How Can Regent Corporate Improve???

Travelcat2

Not sure if this thread will be permitted but I'm giving it a try. There are at least two current threads that are critical of Regent Corporate/NCLH so, rather than going off topic on those threads, I thought that perhaps a venting thread would be helpful. Perhaps if we vent we can get on with the New Year in a positive way.

I'm aware of communication issues between Corporate and the ships, wrong answers sometimes given by Customer Service and website issues (that seem to be addressed in the past few months). I personally have difficulty with some new policies - specifically priority pre-boarding and the laundry promotion. IMO, those two items have been addressed on their own threads but there are likely more things that bothering people.

Looking forward to all responses.

Not sure if this thread will be permitted but I'm giving it a try. There are at least two current threads that are critical of Regent Corporate/NCLH so, rather than going off topic on those threads, I thought that perhaps a venting thread would be helpful. Perhaps if we vent we can get on with the New Year in a positive way.

I'm aware of communication issues between Corporate and the ships, wrong answers sometimes given by Customer Service and website issues (that seem to be addressed in the past few months). I personally have difficulty with some new policies - specifically priority pre-boarding and the laundry promotion. IMO, those two items have been addressed on their own threads but there are likely more things that bothering people.

Looking forward to all responses.

What bothers me most is the incessant obsession by certain posters with the laundry promotion topic. How many times can you beat a dead horse?

As for Regent corporate, I have no issues with them. They do a great job as far, as I am concerned, responding to difficult issues or questions and trying to stay ahead of the market trends to remain a leader in the industry—but you cannot please all of the folks all of the time. As a beneficiary of their loyalty benefits, I understand their need to attract new markets and do not feel threatened that it minimizes my benefits. I am certain they value their loyal customers.

How many times can you beat a dead horse?

At least 182 times looking at the post count...

I’d like to see Regent better integrate their IT systems. As it stands, there are way too many disconnects between booking excursions, dining reservations, etc. Some of the customer service reps could use some additional training, too. Most are pretty good, but I’ve dealt with some clueless people before, too. They need to fix their mailing database, too. I’d like to receive the big book annually, and I really don’t need the hundreds of other flyers that get binned upon receipt.

Better communication between Miami and the ships would also be nice.

So communication, training, and IT. Pretty much the shortcomings in any large company these days.

I am glad this thread has been started. As a shareholder in NCLH and a regular Regent cruiser it is important to me that NCLH and Regent keep up with, or ahead of, their competition.

One of the ways a company can improve is to take note of the concerns of their customers. We try to ensure that we offer constructive criticism whenever possible; for Regent this is by direct communication with their home offices, through the comment cards, by talking to Senior Officers & Company Directors and through these CC Forums.

We like the Regent all inclusive package. It suits us very well and when comparing the value of all the luxury lines Regent often comes out on top for us.

We have always found the Regent on-board experience to be excellent (with the odd issues normally swiftly addressed) but it would be good if management could address some other areas to ensure a truly luxury experience end-to-end; from time of booking till arriving home.

We have no problem in Regent trialling new ideas such as priority boarding for upper suites and/or loyal customers.

Anyway on to some things that we would like NCLH and Regent to consider:

• Improve the quality & consistency of on-shore services; particularly the organisation of transfers to the ships (sometimes good, sometimes appalling)
  • Address the numerous problems reported with Regent website glitches, database problems and customer notifications (Generally the website has seen an improvement but the interfaces and customisation in the 'My Account' section could be better)
  • Get some joined-up thinking between departments e.g. marketing and operations. Particular recent examples of annoying, embarassing problems:
    • aborted 2017 Northwest Passage cruise
    • arrival/departure times in Rangoon, Burma (tide tables)
    • included Wi-Fi access for all

[*]Ensure customer & staff feedback is incorporated into the internal design & layout of future ships

[*]Regular review of Regent SSS loyalty benefits to ensure they remain attractive

[*]Discounts for early invoice payments

[*]NCLH to pay dividends to their shareholders and improve shareholder benefits (OBC) for Regent guests

Thanks for starting this thread Travelcat/Jackie.

Excellent reply flossie009/Susan & David; would also like to see an early discount (e.g., 10% off cruise fare for early final payment like Silversea does, 2.5% like Crystal does also paying early lets u make dining ressies early on Crystal I believe). We enjoy the $250 SBC for being a NCLH shareholder (same as Carnival shareholders receive). Is there another benefit your thinking of as a NCLH shareholder?

Also, would like Seven Seas Society Benefits to offer a discount off the cruise fare once u reach certain loyalty levels (e.g. 5% off cruise fare for Platinum, 10% off cruise fare once u reach Titanium). Silversea offers 5% off cruise fare once u reach 100 days, and 10% off cruise fare once u have sailed 250 days.

