Summit Review: Penthouse Cruisers Try Aqua Class

BunnyLebowski

Note: This was my subjective experience. Please don’t flame me if my experience was different from yours or what you would expect yours to be.

Our family of four has been very fortunate to have done most of our cruising (5 sailings) in M-class Penthouse Suites. This changed in August. We wanted a last-minute Bermuda getaway, and snagged 2 adjacent Aqua class staterooms on the Celebrity Summit without any “perks” for a very reasonable price. We had an amazing time and would happily sail in Aqua class again.

We are two professional adults in our early-mid 40’s and our 2 teenage sons.

Cabins- 9114 and 9116. These starboard cabins have a large overhang which is perfect for us as it meant plenty of shade for our pasty, burn-prone skin. No noise whatsoever from above (I think it’s the buffet?). The cabin attendant was a doll, kept us in ice and accommodated our erratic schedules.

Cabin 9114 Balcony

a86a90dbbb69b23bff3ff3793048064f.jpg

The upkeep of the cabin’s interior furnishings was pretty poor. I worked in high-end interior design prior to going to law school, so I notice details. There were tears in the bedskirts, stains on the sofas, rust on the balconies, worn bathroom grout and tile, etc. Had we been in a PH and I saw the same flaws I would have been upset given the premium paid for the cabin. Did it bother us on this trip? Not a bit. We felt like we got a great price for a nice trip, and just went with the flow. A very relaxed way to experience things.

I missed having a private space large enough to accommodate the 4 of us at the same time. Would get connecting cabins if we sail in non-suite accommodations in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service- I very much enjoyed not having to manage a butler, concierge, staff, etc. When staying in a PH the entire staff is so deeply invested in your satisfaction that unobtrusive service is basically impossible.

As Aqua passengers we were unmonitored and incognito. We just happily did our own thing. One day we never left the ship, and no one on the staff mentioned it out of concern that we were unhappy about something.

Blu/Dining Room was delightful. Our teens were the only children there. I enjoy Luminae, but honestly Blu is just about as nice and was a welcome change. The food is not quite as upscale, but it was just as tasty and no one went hungry. I sent one pasta dish back the first night (I almost never do this) but that was the only misstep. Again, we enjoyed the anonymity of the cabins we were in.

Our waiter was actually a bit rude and brusque, demanding we order quickly every night. We found it funny and endeavored to please him. Again, it was a fun contrast to the fawning staff in Luminae who can be painfully and uncomfortably eager to please.

Room Service- We never once made it to breakfast in Blu, at the buffet or the morning elite coffee house. DH and I just have coffee in the morning and we always got it from the buffet on our way to the pool.

The boys ordered room service every morning and were very happy with it. They would place an order the night before, then something similar to what they asked for would arrive at the correct time the next morning. It was never exactly what they selected on the menu card, but we found it funny and a bit of a fun surprise to see what would show up. I don’t think we ordered any non-breakfast foods, so can’t speak to that.

Sommelier- We had 2 cabins so were able to bring 4 of our favorite and hard-to-obtain wines aboard and had them opened at dinner. The sommelier wasn’t too interested in us because of this. I guess he figured he wasn’t going to sell us much additional wine (wrong) so he mostly ignored us. We offered for him to taste the rare ones, but he wasn’t familiar with them and didn’t take us up on the offer. He seemed interested the one night we were drinking Whispering Angel 🤷*♀️

Buffet- What a delight! We have not visited this part of the ship much in the past, but this week we ate lunch there every day. Was extremely impressed with the variety which changed daily.

I liked getting a big salad and adding various veggies and protein, usually from the Asian section, but also from the carving station, or from the daily theme section. None of us got the grilled to order salmon, steaks or burgers, although we probably should have tried this at least once.

My kids loved the pizza and ice cream (we were already very familiar with these offerings). We got the burgers by the pool several times and they were a big hit.

The only complaint I can think of is that most of the offerings were inexpensive, breaded, carb-heavy and cooked in lots of in low quality vegetable oil. But it was always possible to find healthier whole-food options. I would have happily had dinner in the buffet one or two nights, but the guys preferred being served in Blu.

Drink Package- For the first time we didn’t have one. We were nervous about this but it somehow worked out better??? Turns out it’s super convenient to get coffee and tea from the buffet. No lines or waiting unlike in al bacio. And the quality of both was just fine. Top-of-the line? No....but drinkable and we were very happy.

