Australians discriminated against by Princess

Elorac123

Hi all,I just tried to see if I could transfer my deposit on a 11 day cruise to a 17 day one and because it is less than 160 days I would lose my deposit.

I note that in US there time frame is much different with no penalty up to 75 days out.

Bit on the nose that is

Cheers Carole

Sorry but this is not discrimination any company in a free market sets the terms for the products or services they sell. Is it discrimination when a drug company charges $60 a pill in the United States and $2 in Vietnam for the same pill? No it is adjusting for the market and the customers in that market. I think discrimination is one of the most misused words today. Look at the definition below, sorry charging different prices does meet the definition.

Discrimination The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Sorry but this is not discrimination any company in a free market sets the terms for the products or services they sell. Is it discrimination when a drug company charges $60 a pill in the United States and $2 in Vietnam for the same pill? No it is adjusting for the market and the customers in that market. I think discrimination is one of the most misused words today. Look at the definition below, sorry charging different prices does meet the definition.

Discrimination The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

So if I want to study English I will enrol in night school,seems to me all you want to do is sit on your device all day and correct people who are 1 asking for help or 2 just commenting on a fact,you did not offer your opinion on the topic so go and try to annoy someone else.

So if I want to study English I will enrol in night school,seems to me all you want to do is sit on your device all day and correct people who are 1 asking for help or 2 just commenting on a fact,you did not offer your opinion on the topic so go and try to annoy someone else.

In Australia we have different t&c’s to the US and even if you used an FCD you would be penalised and it’s 181 days when cancellation fees kick in and not 160 days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Australia we have different t&c’s to the US and even if you used an FCD you would be penalised and it’s 181 days when cancellation fees kick in and not 160 days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, I will tell my travel agent she is wrong

Cheers Carole

Type of complaint I seem to see nearly everyday.

I didn’t know the terms I was booking under. It’s not just cruises either.

No Gut,it’s not that it’s just that I saw another cruise and thought I would ask the question after reading the terms of cancelation which I thought was for all Princess cruises,,,,but as it has been pointed out to me by my travel agent it was the U.S. Princess I was looking at.

Sailings less than 30 days (including World Cruise Segments)

Days Prior to DepartureCancellation Charge Per GuestBooking - 75 DaysNo penalty74 - 57 DaysDeposit* Amount56 - 29 Days50% of Total Charges28 - 15 Days75% of Total Charges14 - 0 DaysNo refund

Cheers Carole

No Gut,it’s not that it’s just that I saw another cruise and thought I would ask the question after reading the terms of cancelation which I thought was for all Princess cruises,,,,but as it has been pointed out to me by my travel agent it was the U.S. Princess I was looking at.

Sailings less than 30 days (including World Cruise Segments)

Days Prior to DepartureCancellation Charge Per GuestBooking - 75 DaysNo penalty74 - 57 DaysDeposit* Amount56 - 29 Days50% of Total Charges28 - 15 Days75% of Total Charges14 - 0 DaysNo refund

Cheers Carole

But that’s exactly what I mean, you read someone else’S T&Cs and thought they applied to you.

But that’s exactly what I mean, you read someone else’S T&Cs and thought they applied to you.

So it seems.

I still stand by my first post and think we are being hard done by.

I will say no more

Cheers Carole

Edited by Elorac123
Miss spelt

Actually, this completely falls under that definition.

"The … prejudicial treatment of different categories of people".

1) It is prejudicial as by definition there are differences in pricing.

2) The difference is based on a different category, I.e. those who booked in Australia vs those who booked in the US.

That said, it's also completely compliant with the law as well.

Price discrimination occurs in a number of cases, and the differences in booking terms are due to a variety of reasons that they could not readily be the same.

• Haha 1

Hi all,I just tried to see if I could transfer my deposit on a 11 day cruise to a 17 day one and because it is less than 160 days I would lose my deposit.

I note that in US there time frame is much different with no penalty up to 75 days out.

Bit on the nose that is

Cheers Carole

I can understand your disappointment at loosing your deposit when you wish to transfer from a 11 day cruise to a 17 day cruise.

