Which ship or itinerary for newbies?

muggo11

When I lived in Hawaii O, knowing HI rep, routed me HNL-LAX-PPT for a reason. Its a far better choice to go LAX to PPT.

Based on what you stated above and starting from your then-home on the Big Island and going to HNL-LAX-PPT, that totals fourteen to fifteen hours of flying alone.

Well itis 4.75 hours SFO Or LAX to HNL and then 6 to PPT 10.75 hours plus ground expense hotels, cabs, meals.

Where did this itinerary come from? It isn't what you mentioned in your first statement.

Riviera doesn't do the world cruise, the Insignia does.

a most wise idea... why test drive a Mercedes to see if you will like a Ford? It makes total sense to take Insignia if your planning on 180 days on her..... No other cruise, ship, line will give you a comparison. Marina and Riviera be a mistake to experience and then think they are like Insignia .

We will only sail on the Riviera or Marina. We have toured the smaller ships and was taken aback by the small staterooms and teeny bathrooms.

Agree that the itinerary is subjective. It also depends upon what you have done previously. We have done the Mediterranean, Alaska and Caribbean so many times that we can't imagine going there again. We love Asia and Scandinavia but they are pricey itineraries.

Also agree that you need a TA that regularly books Oceania so that you will get a rebate on your cruise fare and will likely get included gratuities and on board credits on many itineraries.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Hawaiian Airlines flies the HNL- PPT once a week. Period. There are no later flights or options. If they have problems, and your embarkment date/time is before they resolve the problem. It’s your problem to catch up with the ship. I am spending more for air than the price of the cruise to get a good workable flight, from BNA, to PPT!

2. The difference between the R ships and the two O ships are so huge, and so significant, on so many levels no parallel can be drawn between the two. There is a reason some posters only sail O ( Marina or Riveria) ships!

3. Pick an itinerary you like on an R ship and see how it works for you, if you are considering an 180 cruise on a R ship.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Hawaiian Airlines flies the HNL- PPT once a week. Period. There are no later flights or options. If they have problems, and your embarkment date/time is before they resolve the problem. It’s your problem to catch up with the ship. I am spending more for air than the price of the cruise to get a good workable flight, from BNA, to PPT!

That can be true anywhere with any airline. If it be of possible comfort, HNL is Hawaiian's hub, which perhaps the best place to have a problem if one occurs.

On another note, define "workable". If you aren't in a hurry, Expedia shows a BNA/PPT round trip for $1,371.00.

Thanks, all. I did a search (you know the one, where cruise agents compete for your business) and about ready to book the 2020 Papeete to SF on Regatta using a TA—good price and perks.

Also researched 1-way flights to Papeete. AIR FRANCE has two from SF (via LA) that are relatively inexpensive ($410 each using April 2019 mock dates).

Now just trying to decide if O-life makes sense for us. We are not big drinkers but enjoy a cocktail or two plus wine with dinner. And tend NOT to use SHIP’s tours so these ports may be challenging from a tour supply perspective,which makes booking directly with guides difficult sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now just trying to decide if O-life makes sense for us. We are not big drinkers but enjoy a cocktail or two plus wine with dinner. And tend NOT to use SHIP’s tours so these ports may be challenging from a tour supply perspective,which makes booking directly with guides difficult sometimes.

Vis a vis Olife, please note that the included Beverage package only includes service at your dining table during luncheon and dinner. This is expandable to the Prestige package at a cost of $20 per person per day

One comment to add -- that there is another airline beginning service to PPT from SFO this year. That being United.

Flight leaves at 1425h and arrives at 2125 (9:25pm) -- Tues/Thur/Sun on a comfortable 787.

One comment to add -- that there is another airline beginning service to PPT from SFO this year. That being United.

Flight leaves at 1425h and arrives at 2125 (9:25pm) -- Tues/Thur/Sun on a comfortable 787.

Not sure it will be available in April, or in 2020 at all.

"United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval."

https://hub.united.com/2017-12-13-united-airlines-adds-the-south-pacifics-most-stunning-tropical-paradise-to-its-growing-list-of-new-routes-2567373615.html

That would beat Air France as most O cruise depart at 11 pm in PPT and its a 15 min taxi to the ship it takes less than 30 min to get bags and clear customs..... O does their charter on Tahiti Nui that gets in at 9:45 pm Other non charters air france included get in around mid night. TN, AF, HA. Its a very small airport no jet ways use air stairs .( Delta, AA, all code share with AF.