We all drank the filtered water from those blue plastic buffet cups. Same deal, no lines, no waiting, no disposable plastic bottles, tasted absolutely fine. I drank some unsweetened ice tea and my older son liked the lemonade from the dispensers. The kids had very nice looking chocolate milk at dinner which apparently is included for everyone.

Without the constraints of a package I found myself ordering the flight at the martini bar and other fun items not covered by a drink package. At other bars, we just paid for our drinks as we went. Again no big deal. I brought a case of Diet Coke and a case of la croix onboard and we put these in the mini fridge in the cabins. Very convenient.

604a5faae6c870b06e5a431309b07981.jpg

6084efe9d878bbd2c94b88a84e9c3748.jpg

c716797a75f4a78acb490ed19ae7be8e.jpg

Thank your for the interesting review. I think that it answers very well the question of "what are the intangibles that come with a PH" that is often asked but is difficult to answer.

I am so glad that you had a great, last-minute cruise but it was your positive approach that made it so. Not everyone could make the adjustment as well, just as some would be uncomfortable with the PH experience. I think that your children are a great credit to you being so adult in their adjustment.

I hope that I can remember this thread next time a Cruise Critic member asks about the PH experience.

I'm LOVING your review. We'll never be in a PH, but are taking our first (sky) suite cruise next year, having worked our way from inside to outside to balcony to concierge to AQ over the past 40+ years.

One thing I'm curious about - I mentioned once that we ran into an old Blu M'd in a different capacity on a different ship, and he recognized us right away - I was laughed at on this board that he would "remember" us, because didn't I "know" that all crew gets to see all 2,000 pictures of who is coming on board, blah, blah and that's how they know who to look out for. I thought that sounded ridiculous. But if it's true, as former PH guests, I would have thought that info would have followed you on board and you would have been afforded some sort of past-VIP treatment?

Anyway, really looking forward to more of your refreshing and grounded perspective.

Drink Package- For the first time we didn’t have one. We were nervous about this but it somehow worked out better??? Turns out it’s super convenient to get coffee and tea from the buffet. No lines or waiting unlike in al bacio. And the quality of both was just fine. Top-of-the line? No....but drinkable and we were very happy.

We all drank the filtered water from those blue plastic buffet cups. Same deal, no lines, no waiting, no disposable plastic bottles, tasted absolutely fine. I drank some unsweetened ice tea and my older son liked the lemonade from the dispensers. The kids had very nice looking chocolate milk at dinner which apparently is included for everyone.

Without the constraints of a package I found myself ordering the flight at the martini bar and other fun items not covered by a drink package. At other bars, we just paid for our drinks as we went. Again no big deal. I brought a case of Diet Coke and a case of la croix onboard and we put these in the mini fridge in the cabins. Very convenient.

604a5faae6c870b06e5a431309b07981.jpg

6084efe9d878bbd2c94b88a84e9c3748.jpg

c716797a75f4a78acb490ed19ae7be8e.jpg

Is this Kadet. At martini bar /

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoying your post!

As regular RS/PH cruisers we do find that we can be ‘monitored’....usually a few days into the cruise we are approached by our butler, the Luminae M’D and others about some of our dining habits! They will check we know...

‘you can order room service’

‘Luminae is open for lunch on sea days’

‘You know you have a premium drinks package’ (caught red handed drinking that free lemonade in a blue glass in the buffet).

We take these queries as what they are, genuine concerns that we may not be aware of some of the options open to us.

The simple fact is cruising in a higher level suite doesn’t mean you have to miss all the general ‘goodies’ around the ship!

For example, breakfasts....We like to go to the buffet sometimes and ‘browse’. We are healthy breakfast eaters at home and enjoy the guilty pleasure of once or twice per cruise having a bit of everything on a plate! We are also fussy bacon eaters, has to be really well done and crispy, much better if I just want a bacon sandwich for breakfast to go and choose it myself and bring it back to the balcony to enjoy than be disappointed by limp room service rashers!

Re lunchtime, we do again enjoy that ‘browse’. Some lunchtimes we just want a simple soup or a sandwich. We don’t want a big Luminae lunch or a full order from room service. Then other days we will enjoy an Indian meal...

