Fiji 2019

TheDee

We marked our 70th birthdays in July with the great Reunion Cruise. Our next milestone is our 50th wedding anniversary in 2019. I just saw two cruises on the PG in September to/from Fiji, Tonga, the Cook Islands, and the Society Islands. Fiji would be new to us. I would love to hear any opinions about this itinerary, either positive or negative. We always get such good information from these boards. Thanks. Linda

The ports in Fiji are horrible and those iteneraries have lots of sea days. Unless you will spend some time in Fiji pre or post cruise I would not do it.

We have done a two week land vacation in Fiji as well as a port stop on the PG on their trip from Australia to Tahiti. Fiji can be a great vacation but is not well suited for a port stop.

I have to agree with Flight Medic though now PG stops at Beqa island which is nice.

There are some very nice land resorts in Fiji...have been researching these myself.

One issue in Fiji waters can be blue bottles and sea lice. When we were in Malolo island we were bitten.

If you have a chance for a land based stay in Fiji Mantangi Island was spectacular. We visited the Yasawa Islands via a 6 day Blue Lagoon snorkel cruise and the snorkeling was amazing.

This is the resort i was researching. They have an all inclusive resort.

We have just had a land based holiday plus a cruise around the Yasawa and Manamuca Islands in Fiji. No bluebottles or lice and the snorkelling was amazing. We have also experienced fabulous day tours from Lautoka and Suva so not sure why FlightMedic55 was so dismissive. The people and culture in Fiji are just wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suva is a common port for the cruise. It is an industrial type of city and many of us who go on these cruises do it to experience the spectacular snorkeling and diving the region has to offer. Unfortunately it is quite a distance in time to get to areas to enjoy any water activities. I wholeheartedly agree that Fiji is a spectacular destination but I personally would not suggest the lengthy sea voyage with added sea days simply to visit one or two ports for one day. I would suggest this if you are beginning or ending your trip in Fiji and you can add on some additional days.

• 1 month later...

We booked the same 2019 Fiji cruise while on our Dec 2nd cruise. We loved both of our cruises on the Paul Gauguin this year. We haven't been to Fiji, and we also plan to do a post-cruise stay. It's a long trip for us from Florida to Tahiti, and this could be the only trip we ever make to Fiji. Why wouldn't we want to see a number of ports of call in Fiji to get a feeling for the country and its people? I've read that the people of Fiji are friendly, welcoming, don't have a problem with people who speak English, and prefer that people don't wear skimpy clothing when they aren't on the beach. If we find that all to be true, we would be tempted to go back.

There are 4 stops in Fiji, including our disembarkation port. As for sea days on the Paul Gauguin, our February cruise was the 14 night trip to the Marquesas. It was our first cruise ever, and we didn't mind the 4 days at sea. We don't consider sea days to be a waste of time. We stop at Tonga to break up the sea days. We haven't been there before and are also looking forward to that.

We haven't found spectacular snorkeling in French Polynesia or the Cook Islands, compared to places like Bonaire in the Caribbean. I don't expect to find it in Fiji, but if we do we would be tempted to go back.