Has anyone here ever cruised after bariatric surgery?

immsters

I recently had bariatric surgery and am scheduled for a cruise in January. Food was never an issue before. However, I now cannot eat certain things and certainly not the amounts they serve. I tried to fill out dietary restrictions on the cruise personalizer but there was only diabetic and other diets but not this and nowhere that I could see to send this. Has anyone had any issues or experience with this on board?

No actual experience, but from what you're stating about your restrictions, just don't eat a full portion (or go to the buffet and serve yourself). If there's a particular food or ingredient that can cause distress, tell the head waiter and he'll help with recommendations.

Yes I have cruised post bariatric surgery. Had a vertical gastric sleeve (VSG) in November 2007 and cruised in May the following year. Tried to explain to waitstaff I now had a teeny stomach and could not eat much but they still tried to encourage me to eat and worry there was something wrong with my food. Nowadays I usually order appetizer size portions. Meet with the Maitre'd and explain the situation and ask for smaller portions. If they do not accommodate you then just eat what you can and leave the rest. The worst lesson my mom ever taught me to was that I had to clean my plate. Good luck on your cruise.

I had full gastric bypass May, 2015. After 4 months, we went on a cruise. I had lost about 40 lbs. up to that time. For breakfast I would eat some oatmeal. Lunch and dinner were some fish and veggies. I did have a taste or two of dessert. I lost 3 lbs.after that cruise. A year later and down another 50 lbs. went on another cruise. This time ate everything. Gained 5 lbs. Your appetite does come back and you have to watch what you eat.

Thanks for posting. My wife had surgery last year which forced us to cancel our cruise. She was not sure how she would be feel after the short time between the surgery and the cruise. We are booked on a cruise next year. I will have her read this thread.

Just eat what you know is ok for you. If the waiter questions you, simply tell them why, if you want to. Usually works best if you tell them why you aren't eating like most others....

Just because food is there, doesn't mean you have to partake.

Don't worry about the "waste"...it's already prepared, whether you eat it or not.

My husband had bariatric bypass in May of 2016 and we went on vacation in July of 2016 and then a 2 week cruise in Feb. 2017. Basically he just had small portions and he did very well with seafood and fish, not so well with meat. The meat meals made him too full and he couldn't enjoy the vegies or even a small dessert. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, small muffin, tuna salad, yogurts, any shrimp dish, some pasta,etc. Yes, the waiters were concerned that he didn't like the food,but he just explained that he's not too hungry.

I had VGS in August 2014 and cruised in October 2014 and again for Thanksgiving 2014 (no cooking/cleaning or left overs). I am always able to find something I was able to tolerate. Scrambled eggs, yogurt and oatmeal work great for breakfast, fish options are always good for lunch and dinner. I also make sure to being some Protien drinks with me as well. For time off the ship/excursions I always carry a protein shake, turkey jerky (Perky Jerky is very soft) and individual tuna packets (Starkist). Don't forget about your water too, you don't want to get dehydrated, alcohol will dehydrate you very quickly.

The only problem I have experienced is over zealous wait staff concerned when I only are a small portion of my meal. Once we had a waitress who brought me appetizer and desserts along with my husband's because she did not want me to watch him eat, after the third day and my attempting to explain my situation to here, she finally stopped bring them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I had VGS in August 2014 and cruised in October 2014 and again for Thanksgiving 2014 (no cooking/cleaning or left overs). I am always able to find something I was able to tolerate. Scrambled eggs, yogurt and oatmeal work great for breakfast, fish options are always good for lunch and dinner. I also make sure to bring some Protien drinks with me as well. For time off the ship/excursions I always carry a protein shake, turkey jerky (Perky Jerky is very soft) and individual tuna packets (Starkist). Don't forget about your water too, you don't want to get dehydrated, alcohol will dehydrate you very quickly.

The only problem I have experienced is over zealous wait staff concerned when I only ate a small portion of my meal. Once we had a waitress who brought me appetizer and desserts along with my husband's because she did not want me to watch him eat, after the third day and my attempts to explain my situation to her, she finally stopped bring them.

Posting for a fellow passenger:

Go ahead and cruise post-bariatric surgery if your doctor is okay with it. Six weeks after VSG bariatric surgery, I went on a re-positioning cruise for 5 weeks with Holland America. Luckily, I had an easy recovery so going on a cruise post-op was the absolutely the best thing for me. I was able to rest, not worry about shopping and preparing food and exercised everyday. I lost 10 pounds easily.

The cruise ship has lots and lots of protein selections that you need on a bariatric diet. I was on the 'soft stage' for the first two weeks I was on the cruise so I had cottage cheese/greek yogurt with small amounts of fruit or scrambled eggs for breakfast. There was always a soft protein (like shrimp or chicken) with cooked vegetables available for lunch and dinner in the dining room or buffet. I stuck mostly to the dining room where the portions are small and tasty. We had the waiter always remove the bread basket for every meal so there were no temptations.

I stayed away completely from the any alcohol, cookies, crackers, ice cream so I could stick to my diet. I went to tea times but would only have tea. I rarely took the elevators so by the end of the day, I easily had 10,000 steps and also did the spin and yoga classes at the gym. I actually think I had the best cruise ever because I wasn't overeating all the time and focused on ship activities, port visits or just relaxing reading on my balcony.

I came back completely recovered from the surgery, rested and had established good habits to continue my weight loss journey.

Edited by stairMaster
Removed extra characters (*)

The plates in the main dining rooms are made up uniformly, so just eat what you can. I'm guessing that the buffet will be your best friend. Lots of options and you can take as little as you like.

