Packing for Christmas Market River Cruise

annc

We've never done a snowy winter river cruise before. I'm assuming we can bring winter hiking boots and such? What is the dress code for these given the poor weather conditions? My winter clothes are very outdoor oriented and not dressy at all. Would I need to bring a dress coat for evening concert in Vienna or just wear a winter parka?

Wear your winter parka! Your vacation - your comfort! You might want to bring your fancy slippers (flats) and change into them at the concert.

We have been in Vienna for New Year's Eve with Uniworld. Because of the crowds the shuttle bus had to drop us off and pick us up a few blocks away. Sure glad l had a warm coat with hood (waterproof, windproof snowboarding coat) and boots to get through crazy crowds in the cold along slippery cobblestones .

RB

Perfect! Thank you! When we were in Vienna with Uniworld, our concert was stifling and miserable, felt like sardines in a can. Heat wave of 107 degrees. Ugh, the only bad memory of our trip! Hopefully a winter cruise will give us a new impression of Vienna.

Annc

What line are you sailing? We sailed on AMA over the Christmas holiday and all I can recommend is dress in layers (32 degrees layer brand under pants and shirt was wonderful) and hand warmers in our coats pockets. We were on the Danube (Germany, Austria and Hungary) and we were lucky with high 30's to high of 48 one day and no rain or snow. Dress on board was more casual then I thought it would be and at dinner people would wear what they wore all day or change. I was an exception in a jacket over a button down and dark jeans each night. My wife -nice top/sweater and slacks or dark jeans. Same with two college age daughters (New Yrs Eve people were much more dressed up).

Really enjoyed our sailing - so relaxing and way to much food and wine - by day 6 we were crying uncle!

any questions please ask but if you do a search on Christmas or holiday sailing you will find a wealth of posts that discuss clothing - some very detailed packing lists posted by some!

Bob

We've never done a snowy winter river cruise before. I'm assuming we can bring winter hiking boots and such? What is the dress code for these given the poor weather conditions? My winter clothes are very outdoor oriented and not dressy at all. Would I need to bring a dress coat for evening concert in Vienna or just wear a winter parka?

I am the least "dressy" person of any I know. I didn't bring anything but dark jeans, fleece cowl neck tops and such. Never felt uncomfortable or out of place. Was very happy to be warm and didn't really care if others were dressed up more than I was. We were on AmaStella Christmas Market - Danube... it was amazing!

We are recently back from our 12th visit to the markets. 6 have been on the river.

We had fabulous weather - crisp, cold and lots of snow!

Good, warm, waterproof boots are a must. Also a good coat, scarf, gloves, hat.

For the ship, we don't wear jeans to dinner and have found that most do not. I pack nice black leggings and slacks and sweaters. DH wears slacks and a sweater or dress shirt.

NYE in Vienna was our most memorable ever. The fireworks display was amazing and we were able to watch it all from the top deck of our boat, with our bottle of Moet and a blanket.:)

Thanks to all for the info! Now we're trying to decide between Emerald Waterways and AmaWaterways to go between Prague and Budapest. Also, we are about three weeks away from making a final decision. Am I going to be too late?