Dress code for meals on Silversea Explorer to Antarctica

YTOcruisers

Can anyone who had sailed on Silversea to Antarctica give us some insight if there is an expectation for how to dress for meals, in particular for dinner. I have the impression that more casual attire is acceptable but can’t seem to find it specified anywhere. Are jeans in good shape acceptable or is smart casual expected?

We are booked for Antarctica in February, 2018. We just received our cruise documents. In the booklet here is what it states about the dress code:

"Shipboard attire ranges from casual to informal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire is casual with the exception of the Captain's Welcome Aboard and Farewell Dinners, which are informal. On casual evenings open-neck shirts, trousers and casual wear are appropriate. On the two informal evenings women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; men wear jackets (tie optional). Remember to pack swimwear."

I think I read somewhere that they do not enforce a very strict dress code on the Antarctica expedition cruises. After all, you have so much heavy gear you have to pack and there are airline weight restrictions on the charter flights to/from Ushuaia. I doubt we will be packing dresses or jackets and we will have jeans.

"...standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts."

I don't have any "sports outfits" - don't even know what a 'sport outfit' is - and have never stayed at a five-star resort. The'll have to settle for a pair of Chinese Walmart 'Dockers' and a pseudo-'Polo' shirt.

"...standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts."

I don't have any "sports outfits" - don't even know what a 'sport outfit' is - and have never stayed at a five-star resort. The'll have to settle for a pair of Chinese Walmart 'Dockers' and a pseudo-'Polo' shirt.

I agree with you Bill. Silversea's dress code descriptions seem very old-fashioned to me.

What are the weight restrictions on the Charter flight to Ushuaia?

We already bought our Bogs boots and I plan to take trekking poles because I sure had a hard time hiking on permafrost in

Longyearbyen Svalbard Norway this year.

Does hubby need a sport coat with slacks? is a suit required? Or is dress shirt with tie ok?

Can I wear black slacks with different tops, and black sequins for Welcome/Farewell dinner? Is a cocktail dress (which requires another pair of shoes) preferred.

Worrying more than usual about packing on this 15-day Antarctica cruise. Plus have never sailed on Silversea before.

What are the weight restrictions on the Charter flight to Ushuaia?

We already bought our Bogs boots and I plan to take trekking poles because I sure had a hard time hiking on permafrost in

Longyearbyen Svalbard Norway this year.

Does hubby need a sport coat with slacks? is a suit required? Or is dress shirt with tie ok?

Can I wear black slacks with different tops, and black sequins for Welcome/Farewell dinner? Is a cocktail dress (which requires another pair of shoes) preferred.

Worrying more than usual about packing on this 15-day Antarctica cruise. Plus have never sailed on Silversea before.

I read that Ushuaia charter flight limit is 50 pounds pp in checked bag and one carryon bag each with 17 pound weight limit. We also bought the Bog boots and trekking poles. I have read that sometimes they don't check the carryon weight and sometimes they do. We are on the February 18 Antarctica cruise. Which one are you on? Waiting to get our airline tickets to see if it says anything about the weight restrictions. I don't think my husband is going to pack a sports coat but he will wear a dress shirt, and I will pack black pants with dressy top. Trying to limit the amount of clothes and shoes we take too.

Most people don’t wear jeans to dinner. My husband wears nice trousers and a long sleeve dress shirt. I am more a fashionista so wear either nice slacks with a sparkly top or a cocktail dress.

Rachel, just to verify, although you like to dress up, your husband just wears slacks and long sleeve shirts each night, is that correct? That is, at your recollection, jackets are not required for men on Captains night?

Women can always get by with anything from slacks to dresses. We certainly do not plan to wear jeans on Captains night, but I guess we might possibly on the first or last night of cruise.

Thanks

Rachel, just to verify, although you like to dress up, your husband just wears slacks and long sleeve shirts each night, is that correct? That is, at your recollection, jackets are not required for men on Captains night?

Women can always get by with anything from slacks to dresses. We certainly do not plan to wear jeans on Captains night, but I guess we might possibly on the first or last night of cruise.

Thanks

That is correct.No jacket required for men, though lots of men did have sports coats. But probably not even half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by RachelG

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505921&highlight=explorer+dress+code

Above is a link to an older thread discussing the same topic.

We did our fourth Explorer cruise last October/November. Dress was pretty much the same as the first three. I did bring a jacket because I like to wear one. It was nice to have when we (surprisingly) had dinner with the Captain on Venetian night. I also brought a tie or two because they take up zero room and you can wear the same shirt twice that way - once with tie and jacket, once without...

Especially in the Polar regions, a jacket is nice in the evening. But a sweater is just as warm and is more casual, and serves as a practical layer under your parka during the day.

So - if you want to wear a jacket, bring one. If you don't want to wear a jacket, don't bring one. And don't worry about it either way. There will be plenty of people dressing as you are, whether you have a jacket or you don't.

Both of us have worn black denim pants to dinner without an issue. I don't call them jeans per se because the material is thinner and they are not blue. That and a polo shirt would be fine on most nights.

Lunch and breakfast are definitely casual. Most wear what they wore ashore on excursions. Just clean off the penguin poop, please... :D