...and certainly not the amounts they serve.

With all due respect, why is this a concern? If you leave some food on your plate when you're done, you leave some food on your plate - it's that simple no matter what you've got going on inside.

• 4 weeks later...

It's great to read this thread. I just canceled a late October cruise -- as I now have surgery date of Oct. 16. We're cruising on Sapphire Princess for 10 days in Europe in April, and I'm hoping there's a lot less of me to haul around by then!

Ask for appetizer sized portions. Order entrees without sauces, steamed vegetables, etc. Talk to the Maitre d' and get his recommendations.

This is what our friend did after her surgery... after the first dinner, she didn't have to ask again, he always brought her small portions :)

• 3 months later...
This is great! I too am planning on the VGS early 2018 and have a cruise booked in June. This gives me hope that I will be ok during the cruise!

I had VSG 6/30/2016 and went on RCL AK cruise 6/30/2017. I struggled because the proteins were dry, cold, and flavorless. I found myself eating things I shouldn’t, like sweets and other carbs. It was also the first time I was off my morning routine for any length of time, which probably wasn’t good for me, personally. For breakfast I finally had a chat with the head waiter and he was able to locate some ricotta cheese for me. That’s my normal breakfast during the week, and I usually have eggs on the weekend. I mix Benefiber (there are single serve packets) and Splenda in the cheese and that’s my breakfast. They always gave me so much, so the leftovers became my evening snack. I had a fridge in my room and kept it in there. I also grabbed some cheese and fruit from the buffet and kept it in the fridge for the times when I felt like I needed something but didn’t want to go off the rails.

Lunches and dinners were more difficult because of the protein problem, but starting off with the right breakfast helped. I also brought my protein bars for the late afternoon slump (but I wound up sharing those with my dad). It wasn’t just me that thought the food stunk. My entire family did, and I heard others on the ship chat about it, too.

For me, the lack of good protein resulted in triggering bad behavior that I’m trying to get a handle on 6 months later. I didn’t gain any weight on that cruise but I’m up 5# overall. I leave on a Celebrity ship on 12/17 and I’m determined to make better choices this time, and that includes speaking up if the food isn’t what I need it to be. This time I’ll have access to Blu so I’m hoping that the food will be better than Explorer/RCL was this summer.

Being prepared helped, and I know you’ll be prepared. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just came back from a 15 day Panama canal cruise and I am 18 months post op from a VSG. I have lost about 100 pounds and I love cruising. I find that the buffet is not really my friend and prefer to eat dinner in the main dining room. I just order and eat what I can, and then my husband will finish off what I can't eat. I love the dining room because the portions are not huge. In the buffet I tend to choose too much, and then feel bad that I can't eat it all (old habits die hard) even all this time after surgery I can still fall into the trap of taking too much on a plate. We have breakfast in the buffet and I have what I would have at home granola with yoghurt and fruit. And lunch in the buffet but just choose really carefully. I also take a stack of protein bars with me wherever I am and have them as a great back up.

When we are on a ship now, we never use the lift, always take the stairs and either walk the decks on sea days or use the walking machine in the gym. On port days, I now have the energy to walk forever!

It is really funny how my life and focus has changed from being all about food, to now it is really just something that fuels my body and doesn't hold the attraction that it used to. The waiters do worry that you are not enjoying it. but I just smile and say that I loved it but I just can't eat anymore. They get used to me and it has never been a problem.

Loving my new lease on life.

• 1 month later...
I recently had bariatric surgery and am scheduled for a cruise in January. Food was never an issue before. However, I now cannot eat certain things and certainly not the amounts they serve. I tried to fill out dietary restrictions on the cruise personalizer but there was only diabetic and other diets but not this and nowhere that I could see to send this. Has anyone had any issues or experience with this on board?

I had bariatric surgery back in 1980, started at 277 today I weigh 160 because I diet.

I never want to go back. I have cruised post surgery and it is a bummer to not have room fr all the wonderful foods available. just order and eat what you can, it will not be much.

avoid the pitfalls of bread, French fries and desserts as well as drinking.

I have found that I can do well with half a sandwich or half a bagel or remove the meat from the buns like fish or hamburger or hot dogs.

here are some suggestions

80 mango and berries 120 shrimp cocktail 140 chicken no polenta 185 cherrios with milk 200 hamburger no bun no ff 250 bruchetti 250 mixed green salad 250 fish without bun or ff 265 buttred toast, peanut butter 265 1/2 bagel, butter and cream cheese 265 boiled egg, toast with butter 300 new york no ff 300 flounder 300 salads 300 sandwich, burgers and dogs 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto no bread or french fries

I had 12" of my colon removed in Sept 2017 and went on a 10 day cruise in Dec 2017 on the Royal Princess. This was not bariatric surgery, but something similar. I ate a pretty standard breakfast each morning, including yogurt for my Walgreen's daily powder. I ordered less for each meal in the dining room. I reduced my dessert intake to one at dinner. I talked to our Head Waiter about foods i couldn't eat and he provided me a menu of the next day's meal for planning. When I was considering my meal for the next night, our head waiter volunteered to fix one main dish without the seeds, prepared especially for me. On the ten day cruise my DH and I only ate one meal in the buffet. Portion control is key and I have no will-power in the buffet. I drink water with each meal (mimosas for breakfast in Sabatinis). I also purchased one bottle of merlot that lasted me the entire 10 day cruise. Basically, one glass of wine with each dinner. DH and I brought on two bottles of wine that we (mostly me) drank at happy hour in the afternoon on our balcony.