What would be in your camera bag?

celoplyr

I’m trying to figure out what camera equipment to take on my “once in a lifetime” trip to Antarctica. I figured we could play a fun game of what would you take, and maybe I’ll get suggestions.

Rules:

Must be less than 15lbs total (there’s a total weight restriction of 44lbs with everything like clothes). That includes tripods. I will have a backup hard drive that I won’t count in this 15lbs.

Backups are a priority.

Renting gear is allowed. Well. Up to about $1000 for the 3 weeks.

Wildlife and landscape photography is a must. I’m not a gigantic birder.

I’m small, and mostly shoot handheld.

Added suggestions/etc.

I’m a Nikon person, keeping to that brand would be preferable.

I have a d5500, tamron 18-400, Sigma 8-16, and a 1.4 30mm. Those are on the table.

I might could borrow my dads lenses, he has the 70-200, and a 150-600. Both are really heavy for me. I think he also has the 14-24. Borrowing his camera body (a d610) would be a lot of “you have to knoooooow your camera for it to be good” lectures that I don’t want to deal with. He’s right though (hence the Nikon preference since I know their menus).

Switching lenses is not my style, unless absolutely needed. Plus in the cold, I would view it as a hassle.

A GoPro is already going. I’m thinking about getting a GoPro fusion (rental) as well. So that would cover video.

Sticking to the same camera battery would save weight- apparently that’s an issue.

I print out up to about 8x10, and make scrapbooks of pictures. For a truly astonishing picture, I would blow it up poster sized.

What would you take? You can do your brand, and Nikon if you want (I know sony has a lot of followers)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to have a heavy bag with Leica M3 & Canon A-1 with loads of lenses and teleconverters.

After deserting film, carried a number of digital P&S and a Nikon D-40 with a Tamron 18-250 (manual focus).

Last 'big' camera in a smaller bag was NIkon D-90 with the old Tamron 18-250 (now autofocusing).

Now, go-to camera (no bag needed) is my trusty Nikon AW-100.

Since pretty much all our photos get put in DW's journal (no prints larger than 4x6"), pretty much don't need our 'good' cameras.

Took only the Nikon AW-100 on last big 113-day HAL World Cruise.

But, if we go on the HAL Volendam 77-day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage in 2020, may take along the NIkon D-90 & Tamron 18-250 to get a little closer to wildlife.

While I love my 150-600, if weight is a concern skip it and rent a teleconverter for the 18-400. You won't suffer that much for light and the edge softness really won't matter. Definitely the 8-16 and the 30mm, those should not be heavy. Rent a carbon fiber monopod and/or an ultralight travel tripod (are you going off ship a lot? The monopod is very practical for that) - I use a vanguard carbon fiber monopod with ball head and I'd have to check what brand my travel tripod is, its not handy.

Also in my bag would be a think tank hydrophobia cover (with spare eyepiece) - weather conditions can get interesting.

For backup my camera writes to 2 cards if needed so I just carry lots, not sure on the latest backup tech.

I would have a backup body, even something like my a6000 in case of systemic failure for a trip like this. Maybe rent a nikon P+S as a backup.

Lots of extra batteries, especially allowing for cold.

A D850 w/14-24, (70-200f2.8E or 300f4PF) if you go with the 300 then also take a 50mm

In your pants pockets TC14E converter, 50mm 1.8 + other smalls that fit like filters and extra batteries.

RRS, Real Right Stuff make a CF monopad at 1 lb and a mono pod head at 8oz. Mono pad is important for sharpest images doing landscapes.

Backup if room a D500.

Both the D850 & D500 use duel cards and can be set for backups. They both use the same battery and the charger is small and light. A D810 can also gives great images but lacks a couple of new features like focus stacking and full frame 4K video.

I know this cost a ton but you can rent some or buy some used and resell it when you get back if you need to. A trip to Antarctica I would take no less than the best. The advantage to buying vs renting is you can spend time learning about your system before you go.

framer

I love spending other peoples money...

