Summit Diverting For Medical Evac

njaloha

Currently on Summit and I noticed we changed course when I saw ncl breakaway off our starboard beam perpendicular to us. We sped up, wind increased and heard from Captain.

Diverting closer to shore for medical evacuation of crew member.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are in the middle between NY and Bermuda, I think will better a Helicopter for the evacuation.

Ships normally turn towards where the Helo will be coming from in order to reduce the distance the Helo has to fly and the time it will take for them to close on each other. Helos are pretty slow vehicles and do not have huge range capabilities, so the ship turns and speeds up to reduce the distance.

Den

Exactly. we seem to be headed north west straight for Atlantic City. Many Coast Guard stations along Atlantic Coast. Cape Henlopen for one. Atlantic City for another. Cape May too

I know this is probably a silly question, and the main concern is getting medical treatment for the patient, but I'm wondering who pays for the medical evacuation of a crew member? I know that a lot of us have insurance to cover medical evacuation and treatment for ourselves, but I'm wondering about the crew. I certainly hope that Celebrity steps up to the plate and covers all expenses for the crew member.

Marine Traffic shows the last position update for the Summit was 1 hours ago. :(

Why did the Summit and NCL Escape get so close to each other? That position 14 hours ago shows them right next to each ther.

They have always done that for safety purposes, I remember years ago going to Bermuda with three ships like a parade.

Looks like Summit is heading to Atlantic City, Coast Guard Station and Trauma Center.

The CG aircraft is probably the cntrol/safety A/C. It tracks the ship and the Helo to insure they meet up and acts as an overhead watch Incase there are issues with the Helo, or the weather.

Been there, done that, but in Navy situations.

Den

That’s the HH-65. Has a max speed of about 200Kts (230mph) and max range of 400 mi. For this long range flt, it probably flew at about 150mph max. Great Helo.

Den

Thanks for the info. Certainly not the way I would want to see that helicopter. Patient picked yoo with our incident. Helicopter actually landed on the helipad.104fffe76486ac8824d6f1cc0325aab3.jpg

I pray that the crew member recovers easily.

Same here. I spoke to the guest relations crew member at the entrance to Revelations lounge and mentioned that I hoped the ill crewmember would be ok and that we would be praying for him/her.

similar thing happened on our Solstice Cruise in Australia March / April.... we were advised by Liam the crew director one night that the ship will be slowing down due to a passenger needing a medical evacuation by helicopter... then about an hour later said the evacuation would be happening the next day.

The helicopter circled the ship once before landing and successfully evacuating the passenger

similar thing happened on our Solstice Cruise in Australia March / April.... we were advised by Liam the crew director one night that the ship will be slowing down due to a passenger needing a medical evacuation by helicopter... then about an hour later said the evacuation would be happening the next day.

The helicopter circled the ship once before landing and successfully evacuating the passenger

In fact there were two helicopters involved in the medevac if the instance you are referring to was just off the entrance to Milford Sound. Both helicopters came from Dunedin, possibly refuelled in Milford for a direct flight back to Dunedin Hospital. I understand the patient recovered okay.

The cost of a helicopter medevac can cost many thousands of dollars and is a great reason alone to have adequate travel insurance as one never knows when a medical misadventure may occur

In fact there were two helicopters involved in the medevac if the instance you are referring to was just off the entrance to Milford Sound. Both helicopters came from Dunedin, possibly refuelled in Milford for a direct flight back to Dunedin Hospital. I understand the patient recovered okay.

The cost of a helicopter medevac can cost many thousands of dollars and is a great reason alone to have adequate travel insurance as one never knows when a medical misadventure may occur

The one I am referring to happened off the Queensland Coast... it did not affect the cruise or anything and was handled surperbly by the captain...

I know one happened 2-3 weeks before our cruise where Solstice had left Melbourne bound for Milford Sound but had to turn around and go back to Melborne for a medical emergency - because they were too far out at sea for a Helicopter to reach... the Captain then had to abort the planned trip to the Sounds and this apparently angered many passengers who had paid to go on the cruise specifically to see the Sounds in Fiordland NZ