Finally, designate select Regent sailings as Seven Seas Society sailings offering a discount if u book.

At least 182 times looking at the post count...

I’d like to see Regent better integrate their IT systems. As it stands, there are way too many disconnects between booking excursions, dining reservations, etc. Some of the customer service reps could use some additional training, too. Most are pretty good, but I’ve dealt with some clueless people before, too. They need to fix their mailing database, too. I’d like to receive the big book annually, and I really don’t need the hundreds of other flyers that get binned upon receipt.

Better communication between Miami and the ships would also be nice.

So communication, training, and IT. Pretty much the shortcomings in any large company these days.

Hear, hear!!!!

I would wish for a more orderly and supervised embarkation process. The sold out Explorer Christmas cruise from Miami December 20 experienced crowds going over the ropes,under the ropes and pushing through the ropes.Supposedly upscale passengers were anything but. So, for this type of fully booked cruise, could Regent provide more personnel to oversee the check in, out in the terminal. Or, arrange for the terminal staff to do that.

We haven't witnessed this behavior in 46 cruises.

I am new to Regent. Our first cruise with them will not be until Nov. But I am following all comments religiously to be fully informed of what to expect. But I am a long time cruiser mostly with Royal Caribbean. One piece of advice, something I have seen in too many places, is to be sure to not degrade the Regent's experience. Don't overbuild the company by adding so many ships that you can't keep them profitable, and don't cut the product. This has happened everywhere, including Royal Caribbean. Yes, it's cheaper to cruise Royal Caribbean than it was in the past, but it's not the same product. In an effort to expand the passenger base, Regent's needs to stay true to their product. Just my thoughts.

I would wish for a more orderly and supervised embarkation process. The sold out Explorer Christmas cruise from Miami December 20 experienced crowds going over the ropes,under the ropes and pushing through the ropes.Supposedly upscale passengers were anything but. So, for this type of fully booked cruise, could Regent provide more personnel to oversee the check in, out in the terminal. Or, arrange for the terminal staff to do that.

We haven't witnessed this behavior in 46 cruises.

We've been fortunate enough to never have seen this, but there have been some occasional glitches in embarkation. I'm sure that Regent doesn't have a lot of control at some ports, many ports are union and there are strict controls in place that the clients (cruise lines) just plain can't get around. But you'd think that with Regent being based in Miami they'd at least try and have a bit more oversight on the process. :confused:

Fortunately, the worst thing I've seen was one guy bypassing the entire check-in line and trying to push right up to the counter. When someone asked him what he was doing, he stated, "Well, I'm on this ship and I need to get aboard." We were all flabbergasted - like everyone in line to get on the ship wasn't in the same boat? (Pun intended) Needless to say, he was asked in no uncertain terms to move his happy derriere to the back of the line like a civilized person. Every time we saw him over the next two weeks he appeared to be in a sour mood - I think he was just one of those permanently unhappy people.

People. Whatcha gonna do, huh?

I really have had no problem with Regent's corporate office. While this is not really a problem with the corporate office, I personally wish the fares would drop down a bit. Oh, yeah, I could pay for them, but it bothers me that the cost of a cruise for us two is approaching the cost of a new car! And that couples with the fact that all their domestic included air seems to be non-upgradable economy, which we have to decline because we live in the middle of the US and economy air just hurts my old body!

Not trying to dominate this thread but will have occasional comments.

1. tripperva - Christmas cruises, some Caribbean cruises and most Alaska cruises bear no resemblance to typical Regent cruises. We were on a fully booked cruise out of Miami on the Mariner and no one went over or under the ropes or pushed to the head of the line. Regent cruisers do not typically do this (there are always one or two exceptions). These unusual itineraries tend to have people that are new to Regent - are part of families that are not versed in luxury cruising or simply have no idea what to expect. For these reasons, Regent regulars tend to avoid these itineraries - unless they are including their families on the cruise.

Additionally, keep in mind that - especially in Miami - that Regent has no input as to how the unionized workers will handle embarkation or disembarkation. So, perhaps we should blame the port rather than Regent. Actually, the worst embarkation that I've heard of was in Los Angeles on a recent thread. Again, since Los Angeles is part of the U.S., once again the unionized workers handled embarkation.

2. Wes - we already get discounts on Seven Seas Society sailings.

In terms of the dreamers on this thread, IMO, these are pipe dreams (discounts, etc.) and are unlikely to happen. However, some other luxury cruise lies do offer these discounts so you may want to give them a try.

