American cruise line building new ships

jacksonnh

ACL can build a whole fleet of new ships, but until they hire better cooks and train their dining room staff better, I won't set foot on them again. Not to mention things that are blatant safety hazards like: no phones in the room; no first aid kit or supplies on board and no one on board trained in any kind of emergency care.

Hydrokitty,

on the Queen of the Mississippi there´s a phone in the room and even a big red button you can push in any kind of emergency.

The Queen of the West is an older vessel which was bought by ACL after the previous owner (Majestic America Line) seized operation.

BTW I couldn´t complain about the food on the Queen of the Mississippi either.

steamboats

Hydrokitty,

on the Queen of the Mississippi there´s a phone in the room and even a big red button you can push in any kind of emergency.

The Queen of the West is an older vessel which was bought by ACL after the previous owner (Majestic America Line) seized operation.

BTW I couldn´t complain about the food on the Queen of the Mississippi either.

steamboats

Thanks for the input....I was really interested in the Mississippi River cruise until we went on Queen of the West...It's good to know that there's a difference in the ships. It's a shame, too because the Pacific Northwest cruise itself was spectacular.

I'm booked on the Queen of the Mississippi in the fall of this year, New Orleans to Memphis. I'm really looking forward to a river cruise on the Mississippi. I'm traveling solo on this trip. Would consider booking another river cruise if I enjoy this one (maybe on one of the new ones).

steamboats, would enjoy hearing more about your impressions of your Mississippi river cruise. My itinerary is New Orleans to Memphis.

SteelMagnolia9,

I should have been on the Mississippi river, Upper Mississippi river to be correct. Originally our cruise was St. Paul to St. Louis but due to high water they couldn´t go up to St. Paul on the previous cruise and went to Cincinnati instead. So we were going from Cincinnati to St. Louis.

But I´ve traveled the whole navigable Mississippi river, Ohio river, Illinois river, parts of the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers on the steamboats.

The Lower Mississippi river is no my favorite part of the river due to the more flat and boring (from New Orleans to Baton Rouge industrial) landscape. But the stops along the river are pretty nice with the plantation homes like Oak Alley and towns like Vicksburg and Natchez or St. Francisville. Baton Rouge is not that exciting.

steamboats