American Cruise Lines - Queen of the Mississippi

janetcbl

Has anyone taken this cruise on this new ship? We are interested in a trip on the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Paul and can find very little information about traveling in this area, or any information on any other cruise line (other than American Cruise). Our interests are history, natural history,and lectures; dressing for dinner, fancy wine lists and entertainment are not important to us. Thanks!

sk8teacher,

There are two cruise lines operating a boat each on the Mississippi river system.

There´s the American Queen steamboat operated by American Queen Steamboat Company (which has an own sub forum on her you´ve linked to).

And there´s the just christened Queen of the Mississippi (paddlewheel, no steam) by American Cruise Lines (which has no own sub forum on here, so questions about ACL have to be asked on here). ACL is currently building a second boat. They also operate the Queen of the West paddlewheeler on the Columbia river system. Next to that they do operate a couple of more small ships.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am an avid cruiser (winters) and have a houseboat on the Mississippi (summers) in Minnesota. If you have questions about the ports of St Paul, or Red Wing, I'd be happy to try and answer.

In a general sense, what I can tell you about the area from Lake Pepin to St Paul is that it is a very beautiful stretch of the river. There are a large number of eagles that soar and glide the thermals. Right now I am looking out the back window of my houseboat and see herons, immature eagles, ducks and geese. Last week some cranes were guests in the bay. As I understand it, 2/3 of the North American migratory birds use the Mississippi as their path. It is a great time of year to visit.

We are having an extremely dry year, which has impacted the river levels. We saw the Queen in Red Wing a week or two ago, so I assume she is still able to navigate the river.

Happy Cruising!

Ann

sk8teacher,

There are two cruise lines operating a boat each on the Mississippi river system.

There´s the American Queen steamboat operated by American Queen Steamboat Company (which has an own sub forum on her you´ve linked to).

And there´s the just christened Queen of the Mississippi (paddlewheel, no steam) by American Cruise Lines (which has no own sub forum on here, so questions about ACL have to be asked on here). ACL is currently building a second boat. They also operate the Queen of the West paddlewheeler on the Columbia river system. Next to that they do operate a couple of more small ships.

steamboats

I'm booked on the Queen of the West for August on Columbia River. Anyone who has taken this trip and has any hints on what to bring, what not to bring, etc. I'd appreciate your input. :)

Archived