My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Taken from the main road on the north west side of the island of Bora Bora. We had stopped at a Pareo making shop. We were on the 4X4 ship excursion, BRB-1609

in%20front%20of%20pareo%20vendor2%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-sSWGFmR/0/a8f0fe89/X3/in%20front%20of%20pareo%20vendor2%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Up high above Bloody Mary's looking north west. The PG sits in the lagoon just off Viatape. The local high school can be seen in the middle foreground.

bora%20bora%20high%20above%20Bloody%20Mary%20looking%20west%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-hj4kCmN/0/a69461ee/X3/bora%20bora%20high%20above%20Bloody%20Mary%20looking%20west%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Up high above Bloody Mary's looking east toward Tahaa/Raitea

bora%20bora%20high%20above%20Bloody%20Mary%20looking%20east%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-JTjQz4p/0/1ab7d145/X3/bora%20bora%20high%20above%20Bloody%20Mary%20looking%20east%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Taken from Hiro's Rock looking toward the east side of Raiatea

Above%20north%20guns%20looking%20east%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-47fXQ2q/0/4be2e0fc/X3/Above%20north%20guns%20looking%20east%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Taken from Hiro's Rock looking toward the canons that sit on the north east side of Bora Bora.

north%20bora%20bora%20canons%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-r7HrKfp/0/1dc91b6f/X3/north%20bora%20bora%20canons%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

A telephoto of the canons and the bunker. There is a trail so you can walk to teh canons if you are driving around the island. Just ask where Hiro's Rock is located ...

double%20guns%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-Kfqp7wn/0/6f36aa03/X3/double%20guns%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

The canons on the west side ....

We were on the ships excursion BRB-1609. The 'road' to get to the canons is very rough and not always accessible so if your not in good health or have back problems this isn't the excursion for you. Also be aware that the vendor drivers sometimes consider the east side canons as delivering the 'canons' as mentioned in the excursion outline. Once you have arrived at the Pareo shop, one of the last stops make sure to ask one of the drivers that you want to visit the west side canons. If there are more than one 4X4 they may ask who wants to go up to the west canons and who wants to go back to the ship. They may opt to separate the group based on who wants what. Not everyone heard the option on our last trip after I made mention to a driver about going up to the canons .... so make sure you personally ask if your one that wants to make the rough drive up tp the west side canons.

The road up ....

road%20to%20the%20canons%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-psm9gsj/0/97c33973/X3/road%20to%20the%20canons%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Looking east from one of the two canons.

south%20canon%20%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-cZd9TGX/0/611a1877/X3/south%20canon%20%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Looking west from the other canon ... the PG sitting there .... gracefully. A perfect photo op ;)

south%20canon%203%20%281%20of%201%29-2-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-gGLNVsR/0/2e5ef1d9/X3/south%20canon%203%20%281%20of%201%29-2-X3.jpg

Next up will be the PG Bora Bora private motu ;)

No further action so I'm going to discontinue this thread ...

I'll add pictures to other threads when they help answer questions about a particular island or place of interest.

Too bad. I've been enjoying the pictures and information.

I was really looking forward to seeing your pics and tips for the private Motu. We are leaving in a couple of days and this thread has been so valuable in our planning.. I know it takes time for you to post so please know that there are people out here that truly enjoy and look forward to your posts.

No further action so I'm going to discontinue this thread ...

I'll add pictures to other threads when they help answer questions about a particular island or place of interest.

Just because people aren't responding doesn't mean they're not watching.

Thank you! Have you done the Lagoon Excursion with Maohi Nui or Lagoonarium-Open Air Aquarium Snorkeling Experience? The Lagoon Excursion looks to be the same as (Patricks) just without lunch. If it goes to the same places and I will only miss lunch and save $200 (2 of us) then would you recommend that? Thank you again!

Thank you! Have you done the Lagoon Excursion with Maohi Nui or Lagoonarium-Open Air Aquarium Snorkeling Experience? The Lagoon Excursion looks to be the same as (Patricks) just without lunch. If it goes to the same places and I will only miss lunch and save $200 (2 of us) then would you recommend that? Thank you again!

The first time I saw Patrick was over 15 years ago when he was still fire dancing. I've taken his tour several times over the years and with the exception of one time the experience was very good. Go for it ...

Just because people aren't responding doesn't mean they're not watching.[/quot

I couldn't agree more!

Although my first PG cruise is over ( :() I hope for more so I am following your thread with great interest. I haven't commented or asked any questions because I have two cruises planned (on different lines) for the next two summers so I'm not in a PG "planning phase" at the moment. That doesn't take away from my appreciation of your photos and commentary.

Please believe that there are probably many folks looking at your thread on a daily basis but not being part of the 'action'! :)

Happy New Year TBK!

Awe! I hope you change your mind! I actually printed out this thread and brought it on our cruise for reference. I now fully understand why you keep going back. What a beautiful place with equally as beautiful people! I was looking forward to hearing more of your adventures and seeing your incredible photographs.

The pictures / info will continue, just on new threads which will individually highlight an island / motu ;)

There is a new thread I stated for the Bora Bora private motu. Soon I'll put one up on Motu Mahana ....

Then over to Rangiroa ....

If you have and individual question regarding a certain island / motu just ask as a new post. I will answer your questions with pictures included plus this will make it easier for everyone else to join in with their own experiences.

