Silver Cloud (Antarctica) - Anyone on the December 1 or 11 cruise?

Carol From California

Anxiously waiting to hear from anyone who was on the recent December 1 Antarctica cruise since the first cruise (November 17) ended up being cancelled due to a mechanical problem. After that we all read that the December 1 cruise left a day late but how did the rest of the cruise go? Also wondering if the December 11 cruise is currently underway. Not hearing from anyone and we are booked in February....anxiously waiting for feedback and reviews, as I am sure others are waiting to hear as well.

Anxiously waiting to hear from anyone who was on the recent December 1 Antarctica cruise since the first cruise (November 17) ended up being cancelled due to a mechanical problem. After that we all read that the December 1 cruise left a day late but how did the rest of the cruise go? Also wondering if the December 11 cruise is currently underway. Not hearing from anyone and we are booked in February....anxiously waiting for feedback and reviews, as I am sure others are waiting to hear as well.

One of the girls onboard posted from Antarctica yesterday, so underway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our former travel agent is now on board loving the Cloud expedition experience. She says the service and staff have been great. She has posted a half dozen adorable penquin photos along with a baby elephant seal among chinstrap penguins snap on her facebook page. She took a nice shot from the Chilean research station which has many directional signs (11992 km to New York). Most of her photos are taken with the sun shining, in one photo she had to take off her outer wear (SS parka) since it was that warm. From her Facebook posts & pix, it is clear they are enjoying a wonderful Antarctica experience. Believe those of you booked can look forward to a similar enriching Antarctica experience too.

New to Silversea but we paid for our December 2018 cruise back in March 2017. They keep running an Early Booking Discount but keep rolling the due dates forward and raising the fare. It has gone up $4365 per person since we booked and paid for our 15-day Christmas cruise to Antarctica.

Edited by cflutist

Yes, it's not 'really' and early booking discount but the going rate. Psychologically, it works better as a marketing strategy than saying "Pay for your cruise in full now to guarantee this rate".

For my cruise, they extended the 'pay by date', but the fare remained the same. I'll find out tomorrow on the 29th if the fare increases... or they just extend the EBB 'pay by date' again.

If the fare increases, I won't feel quite so 'sucked in'. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
A new review of the December 11th trip has been posted and includes many more details than the previous two reviews:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=603669

Thank you for posting your detailed review! Sounds like it was a great and memorable cruise! We are getting excited for ours next month.