Drink Packages

firsttimecruisers222

We are first time cruisers and we are not sure if we should be buying the drink package. Carnival Cruise has it for $50.00 per person per day. Any advice or thoughts?

The break-even point for Carnival is roughly 6-7 mixed drinks or wine per day, more if you are drinking beer only. Note that this calculation does not include any water, soda, milkshakes, specialty coffees, etc that you may also get with the Cheers package.

You can buy ANY drink without a package...and you don't have to "pre-purchase" packages....You can see how it goes, and if you feel you'll come out ahead with the package, you can buy it on the 2nd or 3rd day (if you're on a 7 night cruise). They pro-rate the number of days. Be aware that all adults in a cabin must purchase if one does.

Here's a chart I made. It does not have every single drink option/price but should be helpful to give you a good idea of what to expect. As others have said, it depends on what and how much you expect to drink. Assume you will drink at least a little more than normal since there are bars everywhere.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z9HJaXa8aFFdhKb-3d7KakzglA3M08dXPF70TgXHHTU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a chart I made. It does not have every single drink option/price but should be helpful to give you a good idea of what to expect. As others have said, it depends on what and how much you expect to drink. Assume you will drink at least a little more than normal since there are bars everywhere.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z9HJaXa8aFFdhKb-3d7KakzglA3M08dXPF70TgXHHTU/edit?usp=sharing

Great chart!!

Super helpful, thank you!

My husband likes craft beers. The cruise we're about to head off on has a $90 AUD per day charge for the premium drinks package. That suggests that he'd need to drink about 10 beers per day just to break even. I can see him happily enjoying 5-6 many days, and occasionally more than 10 (over say 3-4 hours). But I think buying the package at that steep price would encourage him to drink as many as possible to "get his money's worth". All that would do is irritate me (a virtual non-drinker). So I have purchased the soft drink packages for myself and our children, as it appears to break even around 3 drinks per day. I think there is no doubt that we will easily have that (it includes hot chocolates/juice as well).

If the cost for the alcoholic package was around $50 AUD per day, I'd probably think it was okay. Above that, and you're asking for people to drink, drink, drink to ensure they're not wasting their money. We're not cruising so we can get drunk, we want to get out and about and see the sights.

While others have focused on the alcoholic drinks involved in the Cheers package, I'd just like to point out many non-alcoholic choices like smoothies and sodas are also included. My experience is on a different line but the drinks are generally same deal on that line. I've found if the cruise has many shore days I intend to spend on land enjoying excursions I find it hard to break even. If the cruise has few shore days or I plan to stay on board for most of the days I find I very easily get value from purchase of a drink plan even though I am not a heavy drinker because it also covers smoothies, specialty coffees, sodas, bottle waters, and relaxing hot tea which I enjoy daily.

• 2 weeks later...
You can buy ANY drink without a package...and you don't have to "pre-purchase" packages....You can see how it goes, and if you feel you'll come out ahead with the package, you can buy it on the 2nd or 3rd day (if you're on a 7 night cruise). They pro-rate the number of days. Be aware that all adults in a cabin must purchase if one does.

I was told by Princes, that even if you didn't buy the drink package until day 3 or 4, you will get charged for the full length of the cruise. Is that correct? TIA.

So, I just got off a brilliant cruise with Princess. I bought the soft drink package for myself and my two children. It was totally worth it, as we drank easily 3 drinks per day, including soft drinks and mocktails. However, I chose not to buy the premium drinks package for my husband, who is a beer drinker. It was priced at around $1100 AUD. In the end, with him purchasing beer as often as he liked, he spent around $300 AUD. Drinks were between $6.50 and $8.00 on average each. We did buy two bottles of champagne as well, but we got nowhere near the amount of money that the package would have cost.

Also the freedom to tr6 something different, knowing that in effect it costs nothing to try it.

I always try a different drink with the package. I will order a new drink if the ice melts or the drink becomes warm. No need to rush down the drink.