I checked the weight and made a modification

2.25 D850

1.75 D500

2.25 14-24

2.00 24-70

1.75 300pf

1.50 RRS monopad and head

11.5 lbs So 3.5lbs of straps, wraps or camera bag to go.

framer

My brand of choice is Olympus micro 4/3. If you want to save on weight, this is the way to go. But, it's a whole new system. I have the EM10 mark ii and for a recent trip to Alaska, I rented the EM1 mark ii. The manuals are available online and I also purchased an ebook on it, so I could read up ahead of its arrival. Granted, the menu system was somewhat familiar already.

For storage, I use the hyperdrive colorspace udma3 - you install your own drive in it or get it with one. It's about the size of 2 iphones stacked, package weight is 1.2 lbs, so it is probably about 1 lb without packing materials.

The EM1 has dual card slots, so you could use that for back up instead. I took a lot of pics ( almost 10,000) and a 64gb card lasted all day for even the most heavy days. Most days, did not have to change batteries either, although I would take 2 backups anyway.

Does weight carried on your person count? One member of my camera club uses the Scottevest for travel, it has MANY pockets. I don't have one so I don't know what it would hold.

I don't mind changing lenses, but I found I didn't have to do it often. Here's my recommendations:

Olympus EM1 mark ii

• Like 1

Oops, I hit 'tab' and it entered the previous unfinished post. Continued:

I have back problems, so weight is why I switched to m43, but the increased weight of EM1 + 12-100mm from EM10 + 14-150mm (my norm) didn't bother me (2.41# vs 1.49#)

Here's my recommendations:

Olympus EM1 mark ii 1.27 #

12-100 mm f4 1.24 #

75-300 mm 0.93 #

There are heavier lenses with longer reach, but I found these sufficient for Alaska. Eagle shots were difficult still. While the camera did pretty well tracking, I wasn't quick to find them and the longer the lenses, the more trouble I have. Pics are fine for 8x10 and most, even with some cropping, can print 16x20. I don't use a tripod (except for fireworks or long waterfall shots) so seldom take one on vacation. Here are some examples from the EM1 + 75-300mm:

EM1-6210948-L.jpg

EM1-6231627-Edit-L.jpg

One from the 12-100mm:

EM1-6282551-L.jpg

Some other options that I didn't try:

Heavier lenses, with more reach:

300mm f4 w/ 1.4x teleconverter (3.0 #) or Panasonic 100-400mm (2.17#)

Wide angle:

9-18mm (0.34#) or 7-14mm (1/18#)

Fisheye bodycap lens (0.07#) (Not particularly useful, but a real light weight!)

Moose Peterson Warming Polarizing Filter: 0.15mm

So, minimal kit: (EM1, 14-150, 75-300, polarizing filter) 2.98 lbs

Take it all (EM1, 12-100, 100-400, 7-14mm, UDMA3, filter + fisheye) 7.08 lbs

Plenty of weight left for camera bag (I use a backpack of parachute material, camera & lenses wrapped or in neoprene cases), spare batteries, camera strap, tripod if you want, and even some extra shoes!! (my down fall!)

I guess I should give what I was planning on as well. :) Most of this would be rented.

Nikon d7500 body (just because it’s weather sealed and has the same battery as the next one)- rented

Nikon d750. I felt like a full frame would be nice, I don’t know why I settled on this one. Rented. Pairing the 2 bodies for options would be ideal.

Sigma 14 mm art- landscape and night photography. Rented

Sigma 135 mm art- fast moving wildlife, backup zoom. Rented

Tamron 18-400- mine, and it does 95% of all my shots. Currently.

Nikon 30mm f1.4- mine, backup lens. It’s fairly tiny.

A very lightweight travel tripod. It’s terrible quality, but it’s lightweight, and I’m short enough that bending over 2 inches isn’t so bad.

Thoughts?

Add in a teleconverter for the 18-400 just in case. Won't cost much to add to the rental, useful on ship if you see something far away and minimal weight.

Depending on excursions a good but light monopod and the think tank I mentioned above.

That's about it.

I guess I should give what I was planning on as well. :) Most of this would be rented.

