Camera advice

rabin1

Hello

I need to buy a new camera. I don;t want to spend a fortune maybe less than $500 if possible. Not too bulky, big or heavy. I also need it to be idiot proof as I am not too good at taking pictures.

Please help with your advice. I have looked on line and am still confused or should I say more confused. I don;t just want to go to a store and them tell me their opinion. Would like someone in the know advice.

Thank you in advance

Kathy

Kathy, FYI, there is a great forum in CC dedicated to photography and cameras....https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Thank you but there is nothing there that helps me with my specific needs.

Never mind I will just hope the sales people give me the correct information and not just be after the sale.

Kathy

I would usually recommend a Digital SLR camera, but although you can buy a good body (the camera itself) for under $500, you would be unlikely to find one with a lens for that price, unless you look at used. If you do that, be careful where you buy one from. There are some very good Bridge Cameras out there these days. The name comes from the notion that they are a bridge between the point and shoot, and an SLR. You don’t have the versatility of being able to change lenses like an SLR, but a Bridge Camera has telephoto abilty built in to it and the range (of the telephoto lens) has become really quite impressive. You will have your choice of the best if those in your budget. I recommend doing some research. Look at reviews on Amazon, then, when you have two or three picked out, google more extensive reviews on them.

Hi Kathy,

I do not understand all the bells and whistles of DSLR cameras so I needed one that is easy to use. I have a Olympus Bridge Camera. It is the SP100. I love it and it has a great zoom. I use the screen to look at instead of the eye piece because it is easier for me. If I were you, I would ask to see Bridge cameras and feel how they fit your hand. I have small hands and some of them were just too uncomfortable. I see it on Amazon US for 464.80. Type in Olympus SP-100.

Good luck.

If you want an idiot proof camera, I would say go for a compact. Bridge and DSLR cameras are weighty and bulky and won’t go in your pocket. Ideally you need one that offers the biggest sensor, 1 inch if your budget runs to it, with at least a 10 Times optical zoom and 18 or 20 megapixels. Have a look at Panasonic Lumix cameras. Look at Steve’s Digicams, it’s a good review site. Link is http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In recent years I have used my mobile phone, even though I used to use a SLR with interchange lens, as they became cumbersome for me to carry around. The quality is really very good and you zoom in to a particular part of the photo and then crop.

If you want an idiot proof camera, I would say go for a compact. Bridge and DSLR cameras are weighty and bulky and won’t go in your pocket. Ideally you need one that offers the biggest sensor, 1 inch if your budget runs to it, with at least a 10 Times optical zoom and 18 or 20 megapixels. Have a look at Panasonic Lumix cameras. Look at Steve’s Digicams, it’s a good review site. Link is http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/.

I can also recommend the Sony Cybershot that my wife uses. It has an excellent zoom and 18mp camera for a compact camera that easily fits in your pocket. I hardly use my Nikon P610 bridge camera these days on holiday.

See http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/dsc-hx90v/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx90v-review.html. For a review.

The Nikon Coolpix P900 for US$580 is pretty powerful. My friend has the Canon Powershot SX720HS with which he produces some nice work. It has been replaced by the SX730HS @US$380.

Fujifilm, Panasonic and Olympus are also good brands.

John

Hello

. Would like someone in the know advise.

I'm a professional photographer so I hope that qualifies as someone in the know.

If you have a local camera store use it.

There is a saying that the best camera in the world is the one with you. If you don't want something dangling round your neck most of the time buy one you can slip into a decent sized pocket or hand bag.

Most cameras have an idiot proof mode. If you are worried about bells and whistles make sure the one you buy has one.

Buy a camera with a viewfinder you put to your eye. More pictures are spoiled by camera shake than anything else. It is hard to hold a camera steady if you have to hold it at reading distance from your eyes. Putting a camera to your eye steadies the camera against your cheek and also makes your picture taking less conspicuous. Viewfinders cost money which is why manufacturers try to do without them - but don't get conned as you need to pay that little bit extra. The improvement in your results will be significant.

Wide angle gives a better sense of where you are than telephoto. Of course, if you are a bird watcher or wild life enthusiast, a telephoto is probably needed. But if you simply want to capture a memory of a place or an event a wider than normal angle will allow you to include some of the foreground and this is the view you see with your eyes.

