is probably still OK). Either way, the Summit is a great ship. Enjoy.

The Concierge Class and Aqua class rooms are about 20sq. ft. larger than standard verandahs. Both give you 2 more captains club points per night than verandah, but since this is only your first cruise with X that's probably not an enticement. Both give you a bottle of bubbly (used to be waiting in your room, but now ask for it when you want it), afternoon delivery of savories, upgraded bathroom amenities and shower gel. Concierge gives you an upgraded shower head, Aqua gives you additional wall shower jets in addition to a rain shower head. Both give you upgraded bedding and pillow menu and plush robes to use during your cruise. Aqua gives slippers as well. You will get a tote bag, used to be heavy canvas with a zip top but it's been changed since December when we sailed last as well as a seapass cardholder. Both give use of umbrella and binoculars. Both give priority embarkation where available. Concierge class gives you an embarkation luncheon in the MDR which is nice since you don't have to fight the crowds in the Ocean View Café (buffet) and drag your carry on luggage around. On departure day you have a lounge with continental breakfast. You also have the concierge available (but in actuality the concierge will help all passengers although few folks realize it). Aqua class used to get unlimited bottled water, but now there are only 2 bottles in your room the first day. There will also be 2 bottles of Evian in your room. They are for sale and not part of the Aqua class benefits. There will be daily delivery of flavored tea in the afternoon. Aqua has unlimited access to the Persian Garden. The biggest benefit of Aqua is Blu, a restaurant for your dining. The food is good, the service is much more attentive than in the MDR because of its smaller size. (There is nothing wrong with the MDR service, Blu is just better.) If the differential is $100 per person over Concierge, I'd advise going with Aqua. The dining in Blu doesn't require reservations and you may dine when you want. You will be given a time (you'll find a card in your room from the maître d of Blu upon embarkation) but if it's not what you like, you may go at your leisure. They only try to do that to stagger people and make the first day run more smoothly. The specialty restaurants often offer 50% off the first evening to Blu patrons as well.

The Summit is a very nice ship that is more of the old tradional type. It has been upgraded in the last few years to include the AQ class cabins and Blu restaurant. Some of the CC cabins were converted to AQ for this. Then lately like all ships Luminae was added for the suites guests. Both took space from the MDR.

The balconies are very narrow. In the new ships footstools are on the balconies for CC and AQ but there isn’t enough room for them on the M classes (Summit)

Basically the best perk Blu for breakfast and dinner.

Wouldn’t upgrade to CC over a veranda as the perks don’t amount to much and are mostly fluff. The priorities are a joke as almost everyone has them.

$300 more pp for a 7 day cruise for AQ is way too much. That is over $40/day/pp. We normally sailed in AQ but recently have been doing a varanda because the price difference was getting over $30/day pp. We have found that the MDR for breakfast was just as good if not better. It offered the same juices and pastries and more selections on the menu and service just as good. The MDR for dinner was always great. We always were able to get a table for two for both breakfast and dinner so it wasn’t that much different than in Blu.

We would also choose AQ because included two perks instead of one or none in the varanda.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• 3 months later...
The Concierge Class and Aqua class rooms are about 20sq. ft. larger than standard verandahs. Both give you 2 more captains club points per night than verandah, but since this is only your first cruise with X that's probably not an enticement. Both give you a bottle of bubbly (used to be waiting in your room, but now ask for it when you want it), afternoon delivery of savories, upgraded bathroom amenities and shower gel. Concierge gives you an upgraded shower head, Aqua gives you additional wall shower jets in addition to a rain shower head. Both give you upgraded bedding and pillow menu and plush robes to use during your cruise. Aqua gives slippers as well. You will get a tote bag, used to be heavy canvas with a zip top but it's been changed since December when we sailed last as well as a seapass cardholder. Both give use of umbrella and binoculars. Both give priority embarkation where available. Concierge class gives you an embarkation luncheon in the MDR which is nice since you don't have to fight the crowds in the Ocean View Café (buffet) and drag your carry on luggage around. On departure day you have a lounge with continental breakfast. You also have the concierge available (but in actuality the concierge will help all passengers although few folks realize it). Aqua class used to get unlimited bottled water, but now there are only 2 bottles in your room the first day. There will also be 2 bottles of Evian in your room. They are for sale and not part of the Aqua class benefits. There will be daily delivery of flavored tea in the afternoon. Aqua has unlimited access to the Persian Garden. The biggest benefit of Aqua is Blu, a restaurant for your dining. The food is good, the service is much more attentive than in the MDR because of its smaller size. (There is nothing wrong with the MDR service, Blu is just better.) If the differential is $100 per person over Concierge, I'd advise going with Aqua. The dining in Blu doesn't require reservations and you may dine when you want. You will be given a time (you'll find a card in your room from the maître d of Blu upon embarkation) but if it's not what you like, you may go at your leisure. They only try to do that to stagger people and make the first day run more smoothly. The specialty restaurants often offer 50% off the first evening to Blu patrons as well.