Also, IMO, continually complaining about Regent will not necessarily get you anywhere. The obvious question from some of us is why you even continue to sail on Regent if there is so much wrong (wi-fi, ship design, etc.)

In terms of customer input for their new ships -- Regent went above and beyond in that area. They even had passengers visit the shipyard where they had mock-ups of the "new" suites on Explorer. IMO, it is unrealistic to expect Regent to spend millions of dollars to change what some people don't like when they build Splendor.

OTOH, I agree about communication between the ship and Corporate and it would be nice if the small problems that remain with the website were corrected. IMO, they are no longer big issues but instead should be easy to fix issues.

In a perfect world (one that I would love), all of the complaining and nit picking about Regent would disappear and people could simply share their experiences. If someone shares something that is unique or not typical, we could chime in. It is the constant complaining -- especially about things that Regent can't/won't change that I feel is a waste of time.

1. tripperva - Christmas cruises, some Caribbean cruises and most Alaska cruises bear no resemblance to typical Regent cruises. We were on a fully booked cruise out of Miami on the Mariner and no one went over or under the ropes or pushed to the head of the line. Regent cruisers do not typically do this (there are always one or two exceptions). These unusual itineraries tend to have people that are new to Regent - are part of families that are not versed in luxury cruising or simply have no idea what to expect. For these reasons, Regent regulars tend to avoid these itineraries - unless they are including their families on the cruise. (/quote)

Please, please stop saying this. It has a very condescending and patronizing tone to it. Clearly, Regent etc. would not be scheduling and selling these cruises if customers were not interested. We like a cruise where we do absolutely nothing in a very nice, comfortable style. To continually insist otherwise is insulting. Why in the world were you on one of "those" cruises in the first place? We don't care about racking up nights to get free laundry and other perceived goodies.

This one takes the cake.....did the thread starter not create this as a "venting" thread and end the posting with "looking forward to all responses"?. And then when the answers were not to her liking she chose to put down first time, inexperienced cruisers and disparage groups of Regent travelers? Just for fun, even though I'd sworn to stop mentioning it because I'm growing weary of the thread starter's constant pushback lest her hard earned, included laundry take a bit longer to get processed, I will state that we think two things would improve our Regent experience. A reasonable laundry package price (not per piece) should be offered to all travelers in all classes, and I believe that upper named suites (of which there are few) should be offered included laundry and pressing. As I've said before, we would gladly forgo some of the other perks on offer in the upper suites (caviar set up, hosted cocktail party, dinner with a senior officer,etc.) in order to enjoy included laundry.

1. tripperva - Christmas cruises, some Caribbean cruises and most Alaska cruises bear no resemblance to typical Regent cruises. We were on a fully booked cruise out of Miami on the Mariner and no one went over or under the ropes or pushed to the head of the line. Regent cruisers do not typically do this (there are always one or two exceptions). These unusual itineraries tend to have people that are new to Regent - are part of families that are not versed in luxury cruising or simply have no idea what to expect. For these reasons, Regent regulars tend to avoid these itineraries - unless they are including their families on the cruise. (/quote)

Please, please stop saying this. It has a very condescending and patronizing tone to it. Clearly, Regent etc. would not be scheduling and selling these cruises if customers were not interested. We like a cruise where we do absolutely nothing in a very nice, comfortable style. To continually insist otherwise is insulting. Why in the world were you on one of "those" cruises in the first place? We don't care about racking up nights to get free laundry and other perceived goodies.

TC I have really enjoyed most of your posts and your perspective, but at times your posts can sound very condescending and in some cases toward new Regent guests. I truly believe you don’t mean to come across that way, but please know that’s sometimes how it sounds. I’m not meaning to be negative, but just honest. IMO placing blame for problems on newcomers is not very welcoming to those of us who will soon enjoy our first Regent experience. And certainly without newcomers Regent will be hard pressed to fill all their cruises and all their ships. Especially with a new ship on the horizon.

I/we plan to behave appropriately (as we always try to do), go with the flow if things aren’t always perfect and enjoy what we’re sure will be a wonderful experience.

I feel truly blessed that we are in a position to even be able to consider (much less book) a luxury cruise.

I know this thread is about how can Regent Corporate improve, so will say the only glitch we’ve encountered (in our very limited experience and having yet to be on a ship) is with a couple website issues. The Regent personnel that we have dealt with ourselves (and through our TA) have all been very professional, friendly and helpful.

Fizzy and Morneau I agree wholeheartedly with both your posts.

TC2 you have started a thread here asking a question.

For CC participants to take the time to post in their views and opinions is very valued.