If you are buying from a local camera store don't be frightened by once owned as long as they guarantee it. Despite what the manufacturer's marketers will suggest cameras have not changed much over the last few years.

What do I use? For my work I use an Olympus micro four thirds with masses of alternative lenses. For my holiday I take my wife's Ricoh DR. It does not come with a viewfinder but they sell them as an accessory. Results. I would defy you to spot which enlargements on my study wall are from which camera.

Come back with any questions you want. I will subscribe to this thread so I can reply quickly.

Tony

London UK

Thank you. I will be looking up all of these and then deciding. You guys are thinking exactly what I am looking for and I thank you. One question what does mirrorless mean?

Kathy

I found this definition of a mirrorless camera online

“A digital camera that accepts different lenses. Also called a "mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera" (MILC), "hybrid camera" and "compact system camera" (CSC), the body is thinner than a digital SLR (DSLR) because it does not use a mechanical mirror to switch the scene between the optical viewfinder and image sensor.”

As a keen amateur photographer for the past 50 years I second Tony's post.

My main camera is a Nikon digital SLR plus selection of lenses, but also have a Fuji mirrorless plus selection of lenses. One advantage of a mirrorless camera over an SLR is that usually when you alter a setting you immediately see the effect on the screen or in the viewfinder, which when using manual control allows me to make changes quickly "on the fly". I bought my wife a Fuji T-1 mirrorless (since superseded by the T-2). This takes interchangeable lenses, the cost of which may push up the price beyond your budget, but for what you describe you will most likely not need the latest version of anything (though hinged screens are useful, especially for overhead shots). With a kit zoom lens (a kit lens is one which comes with the camera, not as good as a more expensive one bought separately but should be adequate for your purpose) a T-1 or T-2,new or secondhand from a reputable dealer would be a good choice though there are other similar cameras from other manufacturers which I have not used and cannot speak for,

I also have a Sony RX 100 III compact for my work as a surveyor, which would be within your budget. This fits into my pocket, is solid and well built with a good lens having a modest zoom range (can be extended digitally but with some loss of quality which you may not notice unless you are going for large prints or screen display), built in viewfinder, articulated screen and the ability to shoot fully automatic, fully manual and anywhere in between. I often stick it in my pocket to have "just in case" when I don't want to take a larger camera). Again there are others which I cannot speak for as I have not used them, but Lumix cameras from Panasonic are highly regarded.

Camera phones nowdays have lots of pixels but for many technical reasons (I can explain if needed) they would probably not give the same quality for a large print or screen display as a camera with a larger sensor but fewer pixels. Though they are useful as a backup, camera phones do not have a wide angle view, only a digital telephoto, which can be very restrictive when you are close up to something, unless you purchase a clip on wide angle lens which has its own problems.

Paul

As a keen amateur photographer for the past 50 years I second Tony's post.

My main camera is a Nikon digital SLR plus selection of lenses, but also have a Fuji mirrorless plus selection of lenses. One advantage of a mirrorless camera over an SLR is that usually when you alter a setting you immediately see the effect on the screen or in the viewfinder, which when using manual control allows me to make changes quickly "on the fly". I bought my wife a Fuji T-1 mirrorless (since superseded by the T-2). This takes interchangeable lenses, the cost of which may push up the price beyond your budget, but for what you describe you will most likely not need the latest version of anything (though hinged screens are useful, especially for overhead shots). With a kit zoom lens (a kit lens is one which comes with the camera, not as good as a more expensive one bought separately but should be adequate for your purpose) a T-1 or T-2,new or secondhand from a reputable dealer would be a good choice though there are other similar cameras from other manufacturers which I have not used and cannot speak for,

I also have a Sony RX 100 III compact for my work as a surveyor, which would be within your budget. This fits into my pocket, is solid and well built with a good lens having a modest zoom range (can be extended digitally but with some loss of quality which you may not notice unless you are going for large prints or screen display), built in viewfinder, articulated screen and the ability to shoot fully automatic, fully manual and anywhere in between. I often stick it in my pocket to have "just in case" when I don't want to take a larger camera). Again there are others which I cannot speak for as I have not used them, but Lumix cameras from Panasonic are highly regarded.