Just want to verify - we moved from a Concierge to an A1 Aqua Suite since I did not pay extra. So we still get the champagne and afternoon savories? So basically same benefits as Concierge with the ability to also go to Blu? We don't care about the spa, but hubby will like Blu I think.

Just want to verify - we moved from a Concierge to an A1 Aqua Suite since I did not pay extra. So we still get the champagne and afternoon savories? So basically same benefits as Concierge with the ability to also go to Blu? We don't care about the spa, but hubby will like Blu I think.

Yes.

Not Champagne. Sparkling wine is offered.

Yes. We trade the bottle of bubbly for a bottle of prosecco. We also asked for a fruit or cheese plate instead of the savories. My DH was skeptical about whether he'd like Blu with the description of it's cuisine as "clean." He loved it especially since he could get his escargot! The Breakfast in Blu was wonderful as well and a lovely way to start the day. Have a great trip.

No one else has mentioned that CC and Aqua earn 5 Captains Club points per night vs 3 for a regular veranda. Not a big deal for a first cruise but picking up those extra points over the years got us to Elite two cruises quicker. On the M class ships I do like the extra space that CC and Aqua cabins have.

No one else has mentioned that CC and Aqua earn 5 Captains Club points per night vs 3 for a regular veranda. Not a big deal for a first cruise but picking up those extra points over the years got us to Elite two cruises quicker. On the M class ships I do like the extra space that CC and Aqua cabins have.

I did mention that in my post quoted below, but never hurts to reinforce:). We got to Elite quicker that way too.:D

Yes. We trade the bottle of bubbly for a bottle of prosecco. We also asked for a fruit or cheese plate instead of the savories. My DH was skeptical about whether he'd like Blu with the description of it's cuisine as "clean." He loved it especially since he could get his escargot! The Breakfast in Blu was wonderful as well and a lovely way to start the day. Have a great trip.

ok thanks. I will enjoy the bubbly but I like asking for cheese/crackers instead of some of the savories. I also think hubby will like Blu.

DW and I are very excited to have booked our very first Celebrity Cruise. We have wanted to try Celebrity for a while and after falling in love with San Juan a couple of weeks ago we found a great cruise next November on the Summit.

We always stay in a balcony and have never stayed in anything above one. Since we have never been on Celebrity we don’t know the value for the money to move up. Concierge is about $200pp more and aqua class a little over $300pp more.

Price is the big question. To me the concierge perks are not really worth much. On M class ships concierge cabins are maybe twenty sq ft larger. On S class not so regular Verandah abundance concierge/ Aqua are the same size.

Blue is nice but the same three hundred buys you 6,7 possibly 8 dinners in a specialty restaurant which imho would trump Blu.

Ultimately it’s your choice where you want to spend your $$.

Only thing you do not get is the Concierge embarkation luncheon in the MDR.

See comments in red.

DW and I are very excited to have booked our very first Celebrity Cruise. We have wanted to try Celebrity for a while and after falling in love with San Juan a couple of weeks ago we found a great cruise next November on the Summit. San Juan, PR is my favorite port and when it's possible, I stay for several days, either pre- or post-cruise.

We always stay in a balcony and have never stayed in anything above one. Since we have never been on Celebrity we don’t know the value for the money to move up. Concierge is about $200pp more and aqua class a little over $300pp more. The itineraries in November all all 7 days in duration. To me, the cost to upgrade is not worth it in my opinion. The food on Celebrity is really quite good and service in the MDR has generally been very good. If the cost to upgrade to Concierge or Aqua were less, I would consider it. If you think that $300/pp to upgrade to Aqua is an easy stretch for your budget, then I would recommend doing it as the experience to dine in Blu is really nice.

Thus far, unless prices drop we are sticking with the veranda. It seems like Aqua class is really the one worth looking at the most, so we will see if prices fall as we get closer to sail date.

Thanks for everyone’s input thus far!

I would wait for a price drop too. We budget $200 per person, per week, for Aqua. Probably won't get it often outside of a repo, or a last minute price drop, but we'll enjoy it when we can. I figure you can book a dining package for $35 a night, which is a fair target for Aqua.

I would upgrade to Concierge for $100, worth the nicer room, increased loyalty points, and embarcation lunch in the MDR.

Price is the big question. To me the concierge perks are not really worth much. On M class ships concierge cabins are maybe twenty sq ft larger. On S class not so regular Verandah abundance concierge/ Aqua are the same size.

Blue is nice but the same three hundred buys you 6,7 possibly 8 dinners in a specialty restaurant which imho would trump Blu.

Ultimately it’s your choice where you want to spend your $$.

In my point of view, planning to utilize specialty dining, wouldn't work as well when sailing on the Summit as the number of restaurants are limited . For us, we like Tuscan Grill, but don't eat sushi so Sushi on 5 is out and I believe Qusine is La Petit Chef which I think we may not like. So for 12 night sailing we have opted to pay more for Blu. Really wish Summit had Murano!