Nikon d7500 body (just because it’s weather sealed and has the same battery as the next one)- rented

Nikon d750. I felt like a full frame would be nice, I don’t know why I settled on this one. Rented. Pairing the 2 bodies for options would be ideal.

Sigma 14 mm art- landscape and night photography. Rented

Sigma 135 mm art- fast moving wildlife, backup zoom. Rented

Tamron 18-400- mine, and it does 95% of all my shots. Currently.

Nikon 30mm f1.4- mine, backup lens. It’s fairly tiny.

A very lightweight travel tripod. It’s terrible quality, but it’s lightweight, and I’m short enough that bending over 2 inches isn’t so bad.

Thoughts?

I have a 1.4 for mine, it works perfectly well in good light at the long range (which is what I would want it for) - it has definite issues at the short range, but they tell you that up front. With a full frame, there, I would like the 560 range.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-Focus-Teleconverter-Lenses-140FNS/dp/B0000ZJDVM

Please don't waste your money on a teleconverter for that 18-400 lens @ 400 it would not focus well if at all.

framer

I have a 1.4 for mine, it works perfectly well in good light at the long range (which is what I would want it for) - it has definite issues at the short range, but they tell you that up front. With a full frame, there, I would like the 560 range.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-Focus-Teleconverter-Lenses-140FNS/dp/B0000ZJDVM

Whatever I decide on, I’m going to rent for a weekend first to see if it all fits in the limit, and if I’ll use it all. If I don’t like using it, I know that I won’t use it, and it will just be extra weight. I think lens/camera choices can be so very personal!

Thats a good plan. I didn't used to be a fan of rentals, but now I wouldn't consider a new decent cost lens without renting it for a good shoot.

Whatever I decide on, I’m going to rent for a weekend first to see if it all fits in the limit, and if I’ll use it all. If I don’t like using it, I know that I won’t use it, and it will just be extra weight. I think lens/camera choices can be so very personal!

• 1 month later...
How do you rent camera equipment?

Live in Tidewater VA not sure how to find rentals of this sort!!! Do they sell insurance with it? Would like to rent for Alaska cruise. thanks!!!!

Borrowlenses.com or lensrental Both have insurance you can buy.

Where in Tidewater are you? Be safe with Florence! I grew up in Richmond :)

I think you're right on target with your current body, and your own 3 lenses to cover almost everything - the 8-16mm for good ultrawide scenery, the 18-400mm as a superzoom walkaround/everything lens, and a 30mm F1.4 for low light. The only thing to possibly consider adding would be a good wildlife lens - I might consider renting the Nikon 200-500mm - it's 5lbs, with good range and reach, and decent F5.6 aperture...it's lighter and smaller than the 150-600mm lenses, and most reviews say excellent quality - and should be readily rent-able.

I have become quite happy with my lightweight travel rig, so much so I've started leaving the DSLR home and just bringing it...currently I'm using a Sony A6300 mirrorless, with a 10-18mm UWA lens, 18-135mm extended kit, and 16mm F1.4 fast prime as the main kit, then add in my 100-400mm or 70-300mm for wildlife or birding reach if that's on the menu. I may toss in a few other small lenses that don't take much room, like a 35mm F1.4, or 16mm F2.8, depending on whether I think I'll want to play around a bit. The 100-400mm lens is only 3lbs, so quite light for the reach, so my whole kit with camera and 4 main lenses including the big 100-400mm comes to around 6lbs with battery and memory card...even with 2-3 extra small lenses thrown in or my 1.4x teleconverter, I'm still under 8lbs total.

terrific pictures!!!!

oops, i hit 'tab' and it entered the previous unfinished post. Continued:

I have back problems, so weight is why i switched to m43, but the increased weight of em1 + 12-100mm from em10 + 14-150mm (my norm) didn't bother me (2.41# vs 1.49#)

here's my recommendations:

Olympus em1 mark ii 1.27 #

12-100 mm f4 1.24 #

75-300 mm 0.93 #

there are heavier lenses with longer reach, but i found these sufficient for alaska. Eagle shots were difficult still. While the camera did pretty well tracking, i wasn't quick to find them and the longer the lenses, the more trouble i have. Pics are fine for 8x10 and most, even with some cropping, can print 16x20. I don't use a tripod (except for fireworks or long waterfall shots) so seldom take one on vacation. Here are some examples from the em1 + 75-300mm:

em1-6210948-l.jpg

em1-6231627-edit-l.jpg

one from the 12-100mm:

em1-6282551-l.jpg

some other options that i didn't try:

Heavier lenses, with more reach:

300mm f4 w/ 1.4x teleconverter (3.0 #) or panasonic 100-400mm (2.17#)

wide angle:

9-18mm (0.34#) or 7-14mm (1/18#)

fisheye bodycap lens (0.07#) (not particularly useful, but a real light weight!)

moose peterson warming polarizing filter: 0.15mm

so, minimal kit: (em1, 14-150, 75-300, polarizing filter) 2.98 lbs

take it all (em1, 12-100, 100-400, 7-14mm, udma3, filter + fisheye) 7.08 lbs

plenty of weight left for camera bag (i use a backpack of parachute material, camera & lenses wrapped or in neoprene cases), spare batteries, camera strap, tripod if you want, and even some extra shoes!! (my down fall!)

• 3 months later...

The bag I'm taking is a Tamrac backpack. 1st time cruiser to Alaska. It weighs 18#. In it are the D5100, D7500, SB-400 flash, 10-24, 18-200, 28-300, 150-600, batteries, chargers, mem cards, GoPro 7Black & its charger and 3 extra batteries & 4 64gig cards, a couple of ways to mount (Ram suction, Manfrotto Pixi, GorillaPod, & 16" selfie stick). Amazingly, all this crap fits. I know, it's way more crap than I should need but I've been clicking since the mid 60s and would hate to say, "danged if I could only see that Grisly better"!! My wife will use her S9+.

That list seems reasonable.  I might skip the 28-300 depending on which one as it overlaps a lot with the 18-200 (or optimally replace both with an 18-400).  But I would definitely 2 body AK no questions and have a wide, mid range and superzoom). 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:42 AM, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Used to have a heavy bag with Leica M3 & Canon A-1 with loads of lenses and teleconverters.

After deserting film, carried a number of digital P&S and a Nikon D-40 with a Tamron 18-250 (manual focus).

Last 'big' camera in a smaller bag was NIkon D-90 with the old Tamron 18-250 (now autofocusing).

Now, go-to camera (no bag needed) is my trusty Nikon AW-100.

Since pretty much all our photos get put in DW's journal (no prints larger than 4x6"), pretty much don't need our 'good' cameras.

Took only the Nikon AW-100 on last big 113-day HAL World Cruise.

But, if we go on the HAL Volendam 77-day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage in 2020, may take along the NIkon D-90 & Tamron 18-250 to get a little closer to wildlife.

Ohhh to have your old film kit in good working order, I’d be in heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

So I ended up renting 2 things-a new gopro since I couldn't find mine and a tokina 11-16 f2.8 for night shots. I took my d5500 and tamron 18-400, my sigma 8-16 and my f1.4 30mm. As backup I took the d60 and the old 16-300mm lens that I meant to sell on eBay. 

They did not weigh our bags so that concern was unjustified. 

I used the d5500 and tamron for 99% of my shots and I'm happy with them. Some of them are truly stunning. The ones I'm not happy with are mostly because all 5 orcas didn't come together, not because of the camera. The 30mm never made it on the camera (I take it in case since its my lighter lens). I am not sure the 8-16 did, it may have once or twice. I am now debating the tokina and getting rid of the 8-16. The weight and feel is nice. 

The backups. The d60 never saw the light of day. The 16-300 got used extensively by a member of the ships expedition team. Her lens died on day 3 or 4 because it wouldn't focus anymore. Since she had a nikon body I offered to loan her the lens. The amount of joy that extra lens brought was so worth it. Plus I think she paid for some of my stuff on the ship. 

I haven't gone through the go pro videos yet. I'm still struggling with using it, its really finicky on me. 

Anyways, I wanted to tell you the outcome!#

• 1 month later...