First time on DCL - Help with Gratuities

woods79

I am currently holding a booking for a 7 day sailing on the Fantasy in May 2019.

This will be our first Disney cruise, and need help to understand how their gratuities work - are they automatically added to your onboard account? What are the typical daily amounts? Any other helpful info is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you do nothing, gratuities of $12 per guest are added for each night of the cruise, so that's $84 per guest on a 7 night cruise. The big difference between DCL and other lines it that DCL adds them as one chunk at the end, not each day as a separate entry.

If there are 2 guests in your cabin, that would be $168....you can add for additional people. You will get a form in your cabin that will allow you to increase or decrease the tips, or to remove them all together (if you plan to tip in cash). You'll also get envelopes in your room--if you charged the tips, place the charge coupon in each envelope and give it to the appropriate individual. If you wish to tip in cash, place the cash in the envelope and present it to the person.

I'll put in a big push for my pet peeve. Tips for the stateroom host should be increased in concierge suites. The host is cleaning 2-3 times as much as in a standard cabin including an extra bathroom. He/she deserves more than he'd get in a normal cabin. And if a guest is cruising in a concierge suite, the family can afford a few extra bucks for the dude doing the cleaning.

I am currently holding a booking for a 7 day sailing on the Fantasy in May 2019.

This will be our first Disney cruise, and need help to understand how their gratuities work - are they automatically added to your onboard account? What are the typical daily amounts? Any other helpful info is greatly appreciated!

Just adding: as noted the gratuity added to your onboard account is $12.00 per guest (each person in the room) per night. That $12.00 breaks out to $4.00 per guest per night to your stateroom host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server.

Also, any purchased beverages have a 15% gratuity automatically added. That amount is pooled to be shared by all drink servers/bartenders.

The spa has an auto gratuity of 18%.

Kid's club workers cannot accept gratuities.

Any time you purchase a "bar item," there is a line for "additional gratuity." Anything you place on that line goes to the person who served you. But remember, you've already tipped 15%.

Same deal at the spa, but there you've already tipped 18%,

Whether you add any additional is totally your choice.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!

Yes, I did in error! Not really used to the app and couldn't figure out how to delete after it posted. A newbie to DCL and a newbie to posting via the app. :o

But I do really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Does the $84 pp number apply to children under 3?

It applies to every human who has a heartbeat and breathes air.

Seriously, why would an infant or toddler be exempt from gratuities? They make more mess and work for the staff than many adults. Your stateroom host will empty the diaper genie twice a day and deal with the crib per your instructions (take it down each morning and re-set it in the evening or leave it up so it is available for naps). He'll bring you a bottle warmer if requested (limited number available on board). And he'll do his best to deal with any other requests the child needs or wants. Want princess or superhero sheets for your toddler's bed? Again, limited supply on board, but you'll get them.

Your server and assistant will assure that any food you wish for the child is prepared to your specifications--pureed vegetables with no salt? No problem. Chicken noodle soup at every meal? Yeah, we can do that. We once found out after the fact that our server had gone to Pluto's go get a hamburger when my child wanted one and they weren't being prepared in the dining room that night! They will entertain your kids at dinner, have a high chair ready when you come in (freshly cleaned and sanitized as you'd expect)....and after you leave they'll clean up the mess that toddlers seem to make. I used to joke that I'd look at the floor and tip accordingly.

Yes, your team will earn every penny of the tip that is expected on behalf of your toddler.

It was a straightforward question and a straightforward answer would have sufficed. I didn’t say they should be exempt I just asked if they were the same rate. The reason they might not be the same rate is obvious, they are a different rate for the cruise fare. I suspected that they cost the same but I wasn’t sure, that’s why I asked. Anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Sorry if I offended you.

By your logic, the tips might also be reduced for the third and fourth person in any cabin because they pay a reduced cruise fare compared to the first two. Or should be raised if the 3rd person is 13 or older because there is a surcharge to the "3rd person" charge for anyone over 12.

Bottom line, you have the answer as to the standard tip. You are also free to adjust up or down as you see fit.

Sorry if I offended you.

By your logic' date=' the tips might also be reduced for the third and fourth person in any cabin because they pay a reduced cruise fare compared to the first two. Or should be raised if the 3rd person is 13 or older because there is a surcharge to the "3rd person" charge for anyone over 12.

Bottom line, you have the answer as to the standard tip. You are also free to adjust up or down as you see fit.[/quote']

Correct, that is the logic as to why the answer isn’t obvious. I wasn’t suggesting that children should account for a smaller amount only that I didn’t know. Again thanks for answering my question.

It was a straightforward question and a straightforward answer would have sufficed. I didn’t say they should be exempt I just asked if they were the same rate.

It's a fair question. Some cruise lines suggest the daily gratuity for passengers "3 and over" and auto-bill it only for those passengers of that age and older. Disney is a more expensive / upscale cruise line than those, with stricter cancellation policies and some items like this that seem to be disadvantages. But Disney offers such a different experience that they can charge a premium and we still love them.

Correct, that is the logic as to why the answer isn’t obvious. I wasn’t suggesting that children should account for a smaller amount only that I didn’t know. Again thanks for answering my question.

Thanks for posting your question; it was very helpful to me as well and clarified this. Thanks again