We love the perks and service that come with a suite but they don’t make up our full pleasurable cruise experience!

Like yourselves, I think the biggest thing we would miss returning to balcony cabins would be that family living space....

I have sailed in both the penthouse and aqua class on M class ships. Both were a good experience, although you can't beat that kitchen and deck in the penthouse!

The monitoring you mention when you're in the penthouse is really something. One day I decided I wanted some stationery and envelopes to write thank you notes to the crew with their extra tips. I'm pretty self sufficient and simply went to guest relations to get some. Way easier than calling the butler and waiting for it. There were all of two people in line in front of me. Big deal. A junior officer came rushing out and grabbed me out of the line and wanted to know what I wanted. Very embarrassing.

Thank your for the interesting review. I think that it answers very well the question of "what are the intangibles that come with a PH" that is often asked but is difficult to answer.

I am so glad that you had a great, last-minute cruise but it was your positive approach that made it so. Not everyone could make the adjustment as well, just as some would be uncomfortable with the PH experience. I think that your children are a great credit to you being so adult in their adjustment.

I hope that I can remember this thread next time a Cruise Critic member asks about the PH experience.

Thank you for your kind words. As in life, attitude is everything, and it helps to keep things in perspective.

One thing I'm curious about - I mentioned once that we ran into an old Blu M'd in a different capacity on a different ship, and he recognized us right away - I was laughed at on this board that he would "remember" us, because didn't I "know" that all crew gets to see all 2,000 pictures of who is coming on board, blah, blah and that's how they know who to look out for. I thought that sounded ridiculous. But if it's true, as former PH guests, I would have thought that info would have followed you on board and you would have been afforded some sort of past-VIP treatment?

I have to admit I assumed so also! Not so much that we would be treated differently than other Aqua class passengers, but...I don’t know it just seems like that’s maybe important info for management to share with the staff to make sure we don’t receive substandard service (which maybe we did a little at times) and cancel upcoming sailings.

Am guessing they have their hands full tending to the top suite cruisers currently onboard.

Luckily for everyone we LOVED our anonymity. If we encounter rudeness we whispered obnoxious things to one another such as “no one knows who we are, isn’t it great?” [emoji23]

I’m in awe of how well all the staff remember people. Bartenders particularly amaze me.

Wonderful review. Thank you! Did you carry your soda on in a separate suitcase or check it?

Thank you! We put the sodas in a duffel bag with a luggage tag and checked it at the pier. We carried the wine on ourselves, though.

Enjoying your post!

As regular RS/PH cruisers we do find that we can be ‘monitored’....usually a few days into the cruise we are approached by our butler, the Luminae M’D and others about some of our dining habits! They will check we know...

‘you can order room service’

‘Luminae is open for lunch on sea days’

‘You know you have a premium drinks package’ (caught red handed drinking that free lemonade in a blue glass in the buffet).

We take these queries as what they are, genuine concerns that we may not be aware of some of the options open to us.

The simple fact is cruising in a higher level suite doesn’t mean you have to miss all the general ‘goodies’ around the ship!

For example, breakfasts....We like to go to the buffet sometimes and ‘browse’. We are healthy breakfast eaters at home and enjoy the guilty pleasure of once or twice per cruise having a bit of everything on a plate! We are also fussy bacon eaters, has to be really well done and crispy, much better if I just want a bacon sandwich for breakfast to go and choose it myself and bring it back to the balcony to enjoy than be disappointed by limp room service rashers!

Re lunchtime, we do again enjoy that ‘browse’. Some lunchtimes we just want a simple soup or a sandwich. We don’t want a big Luminae lunch or a full order from room service. Then other days we will enjoy an Indian meal...

We love the perks and service that come with a suite but they don’t make up our full pleasurable cruise experience!

Like yourselves, I think the biggest thing we would miss returning to balcony cabins would be that family living space....

Thanks! Yes, you describe exactly the “monitoring” that seems to happen.

I have to admit we rarely hit the buffet because it seems to personally offend the butler when we do. I clearly need to just get over it and enjoy myself. The Indian food was AMAZING. I had at least a taste every day since it’s not something we can easily get at home.

Will take a cue from you and spend more time throughout the ship regardless of our cabin. Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s quite helpful.

