Advice on packing for Rio to Barcelona

Phillygirl3

My fellow cruisers: You are always so helpful when I require information regarding impending cruises that my husband and I will be taking, and for this I am most appreciative. As I begin to think about the Rio to Barcelona cruise I face a packing dilemma. I will be leaving in cold weather in the Northeast and will fly to Rio which I have learned will be warm as it is their summer and then we cross to Spain where the weather will be, perhaps, 20 degrees colder. Over my years of cruise travel, I find myself packing less and making do or creating outfits that can be mixed and matched to allow for maximum wear. Does anyone have any experience with this deviation in temperatures and what to pack (for both men and women) that will provide adequate outfits to accommodate this trip. As always, thank you for any advice that you can offer.:)

I agree with Sheila. We did this cruise on the Mariner in 2014, timing was a few weeks later. I remember being surprised how chilly it was in Malaga and Barcelona, but our layers worked. Have a wonderful trip! We board Mariner on April 4.

Get a thin puffer jacket that packs up to nothing. Wear it to the airport, then pack it in carryon. You may need it as you do the crossing as well. I always take layers even when going to very hot places.

This is also a nice jacket for moderate - moderately cold temps. I’ve rolled it into its little pouch and tossed into my pack or suitcase countless times.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-lightweight-primaloft-jacket/id_302555?searchText=packabl

I’m also anticipating packing for our crossing in April. For my colorblind DH I always pack “Garanimals” style, where everything goes with everything else. I will definitely take the layering advice for us both.