It is not for you to then disagree or make their views feel less important or disrespect them.

Why start a thread asking for input and then disagree with the posters opinions. ? Jean.

"In terms of the dreamers on this thread, IMO, these are pipe dreams (discounts, etc.) and are unlikely to happen. However, some other luxury cruise lies do offer these discounts so you may want to give them a try.

Also, IMO, continually complaining about Regent will not necessarily get you anywhere. The obvious question from some of us is why you even continue to sail on Regent if there is so much wrong (wi-fi, ship design, etc.)

In terms of customer input for their new ships -- Regent went above and beyond in that area. They even had passengers visit the shipyard where they had mock-ups of the "new" suites on Explorer. IMO, it is unrealistic to expect Regent to spend millions of dollars to change what some people don't like when they build Splendor.

OTOH, I agree about communication between the ship and Corporate and it would be nice if the small problems that remain with the website were corrected. IMO, they are no longer big issues but instead should be easy to fix issues.

In a perfect world (one that I would love), all of the complaining and nit picking about Regent would disappear and people could simply share their experiences. If someone shares something that is unique or not typical, we could chime in. It is the constant complaining -- especially about things that Regent can't/won't change that I feel is a waste of time."

TC, I have learned a lot about Regent from you, but I have to agree totally with the last three posters. These threads are Cruise Critic threads about Regent not owned by TC whether you start it or not. IMHO, your comments above shut down open and honest communication. Unless you are an executive with NCLH or Regent how do you know that Regent won't consider the discounts or perks offered by some? Do you really believe that the SSS department is not looking at what others are doing and consider them (even non luxury brands)? Since when do you speak for Regent?? I was thinking about starting a thread on possible adds to the SSS program. The reason I didn't was exactly what I see you doing. Numerous times you have said Regent won't consider something. How do you know that? Just because someone have a concern you don't like or agree with why should they sail with someone else? When people share their experiences, there will be complaints. If we see trends, good and bad, people should post them so Regent can see them. Why should this board be just all positive things? The purpose is to share and learn. Whether you like it or not, based on the level of suite you book, your well earned SSS level and the fact that you know so many crew on the ships you ARE treated differently. I will be gold on our next voyage, I am pleased with that. However, when I sail and post a review I call them as I see them, but every time I emphasize that the problems weren't enough that we didn't enjoy our cruise, but there were issues, and we brought them to someone's attention, and sometimes they weren't fixed. I will continue to share my experiences and contribute when I believe I can add value.

TC I have really enjoyed most of your posts and your perspective, but at times your posts can sound very condescending and in some cases toward new Regent guests. I truly believe you don’t mean to come across that way, but please know that’s sometimes how it sounds. I’m not meaning to be negative, but just honest. IMO placing blame for problems on newcomers is not very welcoming to those of us who will soon enjoy our first Regent experience. And certainly without newcomers Regent will be hard pressed to fill all their cruises and all their ships. Especially with a new ship on the horizon.

Sorry that you took my comment as condescending. In terms of the cruises I mentioned, I'm just speaking the truth - they are different and not representative of Regent cruises. Christmas and Alaska cruises are full of children and families. This in and of itself is unusual. Not blaming or putting down the families -- just would not care to be on those cruises. On typical cruises, our favorite passengers are newbies. And, the main reason I'm on CC is to share information with people considering Regent or are new to Regent.

In terms of this thread, a poster indicated how horrible the boarding was before Christmas and questioned the behavior of luxury passengers. My response was to let people new to Regent know that the Christmas cruises are not "typical" Regent cruises. Had I or someone else not responded, it would leave people that haven't sailed on Regent think that passengers climbing under and over ropes and bypassing the line was typical behavior.

Any CC members can respond on any thread - even ones that we start ourselves. And it is certainly okay to disagree. What I have posted are my opinions - no different than anyone else that posted on this thread.

Sorry that you took my comment as condescending. In terms of the cruises I mentioned, I'm just speaking the truth - they are different and not representative of Regent cruises. Christmas and Alaska cruises are full of children and families. This in and of itself is unusual. Not blaming or putting down the families -- just would not care to be on those cruises. On typical cruises, our favorite passengers are newbies. And, the main reason I'm on CC is to share information with people considering Regent or are new to Regent.

In terms of this thread, a poster indicated how horrible the boarding was before Christmas and questioned the behavior of luxury passengers. My response was to let people new to Regent know that the Christmas cruises are not "typical" Regent cruises. Had I or someone else not responded, it would leave people that haven't sailed on Regent think that passengers climbing under and over ropes and bypassing the line was typical behavior.