Camera phones nowdays have lots of pixels but for many technical reasons (I can explain if needed) they would probably not give the same quality for a large print or screen display as a camera with a larger sensor but fewer pixels. Though they are useful as a backup, camera phones do not have a wide angle view, only a digital telephoto, which can be very restrictive when you are close up to something, unless you purchase a clip on wide angle lens which has its own problems.

Paul

Paul and everyone

Here in South Florida we do not have any camera stores per say. We only have the big box stores like Brands Mart and Best Buy. If I go to them I am going to get part time people who just want to make a sale.

As Bloodaxe said I am more confused that ever. Two people have given me names of cameras and that is what I need. I need to know what I asked in my original post. I am not a picture taker and never have been. My travels are in my head. I just want these because of the Holy Land. So please please help me but give me a name of a camera and why I should buy it. Please, today is Cyber Monday and I wanted to buy it while on sale but I am very confused

HELP...........lol (not yelling just need help)

Kathy

That Olympus TG-5 is a point and shoot. I don't own that model but point and shoots will be the easiest. I saw the camera listed on amazon for $400. Since you don't have access to a brick and mortar site the best recommendation is to check the reviews and questions section of the cameras that interest you. Once a decision is made, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE till you are comfortable with the camera.

Edited by rmf11699
typo

rabin1 . . . I believe that there are several Ritz Camera stores in your area. I have found their personnel (although I have not been to a Ft. Lauderdale location) to be both knowledgable and helpful.

Kathy,<br><br>If it was a car we would want to know whether it was for driving fast on the freeway or in city traffic, is economy or performance more important? A camera is no different.<br><br>I've been to Israel many times and have family and friends there. A wide angle is more useful than a telephoto as you are likely to be shooting close up, and a modest telephoto on the zoom should be sufficient.<br><br>I udnerstand B & H Photo in Brooklyn have good prices  but its best to get your hands on the camera before you order - a bit like test driving a car.  All the cameras I have are more expensive than your budget. Here is my compact:<br><br>https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049537-REG/sony_dscrx100m3_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_iii_digital.html<br><br>I wouldn't want to recommend a camera I've not tried out.<br><br>You need to allow extra for a spare battery to carry with you, and a charger - not every camera comes with a separate charger as you can charge in camera but it can be a problem if you forget to charge or the battery runs out during the day. A third party battery and charger would be cheaper than the manufacturer's own, but the battery may not last as long. You also need extra memory cards,  and a way of backing up the photos in case the camera or card malfunction or the camera is stolen. Possibilities include downloading to a tablet or laptop or to the cloud. I have a portable battery hard drive with slots for the memory cards but that would be beyond your budget. However, if you have a small external hard drive you may be able to connect that to a computer on the ship to download from your camera - somebody else can advise if this is allowed. Keep the backup device in your carry on, and keep the used memory cards separate fromthe camera and backup device when travelling - eg in your wallet, and on board or in a hotel keep them in the safe.<br><br>Paul <br>

Honestly, if I were making that decision, I'd opt for a new phone with a great camera or a GoPro.

There are clip-on lenses for phones that allow for lots of zoom. Most people cannot distinguish between the pictures taken with a good camera and the pictures taken with a good phone.

I also love my Go-Pro.... It's weatherproof and waterproof, can be used underwater, and is really small and convenient. It's a super travel camera!

Honestly, if I were making that decision, I'd opt for a new phone with a great camera or a GoPro.

There are clip-on lenses for phones that allow for lots of zoom. Most people cannot distinguish between the pictures taken with a good camera and the pictures taken with a good phone.

I also love my Go-Pro.... It's weatherproof and waterproof, can be used underwater, and is really small and convenient. It's a super travel camera!

Agree that the Go-Pro as an action camera is very good, I have the Olympus Tough TG Tracker action Camera which offers similar facilities as the GP, however like the GP the wide angle is too wide for everyday photo’s and there is no zoom facility. I think what Kathy is looking for is a good easy to use point and shoot compact camera, that can easily slip into a pocket. If she wants something robust, the Olympus Tough series are excellent with a short optical zoom and the added benefit of being waterproof.

Edited by Azamarajunkie
spelling

I thought the GoPro only took video. It also takes still shots?

And does it require a monthly subscription app?