Cruise Line Special Services offices

Splinter

Special Needs number or email (preferably) for Windstar?

Special Needs contact info contained in this link https://d2xks5907lvzsh.cloudfront.net/media/plan_your_voyage/cruise-documents/passage_contract_clean_072517.pdf

Have your read the information on Windstar's website pertaining to "PASSENGERS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS" ? Here's the link https://www.windstarcruises.com/accessibility/

Hope you plan to be with your husband at all times. Reason being that there have been reports on CC over the years of passengers on various ships having left their loved one with Dimentia alone to fend for themself. Thus resulting in the individual becoming confused, disoriented and asking for assistance from passengers and cruise staff. The end result was that everyone in the party was off-loaded at the next port. No Refunds nor travel allowances provided by the cruise line.

All cruise contracts have a form of a "Fit to Travel Clause". In short the individual must travel with a companion or hire an aid to come along to tend to said passenger 24/7 as it is not the responsiblity of the cruiseline and or its staff to provided such services.

• Like 1

OK, thanks.

Hope you plan to be with your husband at all times. Reason being that there have been reports on CC over the years of passengers on various ships having left their loved one with Dimentia alone to fend for themself. Thus resulting in the individual becoming confused, disoriented and asking for assistance from passengers and cruise staff. The end result was that everyone in the party was off-loaded at the next port. No Refunds nor travel allowances provided by the cruise line.

Noted.

Oddly discouraging post but I expect you mean well. We shall try not to discommode other passengers. Have you personally had a negative experience with a disabled traveler?

Edited by OctoberKat

OK, thanks.

Noted.

Oddly discouraging post but I expect you mean well. We shall try not to discommode other passengers. Have you personally had a negative experience with a disabled traveler?

Yes it's discourging but you needed to know this. More often than not it's the care person that needs the vacation and not the person with dimentia. As is the case at times a cruise is selected being that the staff is very thoughtful and helpful. Because of this the care person may think that all they need to do is give the cabin attendent a big tip to check in on their loved one and order room service if needed while the care person takes a couple hours for themselves and goes ashore, The reality is that's not how it works. Most people are oblivious to the "Fit to Travel Clause". Better you know this all up front and plan accordingly. It's a hard lesson to learn as you're being kicked of the ship, It's happened more than has even been posted on CC.

If you choose to go than I wish you well ,

There's been much posted on CC about crusing with a loved one with dimentia. Regretably most of the treads don't recommend it. Perhaps you might consider doing a search for past threads.

Am the disabled traveler but do not have cognitive issues. Have been the recipiemt of rude, cruel and incentive comments from able bodied people on occasion but have never been kick off a ship. I'm able to handle all my own needs.

Regret you have had negative encounters. They must have soured you and that is a shame.

Trust that I am fully cognizant of and committed to my responsibilities with Jim on and off ship. His most notable behavioral issue is telling the same stories over and over again so we most often dine solo or, at most, with another couple we have met on board who seem copacetic and are aware of Jim's nature.

We travel often; since Jim's diagnosis we've been to Mexico three or four times a year; the Eastern Townships in Quebec province last fall; to LA in January for our 46th anniversary; to Fiji last year; Hawaii twice last year; Thanksgiving in Delaware; Cabo in March; plus semi local respites in Point Reyes and Big Sur, etc. We have two cruises under our belt, 10-day Western Caribbean and 18-day Barbados - Amazon (Manaus) and back. Plus two canal barge "cruises" in the Loire Valley and Burgundy with side stays in Paris. No need for research, we know how to travel with dementia.

Jim's neurologist heartily endorses travel for those who are accustomed to it. So the general caution regarding travel for those with dementia is misplaced in our case. It may not be the right course for all but, for me and Jim, it is wonderful.

So, yes, we are going indeed, with bells on.

Edited by OctoberKat
  • Like 1

Regret you have had negative encounters. They must have soured you and that is a shame.

You've made an assumption that's totally incorrect.

My experience with incentive abled bodied people most definitely hasn't soured me. I'm actually one of the most up beat disabled individuals you'd ever meet. Have traveled to 5 of 7 continents and over 300 countries living with the affects of MS. Lived and worked in Asia 26 weeks a year for over 15 years never disclosing my disability to any employer. Continue to travel including cruising with no assistance. That hardly adds up to being soured.

Hope all goes well for you and Jim.

You do sound sour in your posts in this thread.

No assumption. You posted above "Have been the recipiemt of rude, cruel and incentive comments from able bodied people on occasion but have never been kick off a ship" Sounds negative to me. In any case, I regret you endured rude and cruel comments.

Edited by OctoberKat

• 2 months later...
hi,

I copied this from the "Princess abandoned us" thread. We still have heard nothing back from Princess. Today we write the marketing people at Carnival. Princess has a handicap Coordinator named Jan Tuck. I have no idea how to contact this individual.

What are the requirements for getting a handicapped cabin on Princess?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I will need a wheelchair rental for an entire NCL Jade cruise in February. Is there an agency that will have the rental available right from stepping out of the taxi at the Port of Miami?

Is there a handicap entrance that we can get to from the road?

Is Harvest Cay handicap accessible? I want to know cruisers experience, not the NCL line in the brochure.

I have many past cruises but not with a wheelchair. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Lynda

• 8 months later...