How to, price drops...

Hello,

I've been on about 7 cruises over the years. I find that cruising now is far more expensive than years ago. Now, in all fairness, some of that is because of the natural market and prices and some is because, now we prefer to cruise in higher categories. I'm planning a trip in the spring of 2018 and right now, the prices for this cruise, in the category I want are simply out of my budget. However, I signed up with a site which tracks pricing and, I get emails from them almost daily telling me of price drops. Yet when I visit the cruise site, I see no change at all in pricing. Not when they say it dropped, not when they say it's gone and not when they say it's gone up.

I think it must be me, perhaps I'm not using the site correctly. The cruise is an NCL cruise. My NCL rep tells me they will honor any drops up until the final payment is due in Mid December. In doing some research here on CC, I'm beginning to think maybe all the pricing flux happens after that final payment date because by then I'll be locked in and unable to make changes.

I really do want to do this cruise but I feel like I'm paying top dollar. No discounts, no big savings and it's crazy expensive. Looking at the graph the price tracking site shows, there have been multiple times when the pricing was much better. I just need to learn how to actually get those prices.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac

Don't know price drops rules in NCL. I have 3 bookings with PD. fist one one was Splendour OTS British Isles and Norwegian Fjords, original booking was inside, we ended in a ocean view and $1,400 dlls less, Second time was on Rhapsody OTS Caribbean, again we was booked inside and ended on AFT Balcony, and know Celebrity Eclipse we book a inside GTY one week later they assigned us CAT 11 inside after several price drops we asked for a upgrade to Veranda 2C and $30 less. It depends of how popular is the sailing, they always try to fill the ship. and some companies do not offer the new promotions for re bookings. In other cases the best is to lost your deposit for a better booking and savings $$$. Too much scenarios

Alas playing a pricing game is not the same as it was even 5 years ago!

I am one of those who tend to book early.. like 2 years early....

That being said the last time I saw prices go down significantly from whatever sale I booked was 2011. We did have a $80 price drop in 2015, but we moved from an obstructed to regular balcony instead.

I got lucky with our currently booked MSC cruise, the price dropped by $400 for 2 days, then it went back up.

Since you were looking at NCL I will relate that story. Booked a stupid price with KSF and drink package (before taxes added on) for a 7 day Bermuda in a mini-suite for only $2700 for 4. Oldest son decided he didn't want to go, but we ended up calling the upgrade line and getting a Haven Suite for only $1000 more. All told $3700 for 3 in the Haven with the drink package for all of us included. If I would have booked just 1 month later, the mini-suite would have been about $4000. The Haven room we got? 5 months before sailing would have cost me close to $8000 for 3 of us.

Even sailing Carnival where if you are willing to give up your deposit if you cancel and you can price match until 2 days before sailing I had never seen significant price drops.

To be honest, from what it sounds like you are looking to book at least a Suite if not a Haven Suite on NCL. Those prices are NOT going to drop unless something major happens. I am sure those on the NCL board will also confirm this. The reason I got into the Haven so cheap was only because I had such a cheap booking at the start, even then if I wasn't watching/calling 2-3 times a week when you still could, the 3 Haven upgrades went in less than 6 hours.

If you are using that website that "fishes" with a "net" for "cruises" then their numbers can be way off. I have seen times when a cruise room will be priced for the actual price with 2 people, then it will "price drop" to the per person fare and such. NCL seemed notorious for it there.

Hello Jasalth,

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

Yes, Haven...

Yes, that's the site...

I may try the NCL board for help. The pricing is crazy right now.

Thank you,

Mac