Any CC members can respond on any thread - even ones that we start ourselves. And it is certainly okay to disagree. What I have posted are my opinions - no different than anyone else that posted on this thread.

I can't comment on holiday cruises but we have been on many, many beach type cruises and have never seen loads of children and families on board and as long as all adults and kids behaved appropriately, I wouldn't care one bit. It wouldn't hurt to have things be a little more lively and fun.

1. tripperva - Christmas cruises, some Caribbean cruises and most Alaska cruises bear no resemblance to typical Regent cruises. We were on a fully booked cruise out of Miami on the Mariner and no one went over or under the ropes or pushed to the head of the line. Regent cruisers do not typically do this (there are always one or two exceptions). These unusual itineraries tend to have people that are new to Regent - are part of families that are not versed in luxury cruising or simply have no idea what to expect. For these reasons, Regent regulars tend to avoid these itineraries - unless they are including their families on the cruise.

Sorry TC, but in this particular case, your information is not correct. The Explorer holiday cruise was largely Regent regulars. The Seven Seas Society reception was attended by nearly the whole ship as they were Regent regulars. And yes,the embarkation was unfortunately a little uncivilized. In keeping with the subject of this thread, perhaps Regent could plan ahead for the next holiday Miami sailing. We're booked.

Sorry TC, but in this particular case, your information is not correct. The Explorer holiday cruise was largely Regent regulars. The Seven Seas Society reception was attended by nearly the whole ship as they were Regent regulars. And yes,the embarkation was unfortunately a little uncivilized. In keeping with the subject of this thread, perhaps Regent could plan ahead for the next holiday Miami sailing. We're booked.

So, are you saying that there weren't more children on this cruise than during the rest of the year (excluding summer?) If that is the case, it was indeed unusual. It is also unusual for people to be climbing over and under the rope that are meant to keep people out (or keep them in an orderly line). I guess that Regent passengers are not as well mannered as I thought.

Unfortunately there is nothing that Regent Corporate could do to improve the boarding process since the port is in charge and the people you see working are unionized port workers.

As a side note - anyone can attend the Seven Seas Society event - no one checks whether or not you were invited or are a repeat guest. I can certainly see Regent passengers that invited their family on the cruise for Christmas inviting them to the cocktail party. This is one of the reasons that I started this thread - it is assumed that Regent is in charge of everything which is not true when boarding and disembarkation is done in the U.S. Once you get outside of the U.S., I've seen Regent crew and performers checking guests in, etc. Boarding and disembarkation is typically but not always easier anyplace other than the U.S.

How can Caribbean/Alaska/Christmas cruises not be typical Regent experiences when in total they make up almost half of all Regent offerings?

Have to agree with you, any Regent Cruise is a typical Regent Cruise experience or it wouldn't be Regent. However I think some posters here on CC boards could make a cruise not a typical Regent Cruise.

How can Caribbean/Alaska/Christmas cruises not be typical Regent experiences when in total they make up almost half of all Regent offerings?

It is what it is. Even crew members are aware of the differences in the cruises. Didn't know that these cruises made up half of Regent offerings. BTW, I am not counting Alaska cruises in May or late August. IMO, the most challenging cruises are Christmas followed June/July in Alaska.

I can't put my finger on why Caribbean cruises can be difficult (aside from Christmas). Miami to Miami itineraries do skew older and people that do like to fly tend to book these cruises. These cruises are also a draw for people outside of the U.S. that can easily fly to Miami. We stopped doing Caribbean cruises (which we have done on Oceania and Silversea as well as Regent) some time ago. They consistently feel "different" (in some ways that I cannot discuss on CC).

Besides from discussions I've had with the crew, we have sailed Regent many times - in various areas of the world. I also read Cruise Critic every day and feel 100% that these itineraries do not necessarily provide the Regent Experience that other itineraries provide.

Rather than say what is different, it is easier to say what typical Regent cruises seem like to me. Itineraries are over 14 nights. The passenger mix age wise is from the 30's - 80's with around 75% repeat customers and 25% newbies. Passengers are active - polite - well traveled and are a happy - easy to approach group. They do not hog chairs by the pool nor would they climb under/over the ropes that were meant to keep them out of the boarding area. They understand and follow the dress code. This is how almost all of our cruises are now that we have learned which areas and months to avoid.

The title of this thread suggests it is about how Regent Corporate could improve. In an attempt to bring it back to its original purpose I have a suggestion for Regent Corporate:

• label each listed cruise with a tiny symbol that indicates whether the cruise is a typical cruise or an atypical cruise.

Despite the tightening labor market, I'm guessing Regent Corporate management could find someone to do this. ;)