What is great with UA is the ability and excellent seats the 787 is killer good... and with UA to use FF points easily.... start now with the program if you haven't already

Thanks, all. I did a search (you know the one, where cruise agents compete for your business) and about ready to book the 2020 Papeete to SF on Regatta using a TA—good price and perks.

Not to say you did not get good perks and price but I know that site and it is a low ball deal the agents may or may not have any sway or get deals from O. Many times they are not really an O agent but they are working through someone who is. You may get perks but not as good as when you cut out the middle man In essence you may be buying from a 3ed party.

Search for O top agents who book LOTS of O cruises and are wired in... trust me do a bit more research dont settle till you talk to a Top O agency. I forget the name of the top tier group of agencies but maybe someone will help me.... .

We are booked on UA next February to PPT for our cruise.

Dan, fwiw UA never offered saver miles for that itinerary, only full boat. BC was 175K miles each way! Never varied, and even that wasn’t offered very long!

We caught a one day sale on tickets, other than that , they haven’t lowered prices at all!

Our tickets now would cost over $1K more than we paid.

We are booked on UA next February to PPT for our cruise.

Dan, fwiw UA never offered saver miles for that itinerary, only full boat. BC was 175K miles each way! Never varied, and even that wasn’t offered very long!

We caught a one day sale on tickets, other than that , they haven’t lowered prices at all!

Our tickets now would cost over $1K more than we paid.

Well that puts a damper on it...If I can go to Paris or Rome rt business for 60-70K why spend 175. ! Ball is back in Air france court.... Now a trick if your flying 1 way to or from Tahiti and know that a one way is he same as a rt ticket then try this: Book a flight on AF in Business to or from PPT. Then book in super economy a return ticket on the same reservation... you can split classes !!! This makes a 1 way Business about $1950.00 pp rather than $3600. You simply sail home from Tahiti or Sail to Tahiti and fly the other direction Throwing away the 2 nd flight. Don't make a habit of it in 1 year because the airline can object... Once a year fine.

top tier: O's Connoisseur Club.

and FWIW--i love R ships, and while we've sailed on Riviera the R ships are our favorites.

Thanks I love the R ship's Shower no problem, love having 1/2 the passengers as Marina or Riveria..

To out friends planning the Round the World..... do your self a favor check out several of the connoisseur club level O agents... see what they will do. You might be $uprised A lot !

Well that puts a damper on it...If I can go to Paris or Rome rt business for 60-70K why spend 175. ! Ball is back in Air france court.... Now a trick if your flying 1 way to or from Tahiti and know that a one way is he same as a rt ticket then try this: Book a flight on AF in Business to or from PPT. Then book in super economy a return ticket on the same reservation... you can split classes !!! This makes a 1 way Business about $1950.00 pp rather than $3600. You simply sail home from Tahiti or Sail to Tahiti and fly the other direction Throwing away the 2 nd flight. Don't make a habit of it in 1 year because the airline can object... Once a year fine.

Dan - now if you used the Chase Reserve card instead of your United Mileage Plus, not only would you be earning 3 points/$ spent on travel and food (better return than the UA card) but you could convert those points into either United or Air France miles (plus many other options). Thus you wouldn’t have to spend 175 on United but would have an option to fly AF for miles.

I call it a “no brainer” (despite the fact that I am not fond of that term):)

Dan - now if you used the Chase Reserve card instead of your United Mileage Plus, not only would you be earning 3 points/$ spent on travel and food (better return than the UA card) but you could convert those points into either United or Air France miles (plus many other options). Thus you wouldn’t have to spend 175 on United but would have an option to fly AF for miles.

I call it a “no brainer” (despite the fact that I am not fond of that term):)

Thanks.. good info I have a UAL card and 700K in my miles I am trying to burn them but they seem to keep re-appearing. My Chase Marriott business card gives me 6x for marriott 4x travel 4xgas 2x any other purchase. Need hotels more than flights that I only use international. domestic I fly 75% of my trips myself which is cheaper except of east coast trips.