Bag Fees-Onboard Airline Check in

eva2015

We will be on Fantasy soon and have DCL transfers booked. We are interested in doing the onboard airline check in and I see "airline bag fees may apply". We have the Delta Skymiles AmEx and have status so we get free checked bags. Will DCL charge our onboard account regardless of airline status?

We will be on Fantasy soon and have DCL transfers booked. We are interested in doing the onboard airline check in and I see "airline bag fees may apply". We have the Delta Skymiles AmEx and have status so we get free checked bags. Will DCL charge our onboard account regardless of airline status?

Generally, yes baggage fees will be charged to your onboard account when DCL does the onboard airline check in for you. You can take the necessary documentation to Guest Services to show you don't have any baggage fees, and they will remove it.

You can go to GS with your documentation in advance and it shouldn't be charged. If the airline has attached the info to your reservation, you will not be charged. Or you can go to GS after the fact and have the charge removed. We've always found it easiest to make a stop at GS in advance and avoid any need for later corrections.

We got off the Fantasy of Saturday. I have status on American Airlines and never have to pay fees for checked baggage. We did the airline program through DCL. When we checked in at Port Canaveral we were not asked for our record locator number. We were asked for it once we were on the ship - the letter we got basically said they cannot do the program without a record locator number. We subsequently provided the number and everything went well, with one minor exception (see below). We were not charged any fees for checked baggage. I believe that with your record locator number in the DCL/airline system, your status will be known to the airline and no checked baggage fee assessed.

We do not consume very much alcohol and we had never purchased alcohol while on a cruise before, even after 20 DCL cruises! But, one of our adult children did buy a bottle of Tequila while in Cozumel. I realized when we had to check it in with the ship when we returned from Cozumel that this would create a problem with the airline checked luggage program. Alcohol purchases are picked up as you disembark the ship, but your luggage goes out the night before, and you cannot carry on alcohol. We worked it out, but it adds a twist if you are in the airline program.

Other than this minor twist, this is a great program. You put your bags out the night before the end of the cruise and the next time you see them is in your home airport!

We LOVE this program. I will point out one potential glitch however. If something happens to your luggage...lost, damaged, etc. the airline will claim it happened while in DCL's care and DCL will blame the airline. Your only recourse will be whatever luggage claim you can make on your insurance. We had a damage issue once. The shoreside CM for DCL was lovely, but they offered nothing other than an apology. Ditto the airline (less lovely, same result). Since you are totally unable to prove who caused the damage, it's tough luck.

We learned that first hand this past trip. We flew JetBlue on the last flight out, getting us in late on a Saturday night. We fly out of a small regional airport. We used the onboard check in and our bags did not arrive. Getting hold of anybody on the Disney side was next to impossible. I'm not sure how it works, but it wasn't only DCL, as there were a few resort guests who were on our flight and also were looking for their luggage. JetBlue were very accommodating and are bags were returned to us the next day. Never did hear what happened.

I'm a little puzzled by the above post. DCL's onboard check in is only available on domestic flights out of MCO. If your were flying out of a "small regional airport" like Sanford, you would not be able to use the onboard check in. The system works when flying TO any domestic airport on a participating airline.

In any event, glad that your luggage reappeared.