If I lost my deposit, in those circumstances, it would be the last time I would cruise with Princess, and I would spread the word like you did.

If I lost my deposit, in those circumstances, it would be the last time I would cruise with Princess, and I would spread the word like you did.

I can understand the sentiment you express, but if a person decided not to book a Princess cruise they wanted (for the reason stated) they would be 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. The loss of one booking is not going to make any difference to the way Princess does business.

Of course its discrimination and it has been happening for decades with that company. First we were not allowed into their past passenger club - that changed. I know people who put on comment cards we refuse to pay your tips if we are not welcome into the Captains Circle. I am talking about events over a decade ago.

Just sit back and get your revenge first chance you get. Use the future cruise deposits wisely. I have once let a cruise payment drag out a week after final payment due and my deposit was holding it. The booking cancelled and as soon as it did I was on the website re booking the exact same cabin that was cancelled for $1500 cheaper than what my final fare would have been that Princess refused to change. The only loss was the $100 deposit but in the long run I gained $1400 price differential in my favour. Revenge is a dish best served cold with companies like this.

So it seems.

I still stand by my first post and think we are being hard done by.

I will say no more

Cheers Carole

Difference between hard done by and discriminated against.

One day someone will take on the rise lines over unfair contract terms, but they will need deep pockets as i duobt the ACCC will get involved.

I can understand the sentiment you express, but if a person decided not to book a Princess cruise they wanted (for the reason stated) they would be 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. The loss of one booking is not going to make any difference to the way Princess does business.

Agree. But it would make me feel better at the perceived injustice.

We live in a wonderful world full of endless alternate travel opportunities.

Tend to agree. We are 'Princessed out' after 21 Princess cruises. So trying HAL for first time, got a balcony cabin on Noordam for a much better deal than Princess. HAL are offering some very good promo prices currently, if you look around. What amazes me with Princess is the exorbitant prices they charge for the world cruises on ships like Sea Princess, e.g. $38000 = $370 per person twin share for a balcony cabin, come on. !!:evilsmile: Yet these' worldies' get filled early, year after year.:rolleyes:

Yes Uncle Les has lowered the Princess flag !!! Standby for incoming !!!

Tend to agree. We are 'Princessed out' after 21 Princess cruises. So trying HAL for first time, got a balcony cabin on Noordam for a much better deal than Princess. HAL are offering some very good promo prices currently, if you look around. What amazes me with Princess is the exorbitant prices they charge for the world cruises on ships like Sea Princess, e.g. $38000 = $370 per person twin share for a balcony cabin, come on. !!:evilsmile: Yet these' worldies' get filled early, year after year.:rolleyes:

One reason the WC fills with Princess is no one else offered it out of Sydney.

But remember the Yanks use Pacific for their WC about 1/3 the capacity.

One reason the WC fills with Princess is no one else offered it out of Sydney.

But remember the Yanks use Pacific for their WC about 1/3 the capacity.

With all due respect mate and don't get offended..but I looked at your cruise on Sea Princess next April to Hawaii out and return from Sydney, Mr Gut, $350 per day for a balcony cabin, that is top dollar old son.:hearteyes::loudcry: I was thinking of booking it, but prices too high, anyway we wanted some days in Hawaii, so took the one way from Sydney on Noordam.

With all due respect mate and don't get offended..but I looked at your cruise on Sea Princess next April to Hawaii out and return from Sydney, Mr Gut, $350 per day for a balcony cabin, that is top dollar old son.:hearteyes::loudcry: I was thinking of booking it, but prices too high, anyway we wanted some days in Hawaii, so took the one way from Sydney on Noordam.

I got it way under that just over $200, (and because I needed an accessible got a mini suite for balcony price) but the price has just gone up and up and up.

Hit almost $400 at one stage.

If Mrs G could fly we’d have preferred one way with some time on land.

Same here. We're currently enjoying a return to Celebrity. Cheaper and in many ways much better.

We went on the Noordam inside passage (our first cruise ever) loved it and I believe that still have the happy hours up at the crows nest.

Cheers Carole