The first time I saw Patrick was over 15 years ago when he was still fire dancing. I've taken his tour several times over the years and with the exception of one time the experience was very good. Go for it ...

I should have asked my question another way. The 3 stop snorkel with Patrick is about $100 (3 hour) and the (5 hour) with lunch is double that price at $200pp. Is the lunch really worth it? Thank you again!!

I should have asked my question another way. The 3 stop snorkel with Patrick is about $100 (3 hour) and the (5 hour) with lunch is double that price at $200pp. Is the lunch really worth it? Thank you again!!

The snorkel stops will be similar and very likely the same. The lunch is fun and if you have ever dreamed about sitting in the South Pacific with your feet in the water while taking in incredible views all while chomping on Polynesian food then go for it. If that isn't interesting to you then take the shorter tour and eat lunch back on-board ;)

We totally enjoyed the lunch on the motu, prepared by Patrick's family. There were only 12 of us on this portion of the tour. We did a circumnavigation of Bora Bora, and stopped at their dock. There were nothing but smiles on all of our faces as we explored the motu on our own, and the food was delicious. Perfectly grilled lobster tails as well as pit roasted suckling pig, and a delicious chicken stew with coconut and spinach. The banana dessert was delicious, even if we were a little apprehensive about the pink color. Good champagne and wine were provided. We considered it to be a meal that was more than worth 100 dollars in French Polynesia (even taking into account the buffet lunch we missed on the Paul Gauguin) and the atmosphere couldn't be beat. You only live once, and 100 dollars isn't much compared to the total price of the trip.

We totally enjoyed the lunch on the motu, prepared by Patrick's family. There were only 12 of us on this portion of the tour. We did a circumnavigation of Bora Bora, and stopped at their dock. There were nothing but smiles on all of our faces as we explored the motu on our own, and the food was delicious. Perfectly grilled lobster tails as well as pit roasted suckling pig, and a delicious chicken stew with coconut and spinach. The banana dessert was delicious, even if we were a little apprehensive about the pink color. Good champagne and wine were provided. We considered it to be a meal that was more than worth 100 dollars in French Polynesia (even taking into account the buffet lunch we missed on the Paul Gauguin) and the atmosphere couldn't be beat. You only live once, and 100 dollars isn't much compared to the total price of the trip.

Thank you! That does sound amazing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kindly for all of the time and effort invested in this thread. I have spent the last several days reviewing trying to glean information out of it for our next trip no the PG. I has been 15 years since we did it the first time and I don't remember so many things. We only did the 7 day at that time. So it feels like starting over.

I was anxious to read about the Bora Bora PG Motu.

I will look to see if you have started another thread and if not ask questions.

Thank you kindly for all of the time and effort invested in this thread. I have spent the last several days reviewing trying to glean information out of it for our next trip no the PG. I has been 15 years since we did it the first time and I don't remember so many things. We only did the 7 day at that time. So it feels like starting over.

I was anxious to read about the Bora Bora PG Motu.

I will look to see if you have started another thread and if not ask questions.

Basically this is the continuance: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2579274

And then this: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2581234

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy once more!

OK.....getting ready to book for 14 days in August. :D

Can not dredge up your suggestions on cabins/decks. I don't need a balcony but would enjoy seeing the passing scenery. Money is not a big deal - mostly I want to be "in the mix" and enjoy the other guests, the crew, the locals, etc., etc.

Been an anthropologist all my life but that is NOT going to influence my attitude toward this trip! This is for fun. As always, look forward to hearing from you.

Pops

Howdy once more!

OK.....getting ready to book for 14 days in August. :D

Can not dredge up your suggestions on cabins/decks. I don't need a balcony but would enjoy seeing the passing scenery. Money is not a big deal - mostly I want to be "in the mix" and enjoy the other guests, the crew, the locals, etc., etc.

Been an anthropologist all my life but that is NOT going to influence my attitude toward this trip! This is for fun. As always, look forward to hearing from you.

Pops

I've been on decks 3, 4, 6 and 7. A balcony was never a big deal to me but my BH gets all excited when we get one. She loves to sit there in the morning and enjoy a cup of coffee while the PG enters the lagoon of another island, this is typically around 7 - 8 am. I'm always up on deck early so I have a 'big' balcony with un-obstructed views ;) Many returnees love decks 3 & 4, they are less money and it's easy access to the tender. As we say, the PG is a small ship and it's easy to get to an open deck for views.

So ask yourself, are you an early riser who will go up early, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the scenery on deck somewhere? Or ... are you a late raiser who would rather see the scenery while your in your night clothes and/or getting ready plus you like to order breakfast room service. Once you answer that you will arrive at the right answer your your individual situation.

I prefer going mid-ship no matter the deck. Less movement and as you will be in more open water /sea days it's something to consider. In reality the lower down plus mide-ship will move less. Movement doesn't really bother me .... sort of like being a baby and being rocked to sleep but for some it can be an issue ....

Remember most cabins that are not suites or verandas are very similar in size, the balcony is the only major difference. The majority of PG frequent cruisers are a active 40 - 70 somethings, they like getting on-deck, not many sit on the balcony all day ;)

The nice thing about this forum is there are a bunch of seasoned PG cruisers on here. I would guess others will chime in and give you their take on the decks/cabins they prefer. After you have decided on a cabin type book it. Yuo can always come back and give us your cabin number and ask for feedback ....

Hope that helps ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna