So what's the best thing you've eaten on a Holland America cruise?

jeepers13

I agree with jeepers13. My wife and I are both vegetarian and found the options in the MDR were really excellent! They do offer a complete vegetarian menu for the asking. The chili rellanos on regular menu on our Mexican cruise were outstanding! At the dive-in bar, the portabella mushroom "burger" (with or without the bun) and the fries with dive-in sauce are addicting!

I had a wonderful 22 ounce Porterhouse a couple of years ago. Ate the whole thing, it was great!

Yes!!

I ate an entire one as well! The couple seated at the table next to us kept stealing glances at us. They actually clapped their hands when I finished!

For the record, I’m 5’3” and of normal weight.

I also love the muesli!

Smoked salmon and capers are another fav!

I used to really enjoy he North west Clam chowder in Pinnacle, Also, the french onion soup they used to serve in Pinnacle. the one they sevv ed in MDR is watery by comparison( with much less flavor) , iMO . Exec Chef Mike Mahn (Now Hotel Director) used to make calves liver as well as it tastes in venice and we loved it in Harry's bar. :) :)

I also looked forward every cruise to seeing bami goreng on the menu. I dnnt' care forr the nasi goreng but loved their bami goreng. Sadly, I've nnott enjoy any of them in years.............. they are gone from tthe menu.

While the food in MDR on Veendam this s ummer was fine,nothing stands out as remarkable to my taste. I ddidn't really enjoy anything enough to finish it to want more or order it again. :(

Edited by sail7seas

Definitely the Dutch pea soup...always very good.

In the MDR on a recent Zuiderdam cruise there was liver on the menu. I had never seen it on a HAL menu so tried it. What a pleasant surprise it was absolutely delicious. Another pax at our table also had it and had a similar reaction.

I wish it had been offered on my recent cruise. It wasn't and it has been many years since I have sen it offered. I have a great market that will get calves liver for me but many markets no longer have it as a regular item. High cholesterol stops th em? maybe?

At lunch in the Pinnacle Grill I had the warm fudge brownie with gelato and popcorn crunch. They offer it with coffee gelato but I don't like the coffee taste so asked for another flavor. Simply divine! The entire lunch was fabulous and such a bargain at $10 (or less if you have Mariner discounts). Well worth it.

Definitely the Dutch pea soup...always very good.

In the MDR on a recent Zuiderdam cruise there was liver on the menu. I had never seen it on a HAL menu so tried it. What a pleasant surprise it was absolutely delicious. Another pax at our table also had it and had a similar reaction.

Just saw it on the Veendam Cuba-Christmas cruise - still alive and well. A very worthy classic. Some of the best I have had because it is always something I order too.

Getting ready for a land trip to Switzerland and many of the restaurants have whole menu sections devoted to various ways they prepare liver - this is a standard item. Not sure any "high cholesteriol" foods ever got confirmed to actually "raise cholesterol", regardless of scares in the media. Certainly does not scare the Swiss. And also agree, the very very best I have ever had was also in Venice - fegato alla veneziana - with that vinegar-reduced pan sauce. Bellisimo.

• 3 months later...

Our favorite meal was on the 14 day Alaska cruise where they brought a brewmaster from Alaskan Brewery on board and they did a beer pairing lunch. I can't even remember what we ate but remember it as my favorite meal.

jeepers, I am sure that you meant that photo to make our mouths water....

But, that does not look appealing to me at all.

Not a fan of sirloin. (Had the BEST filet that we just picked up on sale at Kroger the other night!)

And, I would never ruin high quality food with a pile of pungent black pepper. But, that's just me.

Do those green beans look soaked in oil?

Not sure if it just photos, but I seem to see a lot of that when looking at HAL dining photos.

I'll start with one word: dessert. I loved them all. In the main dining room, for sure, but so many yummy little plates at the buffet. Never had a pavlolva before and I thought it was divine. I won't tell you how many I had on our last cruise. It was a lot.

Plus, I've never been on a cruise with hand-dipped ice cream before. It's always just been soft serve on the pool deck. That was a nice touch.

Can't wait till March!

Sticky Toffee Pudding!

The Halibut in the Pinnacle - April 2018 Nieuw Amsterdam. So crazy good!

Glad somebody knows how to prepare it. Worst dish I had in 29 days on Volendam last month. Mom liked it on Noordam and I told Petar to have his chef talk to that chef.

I'm really enjoying Sel de Mer both on Koningsdam and the pop up on Volendam I just experience. Seafood Tower, escargots (can't have it in MDR anymore), Cassoulet, Coq au Vin, sweetbreads. Sushi in Tamarind and the not as giant fortune cookie. I'm going to go back and look at all the posts. This is fun after microwaving a burrito for dinner tonight. Love it when they can incorporate local ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...