Why is there a lack of subforums for different cruise lines/regions?

Psoque

This is a question and perhaps a suggestion for people at CC:

Why are all river cruises topic lumped into one forum? I think it would be more helpful if the threads are organized into separate cruise lines, or separate rivers/regions.

My suggestions is either have separate sub-forums for the ten or so largest operators of river cruises, then have the "other operators" sub-forums for the rest:

or

Have one for Rhine, another for Danube, the "other European Rivers," "Asian Rivers," then "Other Regions/Rivers."

The first suggestion might make more sense.

I know the reason this has not been done. It's because river cruise customer base is still much smaller than that of ocean cruisers. However, I think it is a growing segment, and also it just makes more sense to have sub-forums, instead of it to be lumped together like this.

Actually, we did try having more focused boards in this area -- and it didn't work. I would actually like to eliminate the separate "River Cruise Ports" board because people don't really seem to know when to use it, and threads get even fewer replies there.

A challenging point, I do agree about ‘river ports’ but I also like dipping into other cruise lines posts, you can get different views on ports!, places and how the different companies tackle problems etc. Comparison by how others see things can be subjective but useful. CA

Given how similar the various itineraries are, sub-dividing the forum just makes it less likely that people who know the answer to the question will actually see it.

I doubt I would have noticed 'APT' if they had been in their own forum, but we are booked on an APT cruise now after reading more about them here.

I agree with lumping the "ports" into the general cruising section. I only look at it if the most recent post is for a cruise I will be on, and I probably miss some helpful posts. As to subdividing the boards by line or river, I don't think that's necessary as there aren't as many river cruisers as ocean cruisers and those who are looking for new cruises would miss a lot of posts.

The problem to me with separate forums by either cruise line or region is where do you ask general questions. For instance, before I took my first river cruise, I hadn't settled on a region or a cruise line. I was trying to gather information and compare, looking at what was included and what wasn't.

Roz

Separating by regions would allow for a good way to minimize scrolling while allowing for a meaningful comparison between different lines. I think comparing a Danube cruise by one line with a Mekong cruise by another makes no sense. Also, for those who needs advise on "where the heck should we go?," either asking specific question about a particular region (for example, what's the weather in Budapest in March? or Should I worry about insects in the Amazon?), I think, would be more constructive. Of course, there's nothing wrong about having a sub-forum titled "general river cruising" in addition to different regions would also be a good idea.

Even with river cruises concentrated in one forum there is not a lot of posting. The main page still has topics on it that have not been posted in for 5 days. The main ocean cruise lines have pages of current posted topics in one day.

Most of the postings in the River Cruise forum deal with Europe. If you were to break it out into regions most of the regions other than Europe would be lucky to get 1 post per week.

Even with river cruises concentrated in one forum there is not a lot of posting. The main page still has topics on it that have not been posted in for 5 days. The main ocean cruise lines have pages of current posted topics in one day.

Most of the postings in the River Cruise forum deal with Europe. If you were to break it out into regions most of the regions other than Europe would be lucky to get 1 post per week.

Exactly! That was the situation before we combined them all in to one. Don't worry: it's staying this way.

I'm not sure if I was clear enough in my original post, but one option I suggested is to have separate sub-forums for different regions.

Actually - if the River Ports thread is merged into the main River Cruising thread, then I could see the appeal of a geographical separation of this thread: (Europe river cruises, Asia river cruises, etc.). It would make sense, even if the Europe thread had more volume of posts than others. Just a thought, not a request.

Jazz, you do a great job with this thread! And I love the posts that I have read here. The posters are respectful and share great information. It’s such a welcoming, positive environment.

Thanks for all you do !