Love your review. Agree with most. We loved the cruises we took in the PH and usually book RS. We are sure that the issues you found with the tears, etc, in your room will be taken care of with the $5MM redo of the fleet. Glad you enjoyed your cruise !!!'

/

Agree 100% Can’t wait to see the “new ship”!

I have sailed in both the penthouse and aqua class on M class ships. Both were a good experience, although you can't beat that kitchen and deck in the penthouse!

The monitoring you mention when you're in the penthouse is really something. One day I decided I wanted some stationery and envelopes to write thank you notes to the crew with their extra tips. I'm pretty self sufficient and simply went to guest relations to get some. Way easier than calling the butler and waiting for it. There were all of two people in line in front of me. Big deal. A junior officer came rushing out and grabbed me out of the line and wanted to know what I wanted. Very embarrassing.

Agreed, we missed the kitchen and particularly the deck. That really is a very special space.

As for the monitoring, the poor staff really can’t win in this situation. I was once surprised to be sent to the guest relations desk by the Michael’s Club person when trying to sort out the additional tips I was trying to distribute. Wasn’t accompanied, then was irritated to be waiting in a long line. I would have been thrilled to have a junior officer attend to the matter straight away, but the same experience caused you embarrassment. It’s impossible to please everyone and they are really trying very hard to do so.

Great review, I'm with you does a little rust or a ripped bed skirt make or break my cruise. In one word Never. Its the people and staff I meet.

Norma

Exactly! Except I must admit to not feeling so generous about flaws in the PH. That space really shouldn’t have that type of problem. Context is everything, it seems.

Elite Cocktail Hour- We have elite status even though we have only done a handful of cruises because of how the point system works with suites. We discovered the Elite cocktail hour on the last few nights. Another delightful surprise!

Our sons declined to join us at this event (no teenager wants to go to the bar with their parents) but we saw a well behaved toddler each time we went.

It was never crowded when we were there, and was fun to try the old-timey cocktails that were included. That was really plenty of alcohol for us. Combined with the wines we opened at dinner, and a nightcap here and there, that pretty much put us over the top in terms of drinking. Our bar bill was pretty reasonable at the end of the trip.

Turns out we didn’t miss the beverage package at all.

Pool-my younger son loves the pool so I took him daily. When we’re in the PH and I can’t easily find a spot by the pool to keep an eye on my kids, I admit to feeling irritated. It’s all about expectations, and this trip I was a lot more laid back.

So many chair hogs this time. On the 1st day, the pool butlers we’re removing towels there to “save seats” an leaving a little card on chairs that had been empty for a while. I didn’t see that at the end, but it was good initial effort.

fa564be2da6c1a7162fa43eac5e45eee.jpg

I always found a lounger in the shade near the pool. Sometimes the chairs were covered in towels (ie being hogged) but I just jettisoned the towels and claimed the chairs for us for the hour or so we were there. No one confronted me, and I cleared the loungers when we were done.

A nice touch on sea days was that the bartenders would walk around the pool area with a tray of appropriate drinks (Bloody Marys in the late morning, rum punch in the afternoon, etc.) The glasses were mostly filled with mixer, and the server had a bottle of vodka or rum in one hand to “finish” the cocktail if you take one. Such a nice touch. It was always either a little early for me to partake, or the drink had more sugar in it than I wanted. Still the idea is a solid one and I could see personally enjoying this a lot given slightly different circumstances.

Entertainment- we didn’t go to a single production show, and no one on the staff noticed or mentioned it. DH and I did some dancing most nights, enjoyed some karaoke, made friends at the martini bar, etc. We were never bored. The entertainers we saw were talented and engaging. No complaints at all.

Casino- I wanted to play craps, but the night we went I didn’t like the feel of the crowd at the only table. Got an “unlucky” vibe, so we ended up at the martini bar instead [emoji23]

Internet- We paid for unlimited internet but it was so slow as to be unusable. This is in contrast to our previous experiences on m-class ships where it wasn’t lightening fast but was at least workable. I wonder if it’s faster on lower or aft floors (ie in the suite hallway) or if it was just terrible throughout. This was really our only disappointment on the trip. My oldest son was a bit of a [emoji90] about this one.

Bars- never had much of a wait. Bartenders always friendly enough and happy to make anything.